Another .40cal Hog!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
Some buddies and I went out to my friends ranch for a couple days of long range shooting during the day and getting rid of some pigs at night. My friends ranch has several right-of-ways cut through the place that extend for great distances. We set up on one and strung steel micro IPSC Targets from 300 to 1,000 yards and spent the day pinging steel and playing with the wind. I think the greatest wind call of the day was 2.8 Mils at the 1,000 yard target or roughly 8.4 feet hold-off.

DSC_0011_zpsm5vbrx9s.jpg

The 1,000 yard target is at the red arrow.

DSC_0013%20-%20Copy_zpsp30uiqfw.jpg

After a dinner of Axis and Whitetail steaks and hearts, plus Pepper Poppers (Jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon) we were sitting around the fire when my friend spotted a hog walking the tree line at 888 yards away. We grabbed the guns and took off after him once he dropped into a low ditch. A mad dash, stalk, crawl, and running target later........we had the first pig as the sun set.

IMG_0465%203%20-%20Copy_zpsuw6d5paq.jpg

IMG_0472_zpsrzwmkoph.jpg

Back at camp, we waited for dark and headed out. I've had plenty of opportunities to play with pigs at night, so after a long day of shooting out to 1,000 yards, I let my buddies do most of the shooting while I spotted and assisted with target detection. By midnight, we'd gathered 5 more pigs of various sizes.

DSCN4143%20-%20Copy_zpsgs725fot.jpg

DSCN4146%20-%20Copy_zps7lzjblt0.jpg

(for example)

And came back to camp for a break and midnight snack on some more food. Sitting around the fire again, I spotted a lone boar on a ridge overlooking camp. I asked the guys if they minded me taking this one with my handgun. No worries.

I had brought my Glock Model 40 with the intent to take a pig with the 10mm and 180gr XTP bullets. But, I'd brought it with the .40 S&W barrel in the gun with the 10mm barrel and ammo in the case with it. Well, after spotting the pig, I grabbed the gun and took off after the boar. A good ways into the stalk, I remembered............I still had the .40 S&W barrel and ammo in the gun!!!! Crap. Too late now. I was already committed. I would just have to get closer.

I played sneak on the boar for about 45 minutes. The conditions were difficult the last 100 yards as the grass and brush was dry and crunchy. So, it was a step and wait affair. Step and wait..........step and wait. I had finally worked my way to about 20 yards and figured I was close enough. Now, I just needed to wait until he presented an acceptable angle. Which, finally came at a slightly quartering towards presentation. I placed the CT Laser just behind the point of his right shoulder and sent a 155gr Federal HST on it's way through the dark. On impact, the boar dipped, spun and took off through the tall grass. But, his mad dash only lasted a few seconds and he rolled to a stop in a heap after about 50 yards. D-E-A-D

(photo the following morning)

DSC_0029%20-%20Copy_zpsmjdamzjk.jpg

I was feeling somewhat skeptical with the distance and the fact I was using the 155gr bullet this time as opposed to the 180gr bullet I had previously tested on a pig. But, I had no cause for concern. The bullet dispatched the pig with rapid results. This builds GREAT confidence in my defensive ammo loaded in many of my guns. I have NO reservations with the .40 S&W when loaded with either 155gr or 180gr Federal HST. That stuff just flat works!!!

I'm not saying this is my new hunting rig/ammo. I still would prefer to have a 10mm. But, due to an oversight, I made due with what I had and it flat out worked. Very pleased.

We finished out the night getting 3 more pigs. Slept for about 3 hours and got back to shooting in the morning. A really good time.

All in all, we got some excellent range time and accounted for 10 pigs in one night. I have new confidence in my equipment and buddies. That'll do.

IMG_0451_zps6d2vsdad.jpg
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Those rifles look like serious equipment.
    I have a hard enough time with 200 yards, 1,000's too far for me.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Those rifles look like serious equipment.
    I have a hard enough time with 200 yards, 1,000's too far for me.

I you can see it, you can hit it. Just gotta have the right tool.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,725 Senior Member
    Nicely done :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Nicely done :up:

Thanks.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,934 Senior Member
    Another Well Done! from the not-so-white North.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,097 Senior Member
    That photo showing 1000 yards is pretty intimidating. I have sat and looked at 700 yards. I think that photo does a pretty good job of illustrating how far out it really is.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,334 Senior Member
    Great shooting and very good photography, as usual! If you're ever carjacked by a gang of D-6 bulldozers wearing fur coats, it's good to know that a "40 Short and Weak" will be able to take control of the situation with no problems!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That photo showing 1000 yards is pretty intimidating.

It looks a lot closer through the scope.:jester:
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,464 Senior Member
    What fun! Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,979 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    If you can see it, you can hit it. Just gotta have the right tool.
    THIS!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,979 Senior Member
    To Much FUN!
    Great wind call BTW!!!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I was looking at stuff from a deer stand this morning. There is a barn 900 and change from the stand (according to the antler insanity app rangefinder), that seems doable... but it is a barn not a man sized target.

A line of old two ton trucks, about 375. One of them faces the stand, I was looking at the headlight buckets through a 4x Scout scope. The buckets would measure 8-9", that looked like a completely doable shot with a better rest. I even ran some numbers into Hornady's ballistic calculator to get a rough dope. Definitely a doable shot.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,570 Senior Member
    Great shooting. Your science makes me feel really confident with the ammo in my P229 bedside gun, Thank You

You and your buds are sure doing your share of cutting down the hog population.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Great shooting. Your science makes me feel really confident with the ammo in my P229 bedside gun, Thank You

You and your buds are sure doing your share of cutting down the hog population.

It makes ME feel more confident as well!!

We try to do our part. :guns:
    I was looking at stuff from a deer stand this morning. There is a barn 900 and change from the stand (according to the antler insanity app rangefinder), that seems doable... but it is a barn not a man sized target.

Hey, at least you could say you can hit the broadside of a barn!

:applause:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,935 Senior Member

Just go up there and go in the barn
    maybe you won't miss.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    No autopsy?!?!?!? I'm dying to see what the 155s do internally :uhm:

Nah. We were too busy killing pigs.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks again Zee.
    It's because I hate Trump.
    Ok, not that it means much but impression on relative time to die vs the one you shot with the 180?

If you remember that the other pig fell over in 14 seconds, this one was on the ground faster. And from the outside, it appeared to be the same shot placement as far as entrance hole. Difference being that this pig was slightly quartering to me instead of broadside. He ran about 50 yards, but was on the ground much faster than 14 seconds. I was impressed.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,683 Senior Member
    Very nice. I need to get back on some long range shooting.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,288 Senior Member
    Impressive shooting with impressive results. Nice writeup as always!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,934 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Nah. We were too busy killing pigs.

Yep....a guy has to have priorities....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,825 Senior Member
    I am NOT real good with Handguns. Too old and shaky. But I wonder if Hipoint still makes those carbines? I would love one in a 40 or 10 mm. Those are awesome cartridges. If you can kill pigs like that with a pistol, I believe I could be quite deadly with one in an 18 1/2 inch barrel.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I am NOT real good with Handguns. Too old and shaky. But I wonder if Hipoint still makes those carbines? I would love one in a 40 or 10 mm. Those are awesome cartridges. If you can kill pigs like that with a pistol, I believe I could be quite deadly with one in an 18 1/2 inch barrel.

Kel-Tec Makes a carbine.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,565 Senior Member
    Very nice great shooting!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Way cool stuff! Real world results beats speculation with a barbed-wire bat. Were you able to harvest any of the pigs, or was this just straight eradication of pests?
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Way cool stuff! Real world results beats speculation with a barbed-wire bat. Were you able to harvest any of the pigs, or was this just straight eradication of pests?

There were some smaller shoats and a smaller sow that we took. The rest were boars that we hauled off in the brush for coyote bait.
    Thanks that's what I was looking for. I think for defensive rounds I'm beginning to be in the lighter/faster bandwagon. I wish you'd had a chance to do a postmortem to see the difference in internal damage.

What are the odds of you feeling jiggy enough to take one with the .357 SIG :devil:

If you remember, the pig I shot with the 180 HST was at 7 yards. This one was at 20 something yards. I'm not sure what the impact velocity difference would be, but I wouldn't anticipate a dramatic difference in internal damage. Just speculation, though. Neither are a high velocity round.

I wouldn't mind trying one with a .357 Sig. But, I'm not sure I want to tackle one with the gun I have it chambered in. A sub-compact Sig P239 with DAO trigger. I can't promise the field accuracy at 20+ yards with that gun that might be required.

Now, you wanna buy me a longer Lone Wolf barrel to go in my Glock Model 40...........we can sure give it a go!!!
    But, a new barrel would be SO much easier!!! I might even make it a priority then! Just for you!
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Nice going Zee. I haven't even seen a hog this year. All my buddies are covered in them and we are on the same property
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016