Home Main Category Personal Defense

Your Sphere of influence

bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior MemberPosts: 2,562 Senior Member
Have you seen the results of your influence on the people in your life?

For example, in my life, (and I don't mind taking credit for this), my FIL and BIL have both recently acquired Washington State Concealed Pistol Licenses, and my FIL now has a carry gun that he's training with. I'm buying him a holster for Christmas.

This weekend, I'll be taking my daughter to get her CPL; she already has my Ruger GP100, and we're getting her an XD MOD2, though she's not sure whether to get it in 9mm or .45acp; she has tried and likes both. That makes me laugh.

My other BIL regularly checks in with me now when considering new gun purchases and carry options.

I even have people at church asking my advice and asking to go to the range with me.

I'm glad to see the people around me making the decision to take responsibility for their personal safety, and finding that guns can be fun as well as useful.

BTW, I also tell everyone I talk to about any aspect of firearms to join this forum and learn from our members.

So, anybody else out there have some conversion stories?
Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The public education system was, and definitely is now a very firearms-hostile environment. I was instrumental in introducing several of my fellow teachers to self-defense shooting, even though some of them insisted that I keep very quiet about what we were doing. It just was not PC to believe in shooting back- - - - -hide, cower, plead and beg was the accepted way to deal with a deadly threat! There's a definite change of personality demonstrated when a formerly pacifist 90-pound English teacher suddenly realizes she can actually handle a short-barreled 12 gauge pump! Dr. Frankenstein isn't the only person who can create a monster!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,676 Senior Member
    Wife wasn't a "gun person" or hunter when we married ~15 years ago, She's bought three and inherited a few more and gotten her CCL since then. She used to accuse me of being paranoid for always carrying, when I could, AND grabbing a pistol before answering an unexpected knock on the door.

Now she carries regularly :up:

My regular Doctor has asked my advice about a HD shotgun, and a couple of other acquaintances have asked my for advice about firearms, which I gladly share.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    My wife was scared of firearms when I met her, not anti-gun necessarily but never liked them or had any desire to shoot or touch one. She cried the first time she shot a handgun. She now CCs more than I do. I have some friends that I have helped go from not having any guns to sizable collections. My family all has changed their outlook on the subject. My step father has his CCL, and carries as often as he can. My Wife's sister has come around and is interested in going to the range and getting her CCL now, big change for a 2008 Obama voter.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    regarding guns: My friends were all pretty much gun folks... family is lagging behind. We'll get there, though.

Politics: I don't try to convert folks politically, I just illustrate why they're wrong:jester:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Does this include students I have certified through the NRA Handgun Instruction program?

Several.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    Not in this venue, just shooting and hunting
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,372 Senior Member
    Truth is....not really.

I could go deeper than that answer, but the answer would probably be the same.

Some people have the mindset and some don't.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    My influence seldom travels farther than air escaping the bathroom door.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.