Back to da woods I go!

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,583 Senior Member
Headed out to the woods tomorrow for a few days; just coming off a nasty cold so some out of the house time will be nice!
I am not really looking for deer this time, mainly looking to play with my H&R 1873 trapdoor and ruin a few pigs weekend but if a nce deer walks out then what the heck.
Weather is going to be nice with the mornings in low 40's and the afternoon highs in the low 60's. I might just get in a little fishing time while I'm out. Sure is nice when it's still early in the season and I already have enough venison and pork on the ground; This is more of a just to relax time out.
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Like they would put this in the West Indies in the Carribean, you be sucking large mann!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Looking forward to the field report on the trapdoor. Enjoy your time afield.

Sako
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    I'm going out tomorrow as well. I just realized I am completely out of regular smoked venison sausage. I need to get another deer of 4.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I'm going out tomorrow as well. I just realized I am completely out of regular smoked venison sausage. I need to get another deer of 4.

Good luck my friend! I'm sitting in the blind right now waiting on some pigs; had a young doe walk by a little while ago; funny how you always see everything but what you are looking for.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Sounds like you're headed for a great time. The pressure to produce meat is off, so go have fun with that gun of your and let us know how it goes.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    If we had caves around here I'd go stay in the woods as well.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Well just missed about an 80 pound pig at 150 yards with the 1873. I think I allowed for too much bullet drop but it was close enough th scare the innards out of him. This is going to be a fun challenge; normally a shot like that out of my hunting rifles is a guaranteed kill. Oh well I'll get him next time!
    It's cold and wet out here, been drizzling all day long. I'm still hoping to score with the 1873 but so far no luck. I did mange to pop a fairly good sized bore hog this morning but took it with my AR-10; too far for me and the iron sights on the 1873. I did see a couple of small does this morning but not worth shooting. I'm hoping this wet weather will be more productive since nothing moved last night before the front came through. I'll post a pick of the oinker when I get home tomorrow.
    Success!

I took a small doe this evening with the trapdoor. Rounds used are 405 grain cast with 42 grains of varget. I hit both lungs with a 70 yards shot that went through and through hitting a rib on both sides. The deer hit the ground hard but still managed to get up and run about 20 yards. I'll get pics out tomorrow.
    Just got home a little while ago; what a great time out in the woods event thought it was cold and we got rained on. I was the only one who got anything out of the three of us out there so I guess I was the lucky one. Here are the pics of the pig and doe I took this weekend. I didn't need another deer but one of the other hunters said if I had the opportunity to take a deer for him so when the doe walked out at 70 yards I grabbed the old Springfield trapdoor and kaboom.....
    Doedecember102011withtrapdoor.jpg
    pig12102011.jpg

Along with good hunting is good friends and good BBQ; Friday we had ribs, sausage, green beans and macaroni salad with avacado halfs on the side. To wash it down we had a few cold beers then finished the night off with some eggnog and rum; I am supprised we all made it up in time to hunt Saturday morning of course being the night owl party people we are, we all hit the sack at 22:30!
    Yum-yum!
    BBQathuntingcamp120911.jpg
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Congrats mi amigo :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Thanks Paul!:beer:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Congrats, the trapdoor earns it's keep.

Sako
    Ribbs off a nice fat sow, man it don't get much better than that, unless you have gun barers to haul the damn thing back to camp and clean and butcher it for you. WOW!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • backwaterbobbackwaterbob Member Posts: 102 Member
    :up:timc, them ribs lookin gooood !!!
    bwb
    Hey BWB, haven't heard from you in a few. Yep dem dar ribs be fit to eat!!!
    snake284 wrote: »
    Hey BWB, haven't heard from you in a few. Yep dem dar ribs be fit to eat!!!

There is only one thing wrong with those ribs; they are gone! I wish there were sme leftovers right now.
    Too much work today after getting home. I washed the trailer and cleaned the inside, hauled in the bed linnen to wash and then I cleaned guns before they started rusting up. The only bad thing about hunting in wet weather is everything gets muddy and guns don't like the wet stuff much. Everything is back to spotless again tonight and put up where it belongs, next trip probably won't be until the first of the year.
  • backwaterbobbackwaterbob Member Posts: 102 Member
    Hey snake284, not been feeling to well. Some times this desise i have gets me down. Still puzzeling over the 220 Swift and why my reloads wont fit. I will upgrate my post after the Christmas season is over.
    thanks for asking
    bwb