Interesting observation on deer behavior

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,516 Senior Member
There's a small herd of 2 does and 3 fawns in the area. Just 2 days ago they were browsing across the street from my house and eventually crossed the street toward my house and walked right by my office window. I've seen them that close several times in the past year, as well as within a mile or so from the house.

What I find odd is that the 3 fawns and one of the does always stay close to each other, while the second doe hangs back a ways. She always seems to be 30-50 yards from the others, and lags behind them. I don't know if the 3 fawns are triplets and just want to stay close to mom, or if some other dynamic is in play.

Earlier this year I observed on several occasions a lone doe, which struck me as odd as does usually hang with other does. She did not appear very healthy, as I could see the outline of her ribs through her coat. I don't know if this is the same doe that I'm now seeing as the odd gal out, or a different deer.

I also saw a road-kill doe this summer just a few hundred yard from where I sometimes see this herd. I don't know if this doe was the mother of one or more of the fawns, and her offspring was adopted by the doe I see the fawns hanging close to.

Regardless, I find the herd dynamic interesting, and thought I'd just share this with the forum members. If you have any insight into what might be happening, please share.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,567 Senior Member
    She could just be bashful, or maybe the other doe has exerted some dominance on the other doe and she just stays back. I have one steer the exact same way, rarely hangs with other in herd and always beds down 30 to 50 yards away from the herd!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I don't know, Ive homed in a lone deer before only to have my movement busted by unseen deer behind near-by cover.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member
    Maybe the second doe is the older daughter of the doe with the triplets. Doesn't mamma deer run off siblings when her new babies are born?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,516 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Maybe the second doe is the older daughter of the doe with the triplets. Doesn't mamma deer run off siblings when her new babies are born?

Could be. I noticed that mama deer has a notch in her ear, perhaps an indication that she's been around for while.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.