got back from skiing in VT

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,291 Senior Member
Had a great time.

Left for Okemo at 730A and arrived about 5p. Long boring trip. It did give me the motivation on Sat to connect the inverter to one of the upfitter switches in the Ford. That way the GPS wouldn't get unplugged when the wife decided her stupid phone was more important which happens on every trip. However, since I crawled under the dash, fished wire, and hunted the hot wires, she slept most of the trip and didn't need to charge. :confused:

I had made a lasagna for Sun night. Found out buddys SIL is a vegetarian, and the his wife cant eat red sauce because of the acid. That broke my heart and made me feel bad for about 1 sec when I realized that meant there was more for me. :applause: It is very good I must say and I saw the vegetarian scoring pieces even though there was about 2lb of meat in that one pan. I don't like leaving people out, so I am thinking of a pesto and cheese lasagna for them, and it sounds pretty good anyway. Its in work.

We were in a ski in ski out and it was awesome. The ski out door was next to a restaurant/bar at the bottom of a lift. I mean it was the NEXT door past the porch. We walked 30 feet, put on the skis, and slid over to the lift 150 feet away. When you slid up to the porch at the end of the day, you skied ON to the porch, took the skis off, walked inside, pulled your boots and gear, changed into a swimsuit, crocs and a light jacket, walked out the bottom door 40 feet to the hot tub room with the indoor outdoor pool and sauna. I asked my buddy "Do you remember when we saw the folks in the ski in ski out places and were jealous? " He said "Yep" I said, "we had every right to be. This is f-ing awesome."

pointtohome_zpsn6bgk5oe.jpg

Mon wasn't the greatest of conditions. It was kind of like ice cubes in places. Took the good with the bad and skied all day. I tried a blast of Rumplemintz in hot chocolate when we skied in for lunch. It was a hit all around.
Tues we got 5 in of heavy snow. It wasn't powder by any means, kind of like skiing on sand, it was dry, but heavy. It was a blast. It was hard skiing and that chased a lot of folks off the hill. I got to cut fresh snow or barely tracked all morning. It got cruddy (chopped up thick/thin) in the afternoon but while you had to be aware, it was a blast.
Wed it rained a little at night, then turned to snow. Okemo is know for its grooming and they chopped it up all night long and it was easy, fast and fun. I got to really let the new skis run and after 2 full days I had gotten some form back. I was planting poles and transferring like I knew what I was doing. I played with ankle turning the skis, and WOW. These (Elan Amphibio) skis like that a lot, just roll over a little and let them run on a big wide groomer. They made me look good.

We are booking the same place for the same time next year.

Couples
hill_zps4ytvn5io.jpg

Happy wife, happy life. Wife on a high speed 6 seat with a dome and heated seats.
bubble1_zpszkg9sadp.jpg
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    All in one piece is good!
    Support your local Scouts!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    I've gotten hurt more at work, and dont have nearly the fun I do skiing.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,288 Senior Member
    Awesome trip. I really miss skiing in Vermont.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,333 Senior Member
    That looks like a fun trip even for a southerner like me that doesn't like snow!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,658 Senior Member
    Been 25 years since I was on snow skis. That looks like a blast!
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,093 Senior Member
    Cool. Sometimes I miss skiing, but am unable to since I hurt my leg.

In the mid-80s, I lived in the Salt Lake Valley (Utah), and could leave my house at 8 a.m. and be skiing by 9. I would usually drive by one ski resort to get to the one where I skied. I think I went 10 times one winter.

Lift tickets were about $10, and I had a pair of used skis and boots that I bought at a garage sale for $50. My bibs cost about $20 that I bought at a discount store (sort of like Sam's or Costco).

Now, I'm told that lift tickets in the cheapest places in the state are about $85/day, although you can usually find a 2 for 1 deal if you look. The really expensive places, like Vail or Aspen, are probably $150 or more. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed yourself. I used to really like it, but it's a part of my past that I don't see myself revisiting.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,699 Senior Member
    What's all that white stuff??

Used to CC ski in Wisconsin and loved it, never down hilled! Snow is fun, for about one week, but it gets real old after six months!
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Cool. Sometimes I miss skiing, but am unable to since I hurt my leg.

In the mid-80s, I lived in the Salt Lake Valley (Utah), and could leave my house at 8 a.m. and be skiing by 9. I would usually drive by one ski resort to get to the one where I skied. I think I went 10 times one winter.
    Lift tickets were about $10, and I had a pair of used skis and boots that I bought at a garage sale for $50. My bibs cost about $20 that I bought at a discount store (sort of like Sam's or Costco).
    Now, I'm told that lift tickets in the cheapest places in the state are about $85/day, although you can usually find a 2 for 1 deal if you look. The really expensive places, like Vail or Aspen, are probably $150 or more. I'm not sure.
    Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed yourself. I used to really like it, but it's a part of my past that I don't see myself revisiting.
    I grew up in the Poconos, About 1980 a night lift ticket at Elk Mt was 8 bucks and the hill was 40 min away. A little farther than the real glitzy ones, but it is a skiers hill and was mostly locals and more laid back. I rented stuff and skied in jeans until I was stationed in WA. Then I bought decent boots and cheap used skis. Picked up bibs and coat at K mart or some such place. I skied Lake Tahoe in camo utility pants and a field jacket. I got Kombi gloves as a Christmas present which was the best piece of gear I owned for years. I just got another set from LL Bean. I think it was 28 for a lift ticket at Baker. When I got the job in NJ I lived in PA 15 miles from Shawnee. Its a little hill, but I could be there in 1/2 a hr after work. Had 3 participation trophy's (kids) and the wife stayed home with them so I quit skiing for 16 years or so. Made a financial plan, and stuck with it. Got clear of everything and had income to use for other stuff. Decided to get back into it, my gear was basically dry rotted, so I got new boots last year and skis this season. Found a mid state slope that is pretty OK on price. If you get the tickets on line at the right time, I have gone for 17 bucks on a weekday and it is far away from most cities.
    We got a package at Okemo. It was 3K for Sun night through Thurs noon. 3 bedrooms. That meant that the wife and I stayed for 4 nights and skied 3 days for a grand, food and about 230 in fuel. Normal day lift tickets there go for 101.00/day.

As to the leg, depending on what you did, you might not be out of it. I had the left torn up, the right worked on and arthritis in both from years of jumping off equipment and critters and then climbing poles. I take a Alieve in the AM, and put a simple knee brace from Wal Mart on the left and go. The new parabolic skis are SOOOOO freaking easy to turn, but a bit more expensive. If you are putting stress on yourself, you are doing it wrong. I dont do a bunch of blacks, no double black, only teeny bumps, and I know when to quit. There were a LOT of guys and ladies there who had me by 20 years and I aint no kid.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,093 Senior Member
    As to the leg, depending on what you did, you might not be out of it. I had the left torn up, the right worked on and arthritis in both from years of jumping off equipment and critters and then climbing poles. I take a Alieve in the AM, and put a simple knee brace from Wal Mart on the left and go. The new parabolic skis are SOOOOO freaking easy to turn, but a bit more expensive. If you are putting stress on yourself, you are doing it wrong. I dont do a bunch of blacks, no double black, only teeny bumps, and I know when to quit. There were a LOT of guys and ladies there who had me by 20 years and I aint no kid.

I tried skiing one time after I hurt my leg. It's not a matter of arthritis or being too painful. I lost a tendon in my lower left leg and am unable to flex my foot, or to lock my foot at the ankle. This makes right turns very difficult.

Sounds like you got a good deal on your ski trip. :up:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,818 Senior Member
    Looks like an awesome time, but...there's a conspicuous lack of shots with you hitting the aerials ramps...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Looks like an awesome time, but...there's a conspicuous lack of shots with you hitting the aerials ramps...

annnnnd it will remain that way. I love it but I know I cant hammer like I used to. I did get air once, just a little.