The best laid plans....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 14,825 Senior Member
...seldom survive first contact with the enemy...

Went out this evening (40 degrees, Wind from the NW about 3 mph) with the wife and got her set up in a choice spot about 3:30...got her comfortable about 120 yards from where they cross from the pasture into the wheat... Perfect set-up...

Looking North:

002.jpg

right at 5:00, we picked up some movement behind the cedars....and....
we got cowed...

One of my cousins Angus cows drifted into the impact area...and where you find one, you're likely to find more. No joy tonight.

On another subject, my AR is resting on an early birthday present....a Bog-Pod (TAC-3S)...neat little tripod that will squat down at 6" and extend up to 40"....this is good kit -if you're looking for a stable platform in the field.
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Sorry it worked out that way, but better days will come for sure. And I sympathize, having been cowed way more than once, especially over the dogtowns.

But, the worst was getting horsed. I was shooting pdogs, and had about a dozen horses run up to me and my truck. Darn things were bouncing around like a housefull of puppies. I'd left the window down in my truck, and one had its head poked into the cab doing its best to lick the headrest off the drivers seat. (That was a nasty, slimey, smelly mess, and believe me, I know about such things). Eventually, one headbutted my bench and knocked it over, dumping about 300 rounds into the fine-grained sand. Luckily, I'd taken my rifle off the bench just moments before, else it would have hit the ground, too.

Cows are bad enough, but in my opinion, horses are even worse.

Better luck next time.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I like how you are set up in that field, hope it works out next time.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,581 Senior Member
    Just getting out is fun! too bad the cow were visiting. Nice setup yuo got there!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,661 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »

Cows are bad enough, but in my opinion, horses are even worse.

YES! The cows usually figure out I have no food soon enough and wander away, but horses like to stick around and screw with your stuff.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    Plan 'B' should have involved a 2 person cow costume.........just saying.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Plan 'B' should have involved a 2 person cow costume.........just saying.

Couple of things....who gets the gun? also...there's a bull in that pasture...no desire to become the object of his affections...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Couple of things....who gets the gun? She does.

also...there's a bull in that pasture...no desire to become the object of his affections...Just carry an electric cattle prod..if the bull gets amorous just give the wife a prod. You might be surprised how fast she will move.

Just kidding Mrs Jayhawker.......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....