Home Main Category Hunting

.30cal Hornady168gr ELD-Match = Range/Field Report

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,944 Senior Member
    Well, I decided to stop speculating and just call Hornady.

The gentleman I spoke to said that the only differences between the .30cal 168gr A-Max and ELd-Match bullet are as follows:

1. Redesign of the boat tail to a shallower angle and longer tail.
    2. The above caused a shift in the weight distribution and therefore a redesign of the front to a sharper angle were necessary.
    3. A harder polymer tip.

Other than that, the composition of the core and jacket material and thickness are the same. They are not a "softer" bullet.

When I asked about the apparent rapid expansion, the only thing he could think of was the harder tip driving into the core of the bullet and........being harder.......causing a more dramatic expansion as the core and jacket parted around the less forgiving tip.

I asked if they were going to discontinue the 168gr A-Max and or the TAP line of ammunition He said "No". There were too many long term Le contracts with that ammo and bullet, including the 155gr A-Max to discontinue the bullets and ammo. It would not be a smart business/financial move for them.

This makes me happy.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I'm still gonna do a whole bunch of terminal testing with the 168gr ELD-Match for science. I got'em..........might as well.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Since I don't care about the .308 Amax, you should have asked about the .243 105 Amax.
    I think they are already discontinued. They have already released the eld version, and Midway had the Amax on clearance. I got 600 at 20 per 100. Midway no longer lists the A max.
    Quit raining on my parade. I saw some 105 on clearance at academy. $16 per box. Of course, they were all gone. I scoured the selves, and even asked the tool behind the counter of they had any hidden.

I've got 1,000 of them. I'm set for a little while.

I got mine!!!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've got maybe 100. Then it's back to the HPBT. Or, something else. They are getting a bit proud of their bullets. Maybe they are worth the extra. Maybe not. But they are creeping up into "fancy bullet" money.

I just got a Natchez flyer in the mail today and they show the 105's in stock for 23.50 a box.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,658 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    1. Redesign of the boat tail to a shallower angle and longer tail.
    I can see this reducing the amount of internal bearing surface for the core inside the jacket. Since as soon as the core moves the slightest fraction of an inch, all of the lead in the boat tail area becomes unsupported and "undersized" compared to the jacket around it.

Also as the core moves forward, that undersized area will replace full diameter core material.

I can see how that might make it act "softer"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.