Home Main Category Clubhouse

bream....... FL saltwater fish regs ???

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,664 Senior Member
The state and Feds have very tight season and limits on Amber Jacks and Red Snapper. However, all I read on the local fishing boards say there are WAY too many already. Like this post from yesterday.......
The AJs and snapper were thick and made it hard to get baits down to the grouper we were after. Caught more snapper and AJs than we could count. Had to catch more bait, and finally found a school of cigars near shore. Only managed to bring home one Grouper but it was a nice firetruck!

So, are they protecting the fish or (as local recreational fishermen think) protecting the commercial fishermens profits.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Not bream, but have lived in South Florida for a number of years now. This is nothing new. The commercial guys claim that the recreational fisherman are ruining their lively hood and only commercial fishing can control the number of fish taken, while the rec. guys take whatever they catch and nobody is watching.

The rec guys yell foul saying that the money behind the commercial fisherman is buying control of the fisheries and blocking the little guy and weekend angler off the water.

From what I see fishing, the numbers for almost all fish are down. We used to catch fish on every outing, throwing back shorts and keeping plenty to eat. These days catching a slot size snook is getting rare and while we catch numerous juvenal grouper, the keepers are farther and fewer between each trip this year.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I can remember the "no limit" days of the mid-1950's when we would bring in stringers of red snapper and grouper back to Panama City and Destin that a tall man couldn't hold off the ground. That was when Destin was one motel, a restaurant, and the Marler family ran the one and only marina on the beach. Our family fished there regularly from the mid-50's to the early 60's.

Then the Japanese long-line fleet discovered the Gulf of Mexico. The fishery never recovered. Basically they ran trot lines a mile or more long, suspended by big glass balls, and caught everything down there. The bycatch was horrendous, and most of the fish they "released" were dead or dying. The party boat fishermen started carrying surplus 03 Springfields on their boats and shooting the glass floats. They called it "ocean skeet"!
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    I quit fishing just because of the stupid regs!! Every time I would release an undersize or illegal fish, a dolphin would eat it. I'm talking 27" AJ's, that's a big fish!! Now it doesn't pay to leave the dock.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I quit fishing just because of the stupid regs!! Every time I would release an undersize or illegal fish, a dolphin would eat it. I'm talking 27" AJ's, that's a big fish!! Now it doesn't pay to leave the dock.

From what I'm reading, when the ''tax man'' shows up, you just pull up and move.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    The state and Feds have very tight season and limits on Amber Jacks and Red Snapper. However, all I read on the local fishing boards say there are WAY too many already. Like this post from yesterday.......

So, are they protecting the fish or (as local recreational fishermen think) protecting the commercial fishermens profits.

Yes, the regs favor commercial fishermen. They have a more organized lobby effort and put forth some bogus "science."

Offshore fishing brings a lot of money to FL but the federal regs have put a hurting on that in recent years. For example, this year's federal snapper season in the gulf was less than two weeks.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    PM inbound.
    I'm just here for snark.
    The other big compliant by the fishermen who fish the wrecks is commercial dive boats. They will pull up right next to the fishing boat, throw out the dive buoys and hop in the water. Now the fishing boat is (legally) to close to the buoys and can be fined if they don't move.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    As a county LEO once told me, "Unfortunately, being an ***hole is not illegal." That's a very, very common complaint.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A friend who used to dive off Florida told me about an encounter with a donkeyhole who thought it was funny to buzz their dive buoy- - - -using it as a pivot for high speed donuts. Their response was to launch air-filled glass Coke bottles from the bottom. The expanding air would send the bottle several feet out of the water, and the guy was last seen headed for shore at full throttle with a couple of Coke bottle sized holes in the bottom of his fiberglass boat!
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    From what I'm reading, when the ''tax man'' shows up, you just pull up and move.

Doesn't do any good to move, they're every where!! If you're fishing over structure, Flipper is close by!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Doesn't do any good to move, they're every where!! If you're fishing over structure, Flipper is close by!

Some think they are attracted to the sonar of the boats fish finder. Like ringing a dinner bell
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Some think they are attracted to the sonar of the boats fish finder. Like ringing a dinner bell

I've fished on a lot of different types of boats and have owned quite a few different sonars and I don't believe that theory. I've got a commercial dual frequency Sitex unit on my boat and it runs at 50/400khz. Diesel engines emit a low frequency vibration that travels much further and while flipper is drawn to any boat, they can hear a diesel dinner bell from much farther away.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me