Hell of a Hunt!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,741 Senior Member
We finally had a cold snap (for my area anyway) and it dipped into the 30s! So, it was time to go hunting! So, went out yesterday evening to a place I'd hunted last Friday evening. It was much warmer then and I'd seen 12 does and a small 8 point. Just didn't feel like shooting anything that evening. But, now that it was cool............game on!

When I arrived at 3:45, there were already 5 deer in the field. 3 does, a spike, and a 4 pointer. Of course, when I got out of the truck and walked into the field, they jetted into the brush. Hopefully they would be back and bring some friends. I was sitting on a cement slab that was the pivot point of an irrigation system. The grass was grown up around it and provided good cover. On the south side of the slab was a fence corner where I set up a little blind (A). The previous hunt had resulted in most of the deer being on the south section of the field, so that was my primary field of fire. Of course, nothing happened until about 5:30 when a doe and her two yearlings came out with a bigger spike..........on the EAST side of the field. So, I crawled over to the other side of the slab, about 5 yards, and hid behind a big pivot tire (B) to get a better look at them.

With me this evening, I had a trio of guns. Since CPJ was kind enough to send me some 80gr A-Max for the .223 Remington some time back...............and has been nagging me like a HAG to shoot something with them ever since...........I figured it was time to give them a go. I had them loaded in my 13" MGM barrel for my Contender with a 4.5-14x Leupold scope on top. Next up, if given the chance, would be the CVA Scout Pistol in .243 Winchester running 85gr Sierra HPBT-GameKing bullets and a Vortex 2-7x Scout Scope. Strictly as back-up and because I don't go anywhere without a defensive gun, I had my 4" Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt with 250gr XTP handloads.

Well, the doe, yearlings, and spike were too far for the .223 Remington. They were feeding around 250 yards and I'd set a personal limit of 150 yards for the 80gr A-Max out of this gun. Just because I didn't know it's terminal performance as of yet. They weren't cooperating and never came any closer than 200 yards and I didn't want to use the CVA first, so I waited.

Finally, looking to my right and back to the south, I saw some deer entering the field and one looked like she would come within range!! Crawling on my hands and knees back to (A) I set the Contender back on the Spec-Rest and set up the camera to record. She slowly fed towards me at an angle a broke the magic range line. I aimed in and, at 140 yards, sent an 80gr A-Max on it's way towards the quartering away doe. On impact, she jumped about 8 feet in the air and took off! I could see through the scope that her off side leg wasn't working. She made it approximately 75-80 yards and fell over. SCORE!!!!

Here is the video.

http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/lovinmycaitlynn/Hunting/DSCN4189%203_zpsytub3zib.mp4

And here is the set-up with the arrow pointing at her POI location.

DSCN4188%20-%20Copy_zpssd7knf6t.jpg

To say I was impressed with the little .223 is an understatement. It did pretty well, I think.

So, I'm sitting there enjoying the moment and look to my left towards the east side of the field. Hmmm, there are more deer out there now. Hey, there is a buck coming my way!! I grab the Scout Pistol and crawl back over to (B). Set up the Spec-Rest and lean against the pivot tire. He just keeps coming closer and closer. Then, starts moving to my left. I pan the rest and realize, if he keeps going, I'm going to run out of left motion when I hit the tire. But, he ain't stopping! So, I pan with him and at the last moment, send an 85gr Sierra HPBT-GameKing into his quartering towards chest. On impact, he sits back on his butt and falls over on his right side........done. A few kicks and it's over. The shot was 56 yards with the arrow pointing at the buck.

IMG_0766%20-%20Copy_zpsqza78nqc.jpg

Allrightythen! Two down!

I look to my right and see more deer entering the south side of the field. in the binos, I see a pretty good buck walking my way! Crawling back to (A), I set up the CVA again and start digging for a round in my ruck. Keeping an eye on the buck........he's getting CLOSER! Get a round.....load the CVA.......sucker ain't stopping! At "danger close", I say screw it and draw the Ruger from behind the blind. As I bring it over the blind, he sees me and stops dead. Cock the hammer and "BOOM"!!! He leaps in the air and runs.......right AT me! Banzai!!!! About 10 yards away, he turns to my right, makes it about 5 more yards and his head goes down. Ramming his antlers in the dirt, he flips end over end and lands in a heap.

IMG_0763%20-%20Copy_zpsnqd9csrw.jpg

Well, there ya go.
3 Deer
3 Guns
15 Minutes

That's a first for me. And .............the work began.

.223 Remington w/ 80gr A-Max

223%20Contender%20Pistol%204%20-%20Copy_zps6p0t5jjf.jpg

.243 Winchester w/ 85gr Sierra HPBT-GameKing

243%20Scout%20Pistol%203%20-%20Copy_zps3fifts56.jpg

.45 Colt w/ 250gr XTP

45%20Colt%20Redhawk%204%20-%20Copy_zpsloh65hhm.jpg

The bucks ain't huge, but they are all good size bodies. For straight up handgun hunting.............I'm a happy camper.

IMG_0778_zpscfb22hpx.jpg

IMG_0775_zpsgtkzvidv.jpg

Science post later this evening. I got's stuff to do.

Here is an overhead view of the field and my blind location.

IMG_0769_zpssi6680pu.png

Doe - 1
Eight Point - 2
Six Point - 3

IMG_0770_zpshqo3ppp3.png
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,950 Senior Member
    Sweet
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    Very nice, love the details and stories!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Dang Zee!!!! That was one hizell of a hunt!!! And you did it with no eyes or nose........you never cease to amaze me. I love your write-ups
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,384 Senior Member
    That's how ya do it! Way to capitalize on that cold snap!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Dang, dropping them left and right....very nice!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    I'm so happy for you
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    Good shooting Zee. Are you in the Federal witness protection program? Are you really John Stossel?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,609 Senior Member
    You're really starting to annoy me, Zee. All these posts about all these great hunts is driving me nuts.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with jealousy. Absolutely nothing.

Well, maybe a little. :roll:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,741 Senior Member
    Thanks guys.

It all happened so quick. As soon as the last shot was fired I had an "Oh Crap" moment. Realizing what I had done and how long my night was going to be.

3 deer to haul out.
    3 deer to load.
    3 deer to unload.
    3 deer to butcher.

I will I'll tell you now, only 2 got scienced.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    You're really starting to annoy me, Zee. All these posts about all these great hunts is driving me nuts.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with jealousy. Absolutely nothing.

Well, maybe a little. :roll:

Exactly what I was thinking......
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Dude that is some great work. Plus a ton of real work when the shooting stopped.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Awesome hunt!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,184 Senior Member
    Talk about one stop shopping!....Nice!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,950 Senior Member
    Hondo341 wrote: »
    And you did it with no eyes or nose........you never cease to amaze me.
    He's Yoda, and aims using "The Force"

For normal sized people, the crawl from one side to the other, was only a short step.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Science!

Gun: TC Contender 13" MGM Barrel
    Cartridge: .223 Remington
    Bullet: 80gr A-Max
    Muzzle Velocity: 2,475 fps
    Distance: 140 yards
    Angle: Quartering Away
    Impact Velocity: 2,210 fps (est)
    Distance Traveled: 75-80 yards (approx)

Entrance
    223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%201_zpsd1m88yiz.jpg

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%203_zpshfyabfj7.jpg

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%205_zpsveuaablr.jpg

The bullet broke 1 rib on entrance.

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%206_zps1gw7g1gq.jpg

Thoracic Cavity

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%207_zpsiuwofuqr.jpg

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%208_zpsrgibbvch.jpg

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%209_zps6zq9nqxp.jpg

Exit Lungs and Chest. Broke 1 rib on exit.

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%2010_zpsjdgev5zk.jpg

The bullet struck the right lobe, penetrated the esophagus and aortic arch, and exited the left lobe.

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%2012_zpsdr1ugonv.jpg

Exit Chest

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%2016_zpsagety05p.jpg

Exit Off Side Shoulder

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%2017_zps2hxw67qr.jpg

Bullet struck edge of scapula.

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%2018_zpsdpamnvbm.jpg

Off Side

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%2014_zpsez6lzsmg.jpg

Exit Off Side

223%20Contender%20Pistol%2080gr%20AMAX%2019_zpsbrgtyyhz.jpg

I am very impressed with the 80gr A-Max. It proved more durable than I expected it to be. Especially considering the three bones that were struck and it still exited a quartering away animal apparently intact. I understand that it was a lower muzzle velocity and resulting impact velocity. But, it still proved effective out of a pistol length barrel and it's terminal performance was decidedly effective.

Yet another A-Max I approve of for hunting. Imagine that!
    cpj wrote: »
    Just watched the video, that sucker JUMPED!

Yeah. That was rather surprising.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Nice shooting. And BTW, what kind of scopes do you have on those pistols? Thanks.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
    sherwood wrote: »
    Nice shooting. And BTW, what kind of scopes do you have on those pistols? Thanks.

.223 Remington Contender = 4.5-14x50 LRT Leupold
    .243 Winchester Scout Pistol = 2-7x Vortex Scout Scope
    Science!

Gun: 14" CVA Scout Pistol
    Cartridge: .243 Winchester
    Bullet: 85gr Sierra HPBT-GameKing
    Muzzle Velocity: 2,875 fps
    Distance: 56 yards
    Angle: Quartering Towards
    Impact Velocity: 2,726 fps (est)
    Distance Traveled: 0 yards

Entrance
    243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%201_zpsxvfmha3a.jpg

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%202_zpszkb2lgjs.jpg

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%204_zpspnxaue2n.jpg

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%203_zpslm1czrxq.jpg

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%205_zpsi8olgmkm.jpg

Broke 1 rib on entrance.

Thoracic Cavity

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%206_zpstluiopfo.jpg

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%207_zpsy4ej750s.jpg

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%208_zps0sy3jqhd.jpg

The bullet passed through the left front lobe, windpipe/esophagus, aortic arch, and exited the middle of the right lobe.

The bullet then penetrated the diaphragm.

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%209_zpsojuutfj9.jpg

I did not intend to open the abdominal cavity to look for the bullet. But, I looked at the off side..........

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%2010_zpsbmgapzxq.jpg

Saw the location of the bruising and thought it couldn't be that far back. So, I stuck my finger through the hole in the diaphragm and into the liver. Pushing deeper, I felt the jacket in the liver. Therefore, I gingerly removed the liver without disturbing the rest of the entrails.

243%20Scout%20with%2085gr%20Sierra%20HPBT%2011_zpstfhzjrpr.jpg

At the back of the liver I found the bullet's jacket sans core. At the impact velocity and depth of penetration, I am still pleased with the performance of the bullet. Sufficient damage was caused and ample penetration to bisect the vitals.

Yeah the jacket and core separated. So what. This has occurred with every animal I've shot with this bullet and there have been a sufficient number of pigs and deer. Dead.........pigs and deer. I'm ok with that. You want a bullet that will stay together.............pick a different one. Simple as that.
    cpj wrote: »
    Thanks for doing that amigo. Much appreciated. Of course I don't have a .223 with a fast enough twist to shoot them, and I'm certain those will be replaced by the super duper new plastic melt proof tip bullets, so...

But yeah. I'm kind of surprised the bullet exited. Did you notice any bits of lead or jacket in the meat?

Nope. The path was clean.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,761 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

It all happened so quick. As soon as the last shot was fired I had an "Oh Crap" moment. Realizing what I had done and how long my night was going to be.

3 deer to haul out.
    3 deer to load.
    3 deer to unload.
    3 deer to butcher.

I will I'll tell you now, only 2 got scienced.

I've been there before. There is that moment before you start hauling them out that you think "What have I done?"

Great writeup, and nice hunt. I missed being out there in the real cold stuff we have had, but I'm almost over the cold I caught from being out in the rain for my last hunt.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,761 Senior Member
    Interesting results on the CVA. I've never done a science body shot with mine, so I've never had concern for the bullet holding together. But like you said- it went almost all the way through the animal diagonally and kilt it just fine.

Does work just fine for head shots, though :D
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,078 Senior Member
    No Redhawk science? :tissue:

Sounds like a pretty good day. . .right up to the point you realize there's three carcasses to deal with. Cardi-ooooooooooo!:tooth:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Interesting results on the CVA. I've never done a science body shot with mine, so I've never had concern for the bullet holding together. But like you said- it went almost all the way through the animal diagonally and kilt it just fine.

Does work just fine for head shots, though :D

Trying to remember, I think I've only had two of them exit. Once on an antelope and once on a smallish pig, I think. Would have to look up the pig folder to be sure.

The rest never exited and and separated to the best of my recollection. None "exploded", though. Just expanded and separated.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    No Redhawk science? :tissue:

I hit him square in the chest. That bullet likely ended in the guts. By the time I got to him, the third deer..........I was done screwing around.

I didnt even open the thoracic cavity. Skinned, quartered, removed backstraps.......left the tenders as I was pretty sure they were tainted.

The chest and abdomen remained intact.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    Wonderful field report as usual. I wonder if sometime you might document how you process the carcass without gutting. I would be very interested to learn this technique.

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    Wonderful field report as usual. I wonder if sometime you might document how you process the carcass without gutting. I would be very interested to learn this technique.

Sako

Exact same way you would quarter a gutted animal. Just never open the body cavity. To get the tenderloins, you cut a slit in the top of the abdominal cavity just below the removed backstraps location. Just big enough to stick your hand in. Then, reach in and grab the tenderloin. Gently cut along the spine and remove the tenders.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,284 Senior Member
    Never considered that. Going to have to give it a try.

Sako
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    Pretty good day! Nice work, thanks for sharing.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I think that 85gr GK did just fine. It came apart, but it did so deep inside from a close shot.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.