Home Main Category General Firearms

RCBS Chargemaster Lite

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 4,440 Senior Member
Spotted this while ordering some bullets yesterday. Had it in the cart and would have put it on the credit card right then, but it's out of stock. For the price, seems like a decent deal to me. What do y'all think? I'm thinking about picking one up when they come back in stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/642266/rcbs-chargemaster-lite-powder-scale-and-dispenser-110-volt
«1

Replies

  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I wish.
    Enjoy :up:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,769 Senior Member
    Interesting! I kinda like it. Why would you not go ahead and put it on backorder for that price?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Interesting! I kinda like it. Why would you not go ahead and put it on backorder for that price?

    No real reason. Paid for the bullets with my debit card. This one would have needed the credit card to come out right now. So it was that, or order the bullets now and wait on the Chargemaster till payday. So that's what I went with.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Regular Chargemaster are great. Don't see why that wouldn't be, the price is awesome.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Buy it. The only reason they came out with it is because they are getting killed by less expensive models from Lyman and Hornady now. I love my Chargemaster. I would love my Chargemaster even more if I had paid less for it. The tech is getting cheaper and cheaper by the day. They charged us that much for those because they could get away with it. Now they can't.

    Buy it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,516 Senior Member
    I have it's big brother and would still prefer that for my needs as my load development process involves loading strings of rounds where each and every one has a different powder charge. For that, the bigger keypad with actual keys works better. If all you're going to to is repeat the same charge a lot, it looks like a winner.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,848 Senior Member
    I believe it's not even available yet as it's a very new model. I saw it announced a few weeks back. I still use my original Chargemaster now about 8 or 9 years old. I use it to measure out a load and then I finish the load on my A&D Fx120 scale, which measures to the kernel. It takes a little longer, but it made a lot of those whiskey tango foxtrot shots at 1000 go away. Now all those that remain are mine.

    After a couple of years of this drill, I find that the CM will throw accurately about 10-15% of the time, under by a tenth or so 65-70%, 10% under by more than a tenth of a grain and the remainder will be slightly over. That explained these errant low shots that would pop out at times.

    What was bad was the fact the weights that were very low would not show as low on the display; the ones that were over did show.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    One of those videos I watched showed a guy checking a charge with an electronic scale (small one, not a dispenser) but he would first weigh the empty brass then zero it and then drop a charge and weigh it. I guess it saved him from having to pour it in a pan by just subtracting the total weight from the weight of the brass without powder. He was just checking powder dispensers one electronic and one mechanical between each other.

    The new Lee Drum powder dispenser mechanical (actuated by powder through die on a press) was just as accurate as a Hornady Lite electronic scale he put it up against, both .10 grain above/below or dead on for charges.


    I use a Redding balanced beam scale to verify my charges. Have an older Lyman 1200DPS I haven't used much, but will again one of these days.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,848 Senior Member
    Yeah, that's one way to do it, as long as it works for you, you're not doing it wrong. As for the guy who's dropping it in an empty case on the other scale, that just seems to be a check at the grain or maybe tenth of a grain. The resolution on that scale can't be anything better than that. The A&D will detect a .02 grain change, which is the weight of a single kernel of Varget, and it's repeatable. I use an Omega trickler and a plastic tweezers to get to that precision. For the vast majority of shooters, that's overkill but I sure see the results on the 1000 yard target.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Just so happens that my state income tax return check came in today. So this thing will probably be put on back order as soon as the check hits my account. :guns:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,769 Senior Member
    Range Report!!!!!!!

    Way to take one for the team!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Range Report!!!!!!!

    Way to take one for the team!!

    Ordered. Definitely will range report when it gets in. Says expected in stock 3/13. Hopefully have it in a couple weeks.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,848 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Just so happens that my state income tax return check came in today. So this thing will probably be put on back order as soon as the check hits my account. :guns:

    I think you will really like the Chargemaster lite. I look forward to the review.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    $220 shipped is what it came out to.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    I think you will really like the Chargemaster lite. I look forward to the review.

    Thanks. I believe I will as well. I have a Redding Match Grade 3BR that works great. But like most other measures, it's tough with the longer extruded powders. Looking forward to working with this thing when it gets in.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,848 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Thanks. I believe I will as well. I have a Redding Match Grade 3BR that works great. But like most other measures, it's tough with the longer extruded powders. Looking forward to working with this thing when it gets in.

    I think you will find that it does extremely well with extruded or stick powder. It will be an eye opener for you and you will think either "where has this been all my life?" or "why did I wait so long to get this thing?"

    Either way, it will be fun. Just be careful of the idiosyncrasies associated with such a device. It will throw short more often than you think and it might be a good idea after it ends its cycle to lift the pan and redeposit it on the scale to check the weight again before dumping the powder in the case. It's a good idea to plug it in and power it up for a half hour or more before starting your loading session.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    I think you will find that it does extremely well with extruded or stick powder. It will be an eye opener for you and you will think either "where has this been all my life?" or "why did I wait so long to get this thing?"

    Either way, it will be fun. Just be careful of the idiosyncrasies associated with such a device. It will throw short more often than you think and it might be a good idea after it ends its cycle to lift the pan and redeposit it on the scale to check the weight again before dumping the powder in the case. It's a good idea to plug it in and power it up for a half hour or more before starting your loading session.

    Thanks. I've wanted a Chargemaster for a long while. The price is what kept me from getting one. That's why I jumped on the Chargemaster Lite.

    I have a buddy who has the Lyman version and I've watched him work with it some. I did not order one of those at the lower cost after watching his. More often that not, it would throw overcharges. It has an alarm on it that sounds when the target charge is exceeded, and it was alarming on almost every charge. Problem was, it would start off fast, then slow down as it got closer to the desired charge weight. But, it was slowing down too late and overshooting the charge. He corrected the problem by modifying a spent shell case and put it over the power dispensing tube to slow the trickle of powder down a little. It's working good for him now. But I didn't want to deal with all the fuss that he went through with his. I have no experience with the Hornady version. I just know a lot of yall have talked highly of the Chargemaster, so I'm hoping this one will perform as well.

    I will take your advice on double checking the powder charges. I have a RCBS Rangemaster digital scale I can use to compare the two as well. I can at least compare what the two scales say on a given charge weight.

    My Rangemaster also requires that it be started and warmed up a bit before using it. It fluctuates pretty wildly until it warms up. I was fairly sure they same would be true on the Chargemaster. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Also, to be honest, if the Chargemaster Lite will throw within + or - .1 grain the majority of the time, I'll be happy with it. For what I do, that's plenty good enough. Although I always like to see the best accuracy I can possibly get, the typical range I shoot very rarely exceeds 400 yards and my loads don't need to do much better than MOA for my uses. If half MOA or longer range was in the picture, I'd definitely want to tighten up the tolerance on powder charges.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,848 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Also, to be honest, if the Chargemaster Lite will throw within + or - .1 grain the majority of the time, I'll be happy with it. For what I do, that's plenty good enough. Although I always like to see the best accuracy I can possibly get, the typical range I shoot very rarely exceeds 400 yards and my loads don't need to do much better than MOA for my uses. If half MOA or longer range was in the picture, I'd definitely want to tighten up the tolerance on powder charges.
    My CM does very well for loads intended for under 600 yards without using the A&D to finish them, so to speak. For 3-400 yards you'll have no problems and it will be fine.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I was looking at the RCBS Lite earlier. Looks like a pretty good one. I have an older Lymam 1200 DPS, I got it out today to see if it still works. Been 6 years or more since I powered it up. One I inherited from my late brother. At first I thought I lost the power adapter because the one in the box didn't plug in, wrong size. It said Canon .....for a camera. Packers a couple moves ago must have put it in the box.

    Anyway after a 30 minute warm up and reading the instructions, I threw a few charges of 25.0 grains of BLC-2 to see and it was right on or .10 over. I remember I spilled powder when I first used it because I left the dump chute open on the back.

    It has a speed-up kit with it too. Problem is I dunno if it is installed or not. in a box and I'm still looking for the instructions. Says DPS 1200 Speed Upgrade Kit and made by Lyman. I see they have newer models that are supposed to have better features. I think you can store 30 charge weights on this on and recall them. Has a trickle feature too.

    It is BIG.

    Not sure how much I'd gain from not using my RCBS Uniflow I usually use for rifle charges. If it is worth the trouble. My shootin is always 100 yards or less. I can go to 200 at the range I use.

    Let us know how that Lite works for you.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Oh, the power cord and adapter was stowed in a HIDDEN storage compartment on the Lyman .............imagine that, tricky ain't they :conehead: :tooth: :roll2: :roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    I bought one when they first came out and it cost me a great deal more. But that's water under the bridge and I use mine anytime I'm reloading and love it. If I was you I'd save my money and get one ASAP.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    big elk wrote: »
    I bought one when they first came out and it cost me a great deal more. But that's water under the bridge and I use mine anytime I'm reloading and love it. If I was you I'd save my money and get one ASAP.

    I've already got mine on back order. Just waiting for it to come back in stock. :up:
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Of course, now that I've got the Chargemaster Lite ordered, they drop the price of the Chargemaster 1500.
    $259 And it's in stock, with a $10 rebate offer....

    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/772151/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Thanks. I believe I will as well. I have a Redding Match Grade 3BR that works great. But like most other measures, it's tough with the longer extruded powders. Looking forward to working with this thing when it gets in.

    My full form Chargemaster cost me about $320-$330 if I recall and that was about 7 years back l believe. For what I do with it the Lite model would serve me just fine. That's a deal, enjoy it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Of course, now that I've got the Chargemaster Lite ordered, they drop the price of the Chargemaster 1500.
    $259 And it's in stock, with a $10 rebate offer....

    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/772151/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt

    Of course! What you expect, your cake and eat it too? They always do that to keep us from becoming Cocky, LOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,769 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Of course, now that I've got the Chargemaster Lite ordered, they drop the price of the Chargemaster 1500.
    $259 And it's in stock, with a $10 rebate offer....

    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/772151/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt

    You can cancel your Lite order.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    That exact thought has been running through my brain all afternoon....
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    Well, done did it. Cancelled the Chargemaster Lite back order and ordered the full size Chargemaster. For $50 more, and it ships tomorrow instead of maybe in two weeks, and I get a $10 rebate plus a free tshirt. Added in a $4 free shipping item, so shipping was only $5. Good to go.

    Also added one of these
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/755866/rcbs-electronic-scale-powder-funnel-pan

    Sorry I won't be the guinea pig for the Chargemaster Lite....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Well, done did it. Cancelled the Chargemaster Lite back order and ordered the full size Chargemaster. For $50 more, and it ships tomorrow instead of maybe in two weeks, and I get a $10 rebate plus a free tshirt. Added in a $4 free shipping item, so shipping was only $5. Good to go.

    Also added one of these
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/755866/rcbs-electronic-scale-powder-funnel-pan

    Sorry I won't be the guinea pig for the Chargemaster Lite....

    OOPS! Now you went and did it! And a Tee Shirt to boot? I do hate you now!!!

    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement