My opening day canvasback mount is done

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,226 Senior Member
Oh, my!

6d32ca9e.jpg

He sent me this pic of the finished bird today. All I can say is "WOW!"
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 357 Member
    thats awesome all the years i have been hunting waterfowl never shot a canvas back. Never even been with some one who has. I do know a few guys have taken them around here but its prettg rare.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    That is very nice.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    That turned out very nice. Have you started the room addition for all the trophies yet:yousuck:


    Sako
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    Nice!:cool2:
    STEALTH COMPETENT

    I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    N454casull wrote: »
    thats awesome all the years i have been hunting waterfowl never shot a canvas back. Never even been with some one who has. I do know a few guys have taken them around here but its prettg rare.
    Oh, that's exactly why I got this one mounted even though he's not completely full colored (thay can actually get a bit brighter red than this and mine is slightly mottled under his neck). I was lucky enough to kill the first one I ever had a shot on. In eastern Nebraska, we never even saw them. In fact, my buddy reported seeing one near Lincoln for the first time and he's lived there for over a decade. That's as far east as I've ever heard one reported.

    Now here, it's a different story. They are more plentiful and I've seen many, BUT they are still diving ducks and like most divers, they like to stay in the middle of the lake near deeper water. It is very tough to decoy them in since few people are going to go blow hundreds of bucks on several dozen canvasback decoys when you're only allowed one per day. The only other option is to get in a canoe and try to paddle up on them slowly. That method is very effective on some divers like ruddy ducks, but not on canvasbacks as far as I have heard. I feel privileged just to have shot one and I have no words to describe how beautifully this mount came out. The guy I hired for it charges significantly more than my previous taxidermist, but you can see why in his work.
    sakodude wrote: »
    That turned out very nice. Have you started the room addition for all the trophies yet:yousuck:


    Sako

    I've still got some wall space, but I had a guy offer to teach me how to mount my own ducks a few nights ago at Bass Pro...uh, oh...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Beautiful work...fitting tribute to a wonderful bird...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Yeah WOW! Canvas Backs are arguably one of the prettiest ducks and pretty good to eat as well. Although it and the Red Head are classified as divers, they don't normally eat fish. They dive down to eat grasses on the bottom. They are also larger than most divers. It's too bad they are not fluorousing like some other species. They and Redheads are great ducks and Canvas Backs are fast flyers. One day after school my dad and a friend, Henry Bowman picked me up and we went to Indianola duck hunting on the marsh right off the bay. It was cold, gray, and windy and a flock of Canvas Backs came in off the bay running with the north wind flying about 50 MPH. I stood up before they did and ignored their admonishments to wait and let go on one of the big males at about 100 yards. My dad like to crapped his pants when that Canvas Back male cartwheeled and his scolding turned into amazed congratulations in about a half second. Henry was about three sheets in the wind and he kept telling me over and over what a great shot I made on that duck at that range.

    Actually it was one of the luckiest shots I ever made. I just pointed the gun at the middle of the flock and pulled the trigger. I really think they were flying so fast that the duck ran into the pellets and it broke its wing.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    WOW, that is nice!
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,486 Senior Member
    Very nice, Luis.

    Your next move is gonna be expensive as heck just moving all of your trophies. Somehow, I think you won't mind. :)
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Very nice, Luis.

    Your next move is gonna be expensive as heck just moving all of your trophies. Somehow, I think you won't mind. :)

    Uncle Sam takes care of my moves, so I'm good there. The danger comes if and when the fellow I mentioned above shows me how to taxidermy my own ducks.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    Very nice.:up:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You can send your practice ones to me.
    Oh, and thanks for saying "taxidermy" my own ducks. When you say "mount" my own ducks, it makes me think you are taking after Buffco.

    If I can get into this and actually show some kind of talent for it, I'll gladly send you a finished bird. The green wing teal here are a dime a dozen and absolutely beautiful. In Nebraska, we never saw the full-colored drakes like you do here. These are top-notch for a nice mount.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Dude, I would take one with a missing foot, broken wing and eyes that dont match. It would be a great conversation piece. :tooth:

    Let me shoot one at a close enough range and I'll see what I can do. :jester:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    cpj - PM coming :wink:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.