Home Main Category Clubhouse

Home brewers step inside please.

tubabucknuttubabucknut BannedPosts: 3,520 Senior Member
I have successfully brewed two batches, but it has been a while. I had purchased three more recipes that I never got around to, and they have sat for over a year. What is salvageable if any from those recipes. I would think the grains would be fine, and probably the malt, but what about the hops? I am finally to a place that I can try number three and am hoping to salvage some of what I have.

Thanks.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,203 Senior Member
    I have successfully brewed two batches, but it has been a while. I had purchased three more recipes that I never got around to, and they have sat for over a year. What is salvageable if any from those recipes. I would think the grains would be fine, and probably the malt, but what about the hops? I am finally to a place that I can try number three and am hoping to salvage some of what I have.

Thanks.

According to my cousins, hops need to be used when fresh or frozen in vacuum sealed packages when fresh or they are junk.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks Chiro. I figured I was going to be out the hops, just wanted to be sure.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That's something I'd like to try doing. Have no clue of a recipe, but have the name of my IPA picked out, as well as a label design. Can't tell you, don't want someone stealing my idea!
    Brewing your own is good times. I am no expert and my two batches turned out great.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    According to my cousins, hops need to be used when fresh or frozen in vacuum sealed packages when fresh or they are junk.

Yes. You are correct, sir!
    The hops will be rotten by now.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    If the hops were nitrogen purged, sealed and frozen they're ok. But honestly, hops are cheap, buy fresh. Grain should be fine. Now malt....are you talking malt EXTRACT? If so, toss it.

You can make much better beer going all grain, and its cheaper in the long run. Yes, it takes a little more time and requires a little more equipment. But, worth it in the end. If you need help setting up, let me know. I can help with recipes, too. If need be I'll walk you through step by step. Ya'll know a professional brewer, might as well use him