Home Main Category Hunting

Question about your opinions on European style driven hunts

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 356 Member
Hello all!

I have been watching hunting videos from YouTube. One thing has jumped to my mind. When I have read comments to videos it's pretty common to read negative opinions on driven hunts. Many people claim that it's not hunting but killing.
How do you feel? Do you feel that standing in a place and waiting for the game passing by ain't no hunting?
And what about Scandinavian moose hunt where we shoot cows and calves too? As we are not after trophies but meat and hunt to regulate populations too.

I would love to hear your comments for this. Be brave in your opinions, so am I :popcorn:
To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,558 Senior Member
    I killed my first deer on a "Deer Drive".

Carry on.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,140 Senior Member
    Different places...different customs....I've participated in some driven pheasant shooting and had a nice time, but it was shooting as opposed to hunting... Deer drives are a pretty common thing in some parts of the U.S....and illegal in others...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    The twelfth would not be so glorious without the beaters.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    It's not my preferred style, but I've got nothing against it if clean kills are made. Personally, I don't attempt running shots, or any other low percentage shots. For me, doing it right is placing a single precise shot that kills quickly. Of course, where I live, spot and stalk is not very practical, so I spend time learning where the deer are traveling, and try to lure the does and young bucks into a baited area. Then, I can scan the outlying areas for the older bucks, which typically won't come to the feeder. Spot and stalk hunters are critical of this method, but it's about the only way to score a nice buck on the small tracts of land where I'm able to hunt.

Mostly, folks use the methods that work for them, and enjoy it, so I have no real problem with any humane method.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,436 Senior Member
    Like Zee, I killed my first deer on a deer drive. It's been almost 35 years since I've hunted a deer drive, that being said I have no issues with deer drives as long as hunters are the ones doing the pushing of the animals.

What I don't care for and actually can't stand is big game hunting with dogs. It's just something I've never cared for nor will ever. I don't have any issues hunting hogs with dogs as they aren't considered a big game animal just a driven destructive 4-legged pack of rototillers.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,071 Senior Member
    I have no problem with it. Heck, in parts of the US they run the deer with dogs

Its more humane for the deer than what we do with cows and pigs for commercial sale. The deer has a chance
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,694 Senior Member
    I hunted deer with dogs for several yrs and never killed a.deer being run by the dogs. I did use a lot of gas running around chasing the dogs though.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Driven hunts, either by people or dogs is fine by me.

I've never shot anything on a driven hunt, either by people or dogs; unless hunting rabbits with a dog pack qualifies as a driven hunt.

I have; however, shot a few deer that were being driven by others dogs and happened to almost run over me while I was hunting squirrels in a national forest.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Never been on such a hunt, so it would be unfair as well as unwise to comment further. As for shooting cows and calves, I would defer to the game managers of the area. They should know and understand what's best for the overall health of the herd. I've shot doe antelope and one fawn that I mistook for a doe (it was small enough to be tagged with a doe tag), as well as one cow elk. Generally speaking, the young animals and the females are better eating than the older males.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    Driving deer or bear is commonplace in PA. I have been on and done drives many times in the past. Since I bought my property and it sits between heavily hunted areas on all sides, driving is not the best way to go. It worked pretty well for the kids when they were little. Not a lot of physical, just learned patience.

On the other hand, baiting is illegal, except in the special regulation areas (close to populated areas where the urban deer need to be thinned and they are living in backyards) and that has just been the last 2 years.

As to shooting cows and calfs, it depends on what the game management gurus have to say. If the herd needs reduced to be kept in a healthy state, then it is the right thing to do.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,694 Senior Member

As to shooting cows and calfs, it depends on what the game management gurus have to say. If the herd needs reduced to be kept in a healthy state, then it is the right thing to do.

Had the backstraps off of a very young doe once. No spots, but they couldn't have been gone long............ Best ever! Like milk fed veal..........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson