Home Main Category Clubhouse

Anyone have any experience w/central vacuums?

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,663 Senior Member
... I'm thinking, which could be a bad thing...
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Not personal, but secondhand experience with them. My nephew in FL has had that central vacuuming thing in a couple of other houses, including the present one. It works pretty good getting up dirt and dust of the type encountered in SW FL. It SHOULD GO WITHOUT SAYING that nothing WET should be sucked up into the vacuuming ductwork. Unless you want to smell something closely akin to a dead and festering rat and have to clean the vacuum lines.

The vacuum bag in the garage is HUGE and holds a lot of dirt before needing to be cleaned/changed. That's a plus.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Yes, PITA. Was builder/developer in the past...it was a gimmick at best, but if done right, was a neat add on. IF being the operative word...know the sub contractor or NO!
    Support your local Scouts!
  • BingBing Member Posts: 95 Member
    If you, or your wife, have a bad back hauling a vacuum around is one of the worse activities you can do for the back. With just a hose to work with would make that activity much easier.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Mom had one
    I won't have one
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Our house has one. It works. Never gets used while the Dyson does the work. We have no carpet.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    My nephew sold them for awhile. The main selling points are......

No noise. Motor is in the basement/garage
    Less weight. No motor
    More powerful. Vacuums are limited on amps (most are 12A) because they have to be plugged into an outlet that may already be drawing amps for other household things. If you wire it directly to the electric box you can go with a 20amp motor.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    My nephew sold them for awhile. The main selling points are......

No noise. Motor is in the basement/garage
    Less weight. No motor
    More powerful. Vacuums are limited on amps (most are 12A) because they have to be plugged into an outlet that may already be drawing amps for other household things. If you wire it directly to the electric box you can go with a 20amp motor.

What he said....I've installed several over the years during construction. No one ever complained about a suction problem. Hose is usually smaller diameter then the pipes.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Meh. If there's one there, I'd live with it. If there isn't, I wouldn't install one.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,941 Senior Member
    I lived in one house with a central vac. It was great until something was sucked up that blocked one of the airways. Then, it really sucked.

This is probably why they're not so common any more.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    They suck. heheheheh
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I lived in one house with a central vac. It was great until something was sucked up that blocked one of the airways. Then, it really sucked.

This is probably why they're not so common any more.

This... pet hair and dust OK, but one paper clip and you have an obstruction inside a wall. If you have a one story home with a basement where you could get to the lines it would be best.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I think they suck.

I don't think one would be very practical anymore. Modern stick vacs are cheap, got lots of power and are just as light or lighter than the hose assembly you have to drag from room to room.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine