So I bought a house...

12346»

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,255 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Hypothetically ... a gas range is needed to run a personal sized still using say a pressure cooker type setup ... no electric range, especially a smooth top, can generate the heat evenly enough to work. Now I don't know that first hand ... I have been told that.
    Make sure that person knows well enough to NOT use an aluminum pressure cooker. That, and an open flame plus alcohol vapor= a bomb. I have had to be very careful to design my distillery where there are no open flames or sparks, plus a way to safely vent the still outside in the event of a pressurized situation. Then there are the sprinklers, but they aren't going to save anyone from being blown to hell if the vapors ignite.

I have been following some distilling forums for the last year or so to learn up on the subject for an honest to goodness legitimate micro distillery. A couple of them are professional forums. This one is dedicated to hobby distillers and is packed with really good information...
    http://homedistiller.org/forum/

While not legal in the USA (yet-- there is legislation pending that somehow may get passed some day), it is legal in some countries, notably New Zealand.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,246 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »

I don't have to clean it, but if I want it cleaned...
    Well, it would get cleaned here if I wanted it done or if I wanted it left alone.
    This message has been deleted
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,246 Senior Member
    I'm simmering some baloney bull tree rats right now----I bet the stove top gets cleaned before I can pick the meat
    off the bones for potpie.
    This message has been deleted
    ...a pressurized vessel of flammable liquid and or gas INSIDE your house....
    A still is actually open to the atmosphere and should not be pressurized. If they are pressurized, something is seriously wrong (like maybe some mash puked up through the condenser, clogging it) and you have a potentially dangerous situation. That is why my commercial stills will be built with 5 psi pressure relief valves on the heads with the relief tube going straight outside and situated in a way that it can't be obstructed.
    And I will have a couple of these located in strategic locations that will activate exhaust fans and an alarm if it detects an unsafe level of alcohol vapor...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/112282712873?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Explosion (these guys were asking for it-- first rule is to NEVER leave a still unattended which is what they did)...
    http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Fire-marshal-releases-findings-of-distillery-explosion-318444931.html
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,101 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    It isn't commercial. Those actually cost less. The problem with installing the commercial units in a residential home is that you wind up with potential fire issues. What you get is commercial performance and durability that is compatible with residential safety codes. Here is the one I got...
    IMG_7062_zpsa2196447.jpg
    And since I am showing you around the kitchen, you noticed the 3 compartment main sinks, then we got a dedicated prep sink here...
    IMG_7063_zpsc1e1e4b9.jpg
    Then the dual drawer dishwasher...
    IMG_7061_zps07d43faf.jpg
    And this photo only to piss Zorba off some more....
    IMG_7069_zpse2836776.jpg

Zorba is now convulsing on the floor next to alpha :devil:

Your kitchen is just spectacular buddy :love:

My biggest issue is that it's just the wife and I alone now and quite frankly most of the time nowadays what we make for dinner is reservations so I have to balance this with whatever I do. Even when we entertain we limit ourselves to no more than 3-4 couples so the days of cooking for a crowd or huge quantities for future consumption are pretty much over.

But, both my wife and I enjoy cooking a gourmet meal every once in a while so I'd still like a nice stove. Sorry I used the term commercial, my bad, don't know enough on the subject. Is there a more "home friendly" unit that would fit my needs without a major remodeling?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    The one I showed you is a professional grade, yet residential unit. It will work well in your house because it has no clearance restrictions near combustibles like a commercial one would need. I was just making the point that if you actually did buy a commercial unit, it would cost less than the one I showed you.
    I went over the issue of a range for my house for a long time. Night after night researching for a solid year and concluded that the Capital Culinarian series is probably the best residential range out there.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,330 Senior Member
    I'd like 6 burners, and a flat grill. And a regular grill. And a REAL waffle iron like Waffle House has
    Can't WAIT to win the lottery.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    The one I showed you is a professional grade, yet residential unit. It will work well in your house because it has no clearance restrictions near combustibles like a commercial one would need. I was just making the point that if you actually did buy a commercial unit, it would cost less than the one I showed you.
    I went over the issue of a range for my house for a long time. Night after night researching for a solid year and concluded that the Capital Culinarian series is probably the best residential range out there.
    Great! Cool brother and thanks!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I did not realize it until well after I had mine, but if you watch Food Network, the show "Chopped" uses those ranges. I think a couple of other shows do too.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,281 Senior Member
    A still is actually open to the atmosphere and should not be pressurized. If they are pressurized, something is seriously wrong (like maybe some mash puked up through the condenser, clogging it) and you have a potentially dangerous situation. That is why my commercial stills will be built with 5 psi pressure relief valves on the heads with the relief tube going straight outside and situated in a way that it can't be obstructed.

Yep, the canner has very little pressure the person that built it had access to Swagelok fittings he really over built it from the canner to the pots and cooler for the worm. It is way cheaper to buy liquor but DIY factor is fun.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    I'd like 6 burners, and a flat grill. And a regular grill.
    $20 http://www.webstaurantstore.com/20-x-9-1-2-cast-iron-portable-griddle-reversible/359IGD2095.html

Extra burners-- these work great. I have been telling you!
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/chef-master-90011-1-burner-butane-countertop-range-10-000-btu/472CM10000.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CLmisIjG6NECFYa2wAodPkAM_g
    And just keep the grill outside. Outdoor gas grills are cheap and cost considerably less than what an indoor one would. Plus they will do a better job in most situations.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,960 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Zorba is now convulsing on the floor next to alpha :devil:

Your kitchen is just spectacular buddy :love:

Nothing like that Taco Bell ambiance! :devil:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    $20 http://www.webstaurantstore.com/20-x-9-1-2-cast-iron-portable-griddle-reversible/359IGD2095.html

Extra burners-- these work great. I have been telling you!
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/chef-master-90011-1-burner-butane-countertop-range-10-000-btu/472CM10000.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CLmisIjG6NECFYa2wAodPkAM_g
    And just keep the grill outside. Outdoor gas grills are cheap and cost considerably less than what an indoor one would. Plus they will do a better job in most situations.

It's not the same.
    Zee
    Much better. We do have an electric one, and we use the hell out of it. Best thing ever for French toast. You can get 8 pieces on it at a time.
    Zee
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,315 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,255 Senior Member
    And a REAL waffle iron like Waffle House has Can't WAIT to win the lottery.

We bought a Farberware one at wally world and it actually works pretty good. For 25 bucks, it'll hold you over untill you can afford a commercial one. We've had it for over a year and we use it almost every weekend and it still works perfectly. You can make a lot of noise and holler a lot during breakfast and it will feel like Waffle House, but wait, you probably already do that.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    We bought a Farberware one at wally world and it actually works pretty good. For 25 bucks, it'll hold you over untill you can afford a commercial one. We've had it for over a year and we use it almost every weekend and it still works perfectly. You can make a lot of noise and holler a lot during breakfast and it will feel like Waffle House, but wait, you probably already do that.

Yeah, but there's something about being served a waffle by a waitress with a mustache. No matter the waffle iron, you just can't replicate the true WaHo experience.
    Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,960 Senior Member
    Easily. They make a flexible stainless steel gas line that you can fish right down the wall.
    Now THERE is a legitimate use for the metal. Makes great automotive exhaust systems too. :devil:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 806 Senior Member
    She moved you out to the garage? Man, that's cold.

Nice homestead.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
    Rimfire wrote: »
    She moved you out to the garage? Man, that's cold.

Nice homestead.
    Thanks and yes, that's her plan!
12346»