Home Main Category Personal Defense

Ruger sp 101 and sp100

big elkbig elk MemberPosts: 111 Member
I live in Wyoming, I'm handy caped and can't get out much and there are very few actual gun shops so it's almost impossible to compare different guns. My question is what is the difference between the Ruger SP 101 and the SP 100?
I couldn't find much on goggle so I came to the experts. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    The GP is a medium frame 6 shot, about the size of S&W's L frame 686. The SP is a smaller 5 shot, a little bigger than the S&W J frame, like the old Chief's Special.

Both are great guns; I have a 6" GP and Wife's is 4", and they're both tack drivers. Used to have an SP in .357 and sold it to fund something else, but my .22 8 shot SP 4" is a lot of fun.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    The GP 100 is a little heavier and soaks up recoil much better.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Both are great revolvers. I don't own a SP-101, but I will if I ever run across a good deal on a 3" with a nice trigger.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Gp100 is 6 shot. Sp101 is 5. Gp100 is a good amount bigger.
    What's your purpose for this gun?
    HA
    mine are 7 &6 shot
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia

Didn't I just say that? Try to keep up.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    I have a sp101 357 that I open or owb carry once in a while, anymore I punch paper with all my pistols. Since I can hardly walk, it's used for home defense and in my pick up. I also have a Ruger SR45 for home defense. For iwb I carry a Colt Defender which I love. Since you can never have enough guns, I'm always on the look out for one I just have to have, rifle revolver or pistol.
    :beer:

NRA Endowment Member
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    big elk wrote: »
    I have a sp101 357 that I open or owb carry once in a while, anymore I punch paper with all my pistols. Since I can hardly walk, it's used for home defense and in my pick up. I also have a Ruger SR45 for home defense. For iwb I carry a Colt Defender which I love. Since you can never have enough guns, I'm always on the look out for one I just have to have, rifle revolver or pistol.
    West Laramie fly shop usually carries a a few handguns a Ruger was always in the mix, Deter's on second and Westbrook's pawn are all great places in Laramie to put fingerprints on some guns. Rocky Mountain gun trader in Cheyenne has just about anything, or can get it.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    What's your purpose for this gun?

I have the SP 101 in .357 Mag. and recoil with defensive loads is 'energetic'. So much so that I replaced the wood grips with 'Goodyears' that provide some protection for my birdy finger on the shootin' hand.
    Also have the 8 shot SP 101 .22 LR and it is just too much fun! Both have 4" barrels.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams