Home Main Category Personal Defense

Beretta 92a1 question.......

2»

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Well Chuck like I said You need to go find someone who will let you shoot theirs. Yes the barrel locks up at the rear and the barrel is exposed to the elements due to the open slide. I guess I have been fortunate not to have rocks and dirt fill in the areas around the barrel and cause it to jam. On the subject of jamming, my Beretta's have yet to do this. As to the rear lock up well I have a blast shooting pop cans down the range and keeping the shots in the black circle of a target is not a problem. On the side notes of boat anchors If I were to used my Beretta Brigadier and my Colt 1991A as boat anchors. I would bet on the Beretta to do a better job and be the one that fires a full mag without a catch.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "The one I looked at yesterday was a standard 92A1 and I made the comment that I was going to keep it in my glovebox of my vehichle and the guy said that for another $250 he could have it sent away and have a corrosion package put on it. Would that be worth it as well??"

I like a low parts count in a handgun whenever possible, I tend to like either a 1911 or a Glock of some sort, such as a Glock 19 due to size / weight.

The only thing I would warn you against is keeping a firearm in a glove box, poor choice of storage and easy to steal.
    A welded in or bolted in locked gun storage safe / box is a better second choice security wise.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • viper_goodviper_good New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Granted: This is a bit of a bump, but there are some points I would like to throw in there.

1) I have a Beretta 92A1, it is my favorite gun that I have ever fired, EVER. With that being said, it is probably not for everyone....
    2) The grips are approximately HUGE as has previously been stated. I have equally huge hands, so it fits me nearly perfectly (one of the reasons I LOVE it), but if you have medium or small hands, you should test fit it first if you have not.
    3) Reliability is great, but there is one type of very cheap/dirty ammo that gave me problems, but we are just going to blame that on the ammo.
    4) Earlier, it was mentioned that the design of the 92 is not conducive to accuracy. This is not going to be a problem for 99.9999% of shooters. This is really only a problem with serious competition shooting... My 92A1 can outshoot my roommate's Springfield Armory 1911. If a 1911 can shoot the wings off a fly, then a 92 can shoot the wings off of a bumble bee. Both of these weapons should be accurate enough that no one will be able to tell the difference unless they are hardcore competitors. With most firearms, accuracy is going to depend more on the shooter and his comfort/fit with a given firearm instead of the mechanical accuracy of a given firearm.
    5) The Beretta MAY be the sexiest handgun ever.
    6) While I LOVE the 92A1 and it is MY FAVORITE gun, I don't think that a 92A1 would make a good glovebox gun. You can find something much cheaper that will do the job just as well, if not better. A Glock, Springfield XDM, S&W M&P, or any other cheap and reliable polymer gun would probably do what you want just as well (or even better) than the Beretta for a lot cheaper.

Here is a picture taken with a crappy cell phone camera of my 92A1 when I first got it but after I put my grips on it (I personally think it is rather attractive, but that is just me):
    (it is a little large, so I will just give a link to it)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/viper_good/1007111602.jpg
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,814 Senior Member
    viper_good wrote: »
    Earlier, it was mentioned that the design of the 92 is not conducive to accuracy. This is not going to be a problem for 99.9999% of shooters. This is really only a problem with serious competition shooting... My 92A1 can outshoot my roommate's Springfield Armory 1911.

No offense, but maybe your room mate is a worse shot than you? Or, failing that, both of you shoot the 92 better because of lower recoil?

I have both a Glock 19 and a 9mm 1911, and honestly the 1911 shoots noticeably better than the Glock.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    I bought an M9 last year when I decided I wanted something different. I had just had an XD-9 stolen, and I didn't really like it anyway (long trigger reset). I wanted to get away from striker fired autos so I walked into the shop thinking Sig, but didn't want to spend 4 figures. It is my favorite auto to shoot, its large grip feels much more stable than most of the other autos I've shot. Definitely borrow one first, but my vote is YES.
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.