Home Main Category Personal Defense

Personal Defense light

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
I got out of the habit of carrying some sort of supplemental light for use in personal defense situations, My Snap On guy gave Me (gift) a Streamlight Stylus Pro, I am amazed at how much light it gives off, this light will be a permanent fixture on Me.
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    I'm a big fan of Surefires, I started with one and now I've got a little collection--gotta have one for work, one for the glovebox, one for carry, one in my hunting gear....

I'll second BP on the G2 models, the "Defender" version with the scalloped front cap would definitely smart if you smacked someone in the nugget with it.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    Maybe not the best Personal Defense light, but I daily carry a Mini LED Mag Light in the nylon holder that came with it as it gives out excellent light. I bought 3 of them at Lowe's when they were on sale along with a 3-D cell LED Mag light. I also have a Surefire 8X that is very bright that I can use if needed.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    I never leave home, actually it is always there when I put my pants on, a Leatherman Wave multitool, in the nylon pouch that comes with it I have a mini Sharpie pen and a 24seven 1 AAA battery flashlight that is awesome!

Next to bed I have a Blackhawk Gladius flashlight, not pretty but I got it for a song and Blackhawk made it new for free in the strobe mode, JIC the zombies are already in the room!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Nomadac wrote: »
    Maybe not the best Personal Defense light, but I daily carry a Mini LED Mag Light in the nylon holder that came with it as it gives out excellent light. I bought 3 of them at Lowe's when they were on sale along with a 3-D cell LED Mag light. I also have a Surefire 8X that is very bright that I can use if needed.

Likewise. I got the Mini-Mag 2 AA battery LED light which has ~60 lumens. At $22 it's hard to beat, and I refuse to buy anything that relies on $5 batteries.

I've got an older Mag-Lite in the Jeep (3 D batteries), but need to buy the kit to swap it to LED lights.

http://www.niteize.com/products/1-watt-led-upgrade-cd-cell

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    All of the family is getting new Streamlights from me this year. I picked one up for everyone but me (big oversight on my part). I am hoping Santa brings me one or a Surefire this year.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    I've got an older Mag-Lite in the Jeep (3 D batteries), but need to buy the kit to swap it to LED lights.
    Luis

Great! Someone else keepin' it old school. Now I don't feel like such a dinosaur!

"imoit:

I keep a 2AA standard MiniMaglite in the SUV, and the 3D club/Maglite bedside for the most part. Got very familiar and comfortable with them as belt gear during my security gig, and it's tough to tell the old friends goodbye - I'm a sucker that way!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I always like to keep a large 5 D-Cell maglite as a war club.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I always like to keep a large 5 D-Cell maglite as a war club.

This is just a horrible idea all around.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

I don't see why, I have used Maglites for that purpose to good effect since before the modern smaller lights we now have.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I don't see why, I have used Maglites for that purpose to good effect since before the modern smaller lights we now have.

Unfortunately, it's the largely discontinued C-cell Maglites that made the best war clubs - slightly smaller diameter. . .fits hand better. . .changes direction easier. . .focuses impact on a smaller area. . .

I've been toting a Blackhawk Gladius since they first hit the market. I've been pondering replacement for a while, but with dim-to-bright, strobe, and momentary settings, it does almost everything I need a light to do.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Luis, I've been sorely disappointed with the niteize leds twice.

Edited because apparently MAGLite does offer their LED upgrades anymore :(
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    My Surefire Defender is never far away.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    The only draw back is them batteries.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    The only draw back is them batteries.

I was using my EDC light at work (SureFire Backup). So I was using a couple CR123's a month. Now, I can get AA free from the tool crib so I got a Fenix LD10..

LD10.jpg

It is about 40% of the cost of my Backup, but you get what you pay for. Although it is as bright as the Backup, it doesn't focus all of the light as well as the BU so you get better distance from the SureFire (this has been true with everything I've compared to my SureFires so far). Not a concern at work but is for EDC. If you leave the LD10 on for more than two minutes the light flickers a bit, and twice now the light didn't come on when the battery was just noticably getting weaker. Inserted a new battery and it worked again... Again not a concern at work with free batteries, but not cheaper than 123's if you have to keep fresh AA's in the thing all of the time....

The Backup will digitally only turn on to low when the battery gets low, so you will always be left with a couple hours of usable light. It does ome in handy.. I've had it for two years now and I still think it is worth the extra $$$$....

E1Bhand.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member

Go ahead and let DoctorWho smack you with it and then report back to me on how that worked out for ya. LOL A 5 D-Cell Maglite is a heck of a club.
    Great! Someone else keepin' it old school. Now I don't feel like such a dinosaur!

"imoit:

I keep a 2AA standard MiniMaglite in the SUV, and the 3D club/Maglite bedside for the most part. Got very familiar and comfortable with them as belt gear during my security gig, and it's tough to tell the old friends goodbye - I'm a sucker that way!

They may be old fashioned, but they're relatively inexpensive, and still work well. For those of us who recoil in horror at the idea of spending $100+ for a light, it's still a great option for a fraction of the price.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member

You're showing your age. You may find it hard to believe that there was a time when maglights were a common multipurpose tool on the belt of many an LEO.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    You're showing your age. You may find it hard to believe that there was a time when maglights were a common multipurpose tool on the belt of many an LEO.

The same can be said for cassette decks. Mag light is in trouble, Streamlight is kicking their backside. Everyone at work owns a Stinger DS-led. I have several mag lights, they just don't come close to a Streamlight flashlight.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »

I agree with Eli somewhat. It's the same arguement we had when discussing carrying an expandable baton. You have to know how to fight to use it effectively.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson