Home Main Category Hunting

My apologies to you all, Santa might be a little late this year......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,320 Senior Member
.................cos I done shot Rudolph.

DSCF7060_zpsggkgag9m.jpg

Bloodhound rang me at lunchtime today to say he was heading up to his forestry block to take a young guy hunting. ( Young to BH is less than 40yrs old)

We had been up there on sunday to shoot a couple of spikers to get some smoked salamis and bier sticks made for the christmas break. Didnt have any luck though as all we saw were pregnant does.

I grabbed the suppressed 222, met up with them and we headed out. The plan was to 'drive' through the thickest bush and move the deer out of where they lay up during the day and then hunt them in the thinner stuff. BH and I walked down the side of a gully/ravine while the young guy set himself up over the ridge to pick off anything that we sprung.

I took the lower part of the slope while BH took a line halfway up the side and we commenced to head down the gully. The bush was very thick and impossible to walk through without making a lot of noise. Due to all the heavy rain over the past few months there were a lot of slips...........as I approached one steep bit I could smell deer so when I got to the 'lip' I held on to a stout branch and leaned out to look over the edge........... the branch promptly broke and I slid down the face about 30+ feet into the creek bed, making a hell of a racket and spooking a bunch of deer. I couldnt climb back up so followed the creek until I found a place to climb back up the side.

Shortly after that I entered a basin that had a canopy of bush over the top and decided to wait a few minutes to take a breather.

Nek minit, 3 pregnant does came out of the bush line above me and trotted across the basin. They got a pass. Next up was a big 6 point buck ( Fallow deer btw) and he stopped on the edge, had a quick look around then trotted across the basin. He got a pass as well. He was followed by 2 more bucks, both 4 pointers in velvet and they also got a pass..............2 more pregnant does followed and they too got a pass. ( By now I was thinking I was being too picky and should have taken a buck)

Another buck followed the same route, stopped to look into the basin and I decided to take him.........The 222 'barked' and the 50gr Sierra dropped him on the spot. POA was about 12" above the base of his neck. 2 spikers and a couple more does then ran past where he fell and followed the others back into the thick stuff. I climbed up to him ( at the shot he was about 50+ metres away and 45deg up hill) and cos the ground was so steep, I had to rope him to a tree to hold him in place while I field dressed him. When I untied the rope he promptly dragged me about 20m down the hill until I could arrest his progress.

Managed to drag him a couple of hundred yards to where we had built a meat safe next to the creek a few years back and put him in it to keep the flies off him.

Field dressed and with his lower legs cut off he weighed just over 47 Kilos ( 103 lb) and boy, is he fat! Looking forward to a fridge full of cured meats this summer.

BH also scored a young yearling...........the young guy ( I think he's 32) missed a spiker so we decided to give him the yearling. Will bone the meat out tomorrow night and drop it off to the butcher on saturday.

Will check the neck tomorrow night when we skin it to see what damage had been done by the 50gr Sierra.

I guess Santa will need to get a replacement.............
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    .222s are the finest of the .22CFs. Deadly accurate. Head shots at reasonable ranges are almost automatic. Put the cross hair on the neck or head and the deer is in the freezer.

I want to build one on a Remington 700 Short action. That combo is scary accurate.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My friend in TX shoots those smaller deer in the neck with a .223 gives them fatal whiplash............makes some good jerky too

Good shootin.

BTW: Is it summer there now. Deer season is in the Fall/Winter here..........I guess deer don't have wall calendars :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Don't know how I missed this, but very nice job! I won't hold it against you if my present are delayed. Promise...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Nice deer O-man. Wish I could let a dozen deer pass and get a big one too.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016