Home Main Category Clubhouse

New Hearing Aids

2»

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    AZ, I like your style of expression. "The Sound Of Freedom"! Never thought of it this way!

Many of us here on the Board spent time in the Military. In my case, as old as I am, it was mandatory, but I would have served anyway. You cannot have vivid memories of WWII with your Dad and Uncles off fighting--and the Grandmother who reared you--crying during news broadcasts--worrying about her two Sons and two brothers off fighting in combat....And me? Spent 26 years total, and the greatest danger I was ever in was Beltway Traffic Around Washington :jester:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    One of my grandfathers in his 80s back in the 60s...........used to get tired of hearing grandma and would say "Hush Lilian........" and click off humongous hearing aids he wore. Except when wrasseling was on TV with Gordon Solie announcing on Saturdays................:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Mine are a made-in-the-USA brand called Starkey. Got 'em from the VA of course, and they work well. They're the kind with a small external device that hangs on top of and behind the ear, and a clear tube that snakes into the ear along the ear's leading edge, and feeds into a small "plug" that goes deep inside the ear canal. Has a remote control device allowing one to do all those newfangled things too. I like 'em, and Lord knows the price was right.
    I

They're almost all like that now Vic. That's what the Tech lady at the Victoria Hearing Center told me yesterday. I went there for two reasons. First, one of the capulary tubes from the electronic pod to the ear piece cracked and I couldn't hear Crappola out of the left side. So she redid both sides with new tubes and now everything's loud again. Also, when my mother died in October they had her's in the shop and I had forgotten about them until they called me the other day. So they're looking into fitting them to my ears. Yesterday they made the castings. They'll be good spares.

Anyway, her's are in the ear traditional aides. Mine are like yours. It's cheaper to make em like that plus they can make a more powerful unit like that because there's no size constraint. Mine are Phonak's.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    tennmike wrote: »
    First rupture of left eardrum was in a decompression chamber at Key West Naval Station. Anus chapeau running the tests on about a dozen of us was an idiot; released pressure too fast and blew out a few eardrums among us. I was in the submarine sonar program, as were the rest of them in the chamber. Those that got eardrums blown out got blown out of the sub sonar program; that bad hearing in one ear is a non starter.

Second blowout of left eardrum was at the 3"-50 twin gun mount. I was 'policing up the brass' in front of the gun mount as it was high enough to the point of interfering with the gun mount traverse (swing L-R). We were in a cease fire while the target was repositioned (old WWII destroyer). My left side was on the outboard side toward the muzzles. Hearing protection OUT due to cease fire, but I had my 'pot' on my noggin. The order came down to resume fire, and the idiot gunners mate lit off both barrels whose muzzles were about 4 feet above my head and I was almost directly under them. Concussion knocked me to my knees, and I came back up with a 3" casing and threw it at him. Good thing he ducked; those things ain't light. Got a gnat ride to the carrier and they confirmed what I already knew; left eardrum ruptured AGAIN! Two weeks in carrier sick bay while my eardrum healed a bit, and being seasick due to that unequal inner ear thing from ruptured eardrum. And the 'nurses' were all buttugly! :tooth: Gunners mate that did it got 'counseled' by the GMG CPO and the Weps officer. :roll2:

Knew a bunch of 'cannon cockers' in the 1st/278th National Guard unit I was in. They were hard of hearing, too. :uhm:

My dad was visiting U.S.S. Alabama in Mobile once and ran into a guy who was telling his wife how he'd lost his hearing when he was on Alabama during WWII. He said he walked out the Sea Door onto the deck adjacent to one of the 16" turrets and it fired. My dad overheard him and introduced himself and the guy told my dad all about it. He said it knocked him backwards off his feet. When he got up, he couldn't hear jack caca. He said the guy had some big ol' hearing aides in his ears and said "HUH?" a lot.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    For me its been 60+ years.

JAY

:beer::beer::usa:
    NRA Benefactor Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Hearing loss discussion on a shooting forum... seems like there us a connection here. ;). Left eardrum was lanced as a baby because of an ear infection, and then my shooting partner as a teen fired a .357 next to it and I was deaf for two days. Now I have significant hearing loss in my left ear aboveI' 4000 hz, and tinnitus. I use a hearing amplifier / in ear protection system I bought from Cauldwell they no longer offer. It is digital, and I can attenuate the low end to hear high end sound better. I don't wear it all the time but it helps my hearing in crowds a lot. It was $60 to try out a hearing system. I think I need to seriously see a pro. I have been looking at systems and my ideal hearing aid would be bluetooth enabled and allow me to pick up my cell phone calls as well as assist my hearing. It would be nice if I could play music through them as well.

D.

I'm getting the blue tooth device for mine and while routing my cell phone to my hearing aides it also can route other devices to them such as television and radio.
    Since I'm disabled the state is getting this for me at half price, about $150.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    17629607_1393271730758700_7057652474535051793_n_zpsccczphl7.jpg

:tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I have Resound Lynx. I rarely wear it because it picks up everything, and then I still have issues deciphering speech into words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."