Home Main Category Personal Defense

ISIS Church Attack List?

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
Guys, I just got a call from my Minister asking if I had heard about a threat from ISIS to have lone wolf attacks on US churches on Christmas services. I told him I have heard nothing but would see what I can for me out. Any intel from you guys out there or any sources you can check? The interweb is halfway saying it is plausible but not much more info.
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    The threat is real.
    The source is real.
    The list cannot be verified and will not be released.

If occurred, it would most likely be high profile church or one having made public statement against Islam.

Then again...........take your pick.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,506 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    If occurred, it would most likely be high profile church or one having made public statement against Islam.

Then again...........take your pick.

Worth remembering is the church they hit in rural France last summer. Aside from seeking the soft target, their whole game is the unexpected. Whenever guerilla/insurgents do the expected, they get slaughtered.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    https://conservativedailypost.com/exclusive-isis-releases-kill-list-these-u-s-churches-now-targeted-for-attack/

The more horrific they can get, the happier they are. Any will do, but the more iconic the Church the better for their propaganda.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Our state law is that we cannot carry concealed in a church "without good ad sufficient reason." The Virginia Attorney General stated a few years back that personal defense meets that requirement.

It does not carry the weight of statutory law, but it does offer some legal latitude.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,565 Senior Member
    Beware: if your church operates an actual school on its campus, it may be regarded as a "school" and subject to such restrictions. FL does it, and getting busted with a firearm while you have a CCW will lead to a second-degree misdemeanor and possible loss of the CCW.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    My church is rather coordinated and forward thinking on security with the state of the world today. With all the retired and active LEO in attendance, the leadership has approached........requested direction.......and initiated a plan for weekly services.

It's one of those things done behind the scene that the sheep don't know and therefore have to worry about but is in place should the need arise.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,197 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Our state law is that we cannot carry concealed in a church "without good ad sufficient reason." The Virginia Attorney General stated a few years back that personal defense meets that requirement.

It does not carry the weight of statutory law, but it does offer some legal latitude.

It sure seems to me that carrying in a church - of all places - would be completely up to the church and their membership. What does the state have to say about it? I don't get it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    My church is rather coordinated and forward thinking on security with the state of the world today. With all the retired and active LEO in attendance, the leadership has approached........requested direction.......and initiated a plan for weekly services.

It's one of those things done behind the scene that the sheep don't know and therefore have to worry about but is in place should the need arise.

A few years back our leaders came to the conclusion that church while a holy place is not free from danger. As with yours there are behind the scenes plans and our Senior Minister is fully aware of all that goes on in front of him and has ways of letting others know if there might be a problem brewing. Many in my church believe but we are far from pacifists ...
    ISIS has not yet shown the ability to carry out planned and coordinated attacks in the US. What they have shown the ability to do is encourage deranged lone wolves to carry out random attacks. That is exactly what this is. This reads as a plea for random individuals sympathetic to their cause to carry out attacks.

On the plus side it means it is really just a hope and a prayer that someone will listen and decide to act and carry out an attack. On the negative is that these types of acts are virtually impossible to defend against in advance.

Yep, for now and the near future the likely attacks on US soil such as what this call is for will be probably be by a low functioning wannabes who being unknown are wild cards and who knows how prepared and committed they are?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,098 Senior Member

We are just starting this process at our church.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    zorba wrote: »
    It sure seems to me that carrying in a church - of all places - would be completely up to the church and their membership. What does the state have to say about it? I don't get it.

Now that is one area I wish the separation of Church and State mouthpieces who whine about prayers at football games and in schools would speak out on behalf of churchgoers who wanna pack some heat when receiving the gospel, by telling the Gooberment to keep their noses outta it.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,565 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Missed this one but... see my post. If you're in FL and the church has a school attached to it, on campus, it's considered a school and all legal restrictions applying to the school apply. Even if the school is closed and they're having a worship service.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Now that is one area I wish the separation of Church and State mouthpieces who whine about prayers at football games and in schools would speak out on behalf of churchgoers who wanna pack some heat when receiving the gospel, by telling the Gooberment to keep their noses outta it.
    Consider it done! :jester:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Missed this one but... see my post. If you're in FL and the church has a school attached to it, on campus, it's considered a school and all legal restrictions applying to the school apply. Even if the school is closed and they're having a worship service.

That's just stupid on a variety of levels - but we all know that already.

• KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 373 Member
    In Michigan, we can carry in church if we get permission from the church. I have never gotten permission, I just let them know that I will protect myself and those around me at all times. Reminding them that a bible does not always stop a bullet. BUt a good guy with a gun does.
    If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I love the sign on the outside of my mother's old Baptist Church. It says something like, "No open carry of firearms allowed in the church." That to me means keep it concealed, which is what I do anyway.

That stuff about if the church has a school then the rules for school applies to the church as well, is brainless because School is usually out on church days. Also, most churches with schools I've seen the school is on another block from the Church. In that case I would bet there's some legal way of separating the two for carry purposes.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.