Confession and question for my fellow hunters

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,638 Senior Member
I have a confession to make and I'm wondering if anyone else does the same thing. I've been known to head out to my hunting stand for hours on end with absolutely no intentions on shooting anything with maybe exception of a 150+ class buck that might happen by! I'm not trying to shuck my chores or get out away from the house, I just love being out in nature watching the wildlife and waiting to see what might come by!

Anyone else admit to doing this.
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,659 Senior Member
    I've been known to go antelope hunting with friends without carrying a rifle. There's nothing as enjoyable as being out on the open plains with good friends and help them get their goat.

Does that count?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    100 acres is a bit small for an Aussie-style "walkabout", but I've done it often, spending all day just rambling with no intention of shooting anything that isn't attacking me. Walk awhile, sit awhile, maybe even take a short nap- - - - - I've usually got the .45 Blackhawk on my hip, just in case, though!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,140 Senior Member
    Yep, it's quite relaxing.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Not just hunting ... I've worked the fence line "just to be sure" on a pretty day. Takin' time to enjoy the little things in nature is getting more rare these days and if that is how you (and me) want to spend some quiet time ain't nothin' wrong with slowin' down your world and enjoying it!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,619 Senior Member
    I haven't had the opportunity for a long time, but from the time I was maybe 12 any time it started to snow hard I would take a walk in the woods. I would take my .22 or H&R shotgun if any season was open.

Big snowflakes do make a noise when they hit the ground.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,959 Senior Member
    I'd rather sit outside than in.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,638 Senior Member
    Guess I'll head out for the last 90 min of day light and enjoy some nature!:applause:

Update: Had four does come in about the last 15 of daylight. Never raise my rifle, just watched them through the binoculars. Made a low whoop about 5 min after dark and they trotted off. It let me get out of my popup without being seen. And no, Bubba didn't come by to hassle or threaten me today!

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's pretty much what I did for a long time well supposedly small game hunting in the winter. Political bureaucracy with getting a license and not wanting to expose my little boy to severe cold had put an end to it. Also driving during winter has increased in risk do to the incompetent populace here.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Yes. I have even been know to go fishing and never wet a line.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,596 Senior Member
    When we get a good snow, like a 6" forecast, I am in the woods if I can be. I work outside though so coming home after a full day in the cold and going for a stroll isnt always what happens. But on a Sat or Sun or vacation day, I am out. Mostly once or twice a summer I will find a place in the woods for a hour of ... relaxation.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,750 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I'm not trying to shuck my chores or get out away from the house, I just love being out in nature watching the wildlife and waiting to see what might come by!

Anyone else admit to doing this.

I confess to the same. Give me a rifle and tell me to go for a walk and I am happy........Dont need to shoot anything for it to be a great day. The first thing I put in my pack is my camera, followed by my ammo.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,743 Senior Member
    The lease that I used to belong to was a couple thousand acres and nobody was ever up there during the week and I'm certain that I've walked that place far more than anyone including the owner. I usually harvested six does a season for meat but I never shot a buck unless I planned to mount it. I could sit in a stand for hours watching animals frolic and I've even got a little video of a couple of young bucks figuring out how to spar.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I have even been know to go fishing and never wet a line.

Yep- - - -get a bunch of guys together for a fishing trip, and some dummy always wants to go fishing
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,638 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Yep- - - -get a bunch of guys together for a fishing trip, and some dummy always wants to go fishing
    :roll:
    Jerry

Isn't that the truth!

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    For I Would Rather Be
    A Child of the Forest Wild
    Seeking Light, Wave, Rock and Bird
    Before the Money Loving Herd
    Than To Be a King Among Men
    And Live in the City's Mad Embrace!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,743 Senior Member
    Yes. I have even been know to go fishing and never wet a line.

Sounds close to surf fishing. I'll put two or three rods out and kick back in a chair and watch nature do it's thing while the sun sets. Sometimes fish hit, and sometimes they don't but when they do, fresh fish is the bonus.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Sounds close to surf fishing. I'll put two or three rods out and kick back in a chair and watch nature do it's thing while the sun sets. Sometimes fish hit, and sometimes they don't but when they do, fresh fish is the bonus.

Fishing for catfish is about the same for me. I love to eat them, but I am not going to work at it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,611 Senior Member
    I never had to kill or catch anything to have a good day. For the last 7 years I lived in Colo. , every year we always went elk camping.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,170 Senior Member
    It's 60 miles / 1.5 hours to where I hunt. I'm all for The Nature Experience, but if I'm out there in season, the intent is for something to die.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,309 Senior Member
    Pretty much how I hunt particularly here in Illinois. Only have access to a small parcel of land and deer are transient through it. So I sit, enjoy the sight,sounds and smells of being in the woods and if I get a shot, great but if I don't kill anything I an far from disappointed.

Sako