Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

New York State has truly gone Bonkers

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 12,186 Senior Member
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/york-state-just-passed-163-052118779.html

How can a state that is already taxed out the wazoo afford to pass a budget like this?

The state already has a multi billion dollar deficit of something like 3 or 4 billion. So the answer is to cut taxes, expand spending and include free college tuition for families with an income of less that 125K? The average family income in New York State is just over 60K. There must be something about qualifying for free college tuition hidden in this.
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,382 Senior Member
    "Vote for me and not only will I pay for your kid's college, but I'll also make sure they get a nice leftist indoctrination while they're there. . . and then they'll ALSO vote for me." :bang:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Free college tuition>>>raise the price on campus housing, meals, and books to cover the cost. And change books used for each course each year to prevent selling previous books to incoming students. It's a racket the Mafia would be proud to own.

New York city/state is thinking about doing what California is doing regarding becoming a sanctuary city/state. They are swiftly becoming the California of the East. Running budget deficits like California, too. When a few big cities control the vote in a state, then this is the result. Crazy politics and crazy legislation.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    "Vote for me and not only will I pay for your kid's college, but I'll also make sure they get a nice leftist indoctrination while they're there. . . and then they'll ALSO vote for me." :bang:

Exactly.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,912 Senior Member
    Being a "refugee" from my native State of New York, I can state unequivocally that leaving New York was one of the best decisions I ever made. I haven't been there since 1990, and have no intention to ever return, and thank goodness for "southern hospitality." I have to add though, that New York at least used to be governed by sane minds. These people have really lost their way and are on a track to be just like Commiefornia.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It's going to be easier to run out of "other people's money" when the other people all move to the flyover states and abandon the commie states in droves! I wonder how long the average taxpaying NY resident has to work before he gets to put any money in his own pocket? It's got to be several months, I'm sure!
    Jerry
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Great...drive more of them to Pennsy...please don't we already have too many transplants around here...both full time and commuters (yes, they drive 1.5 to 2 hours each way, every day to got to NYC for work; either in their car or the booming bus companies around here).
    Support your local Scouts!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    According to this, they got 163 million set aside for the tuition costs, in contrast to the 200 million budgeted for heroin and opioid addiction...

http://www.ctpost.com/news/education/article/NY-set-to-make-state-college-tuition-free-for-11061155.php
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,033 Senior Member
    And I heard through the grapevine that Moonbeam signed tax increases on fuel here in Ca. 1 Week, 4 Days and I'm outta here!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I'd be willing to bet the state universities just raised their entrance eligibility requirements..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,033 Senior Member
    I'd be willing to bet the state universities just lowered their entrance eligibility requirements..

FIFY. Don't want to exclude anybody now, do we?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 863 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    1 Week, 4 Days and I'm outta here!

Most awesome!
    Grumpy old gearhead
    Teach wrote: »
    It's going to be easier to run out of "other people's money" when the other people all move to the flyover states and abandon the commie states in droves! I wonder how long the average taxpaying NY resident has to work before he gets to put any money in his own pocket? It's got to be several months, I'm sure!
    Jerry

Believe it or not, if you live inside or outside New York City but work there, you are triple taxed by paying Federal, State and NYC income taxes. What a f'n Rip.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,982 Senior Member
    From what I understand, that catch is that if you take the "free" tuition you have to stay and work in New York State.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    From what I understand, that catch is that if you take the "free" tuition you have to stay and work in New York State.

For at least 4 years after graduation, and you have to maintain a certain GPA. If you don't fulfill the requirements you have to pay the money back as a loan.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    For at least 4 years after graduation, and you have to maintain a certain GPA. If you don't fulfill the requirements you have to pay the money back as a loan.

HA! I LOVE IT! Them crafty DEMOCRATS have just come up with a new form of slavery/indentured servitude! :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    HA! I LOVE IT! Them crafty DEMOCRATS have just come up with a new form of slavery/indentured servitude! :rotflmao:

They never stop, do they? And with the exception of ACTUAL slaves they don't even realize it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I'm all for the deficit spending in this budget. Whatever it takes to drive the first state into bankruptcy, and the sooner the better.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Dem: vote for me and I'll get you pie in the sky with Ice cream on top. Even though I have to pay for it with your children's and grand children's money.
    Liberal Republican: vote for me and I'll get you pie in the sky but we can't afford ice cream because that will bankrupt us a little too fast.
    This is the choice that faces the people of New York State.
    They never stop, do they? And with the exception of ACTUAL slaves they don't even realize it.

I couldn't help it; low hanging fruit ripe for picking. It's a 'GOTCHA' at both ends. Keep up your GPA and NY has you by the short 'n' curlys for a few years. Blow your GPA and they got their hand in your pocket 'right now!' and you gotta pay up. I got a feeling a lot of easy 'crip' courses will be taken to keep that GPA above the cutoff. And the actual education will be less than stellar.

Edit to add: There is already one path to a 'free college education' but it requires a 4 year hitch with a branch of the U.S. military. But it does one thing that is really an eye opener if you get deployed overseas. You get to see how it is over there, and how good you had it back here. And when you get that DD214 and head to college you should be well incentivized to do your dead level best to excel in a course of study that will reward you on graduation.
    ― Douglas Adams