Home Main Category Personal Defense

Shoot with one hand

oldcopoldcop New MemberPosts: 16 New Member
Hi, This is my first post, so I don't know if it's been out there before, but I strongly recommend learning to shoot well with one hand. I was a cop for 32 years and more often than not, even though I was trained and re-trained to shoot with 2 hands, there were MANY times I found myself pointing my gun at a suspect with one hand. Sometimes you have a separate light, you're opening a door, turning on a light switch, or one of your hands is disabled or occupied with another task. Having the ability to shoot well with one hand can be a life saver. In real close quarters, your off hand can also be used to push your attacker off while you employ your weapon which you should keep close enough to your body so it can't be taken away from you.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Sounds like great advice.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,551 Senior Member
    Yep.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,666 Senior Member
    Welcome

As already said, most here will agree with you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Training in any way other than your standard is always good just in case. I hurt my shoulder and it hurt to shoot strong side and since my kid wanted to shoot and I got board I started shooting a little weak side. After a little practice I am not as quick but I can hold my own weak side. I use to practice swapping hands on target along with other non-standard things (mag changes if a hand is hurt, slide manipulation by other means, etc) but I slacked off on them years back. One hand shooting be it weak or strong hand is probably something everyone should practice just in case.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Welcome. Agreed and you know, shooting with one hand either hand is not that tough IMO. Now shooting a rifle weakside is totally awkward for me.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • oldcopoldcop New Member Posts: 16 New Member
    I'll give it a shot. I'm kinda new to this computer stuff. they were just putting it in the Police Dept when I was getting ready to get out. I only had to live with it the last few years I was on the job. Probably have to get one of my kids to "hold my hand"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    If you're having a problem doing one-handed drills.... put your hand in you pants pocket.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    If you're having a problem doing one-handed drills.... put your hand in you pants pocket.

Will someone else's pants pocket do?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    I have some days in which I can shoot better with one hand.

In 1966 the USMC was still teaching one handed shooting.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Strong and week hand supported and unsupported. One arm reloading and manipulation also. Have you practiced reloading, and working through malfunctions one handed? You should.
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    I totally agree, shooting one handed and with either hand accurately is a great skill to have. Also, welcome to the forum oldcop.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Great, CPJ hacked Shush's userid... :tooth:

That utter Bounder.

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That's quite Ok, we have a few folks here that still have not mastered crayoning :tooth:. We are always ready to lend a hand on all subjects.

Cool.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,632 Senior Member
    It's a good skill to have. If you're shooting one-handed because your close in then you should practice shooting close up. (I'm a retired cop, too.)

I used to shoot a 1911 with my strong hand up close because it was faster, a LOT faster than what was being taught at the time...i.e. draw, bring up the weapon into both hands, take a step back and then shoot at the pepper popper. I'd draw and shoot, could get five rounds on target until it fell. Much quicker than the "draw, step away, bring the pistol to the middle of your body, and then shoot."
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Another good reason to learn to shoot with one hand, is when you're a home health nurse, you can use the other one to insert a suppository.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    What do they look like?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Welcome, oldcop. I try to train one hand and weak hand often, but I have to admit I don't do a lot of unconventional stances, like firing from a ground or injured position. Not many places to do that.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Heck, someone here even practices shooting with his toes ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,551 Senior Member
    Good point. Ya just never know...............

Why do you think I go barefoot or wearing sandals? Gotta have options.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    shush wrote: »

What do they look like?

Think Marsupial.

Zee wrote: »
    .....Gotta have options.

Gotta have toes.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,875 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Because you're a cro-magnon man?
    I thought we decided he was a hobbit :confused:
    knitepoet wrote: »
    You have successfully transformed him from a carney to a hobbit in one post

WELL DONE :worthy:
    Zee, the hunting hobbit :rotflmao:
    He does need a little more hair on his feet though :yikes:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    (Welcome!)

Agree totally. I see it a lot - a two-handed pistol technique is often used as a crutch for a crappy one-handed one, and the lack of understanding of a proper one-hand grip usually leads to not-real-impressive performance with two. If you can run well with one, two is just gravy. Since stuff happening can leave you with just one very quickly, best if you can operate that way.

Some additional thoughts: an emphasis on extra magazine capacity - largely spurred by inability to shoot straight - coupled with two-handed shooting being taught as the "standard" thing, has resulted in the designing of a lot of guns that aren't exactly what you'd call ergonomic masterpieces. Sure, you can make them work for you, but if you polled people who have experience with a broad array of weapon types what handgun they'd want to have if they only had one round to solve the problem with, you will get a lot of votes for the 1911, the Luger, the Peacemaker, the K-frame Smith & comparable Colts, and probably even a smattering of picks for certain pre-WWII pocket autos that aren't very big, or very powerful, but fit the hand REALLY well.

What do they all have in common?

They were all designed before Weaver and Isosceles were common shooting range words, back when a handgun was a hand - singular - gun and one depended on accuracy more than the law of averages.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,768 Senior Member
    It's called a handgun not a handsgun for a reason...just sayin.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Welcome to the asylum oldcop.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    It's called a handgun not a handsgun- - - - - - -

Sort of like the redneck who invented the toothbrush, right?
    Jerry
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I thought we decided he was a hobbit :confused:

Perhaps a homunculus?? :tooth:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The burning question is- - - - -can ya switch hands as quickly and efficiently as some of the guys on the forum?
    :uhm:
    Jerry