Home Main Category Personal Defense

EFMJ/Guard Dog ammo

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 24,714 Senior Member
There has been a couple of threads on this subject.

Bottom line was it was the same ammo basically, except for the color of the polymer in the bullet; also, it did not get favorable responses for the most part.

I just read a new article on the subject and past comments were correct, for the most part. EFMJ is a LEO rnd and the guard dog is billed as an SD rnd with a glitch. It appears that guard dog is loaded down as compared to EFMF, resulting in non expansion in gel when fired through a cloth barrier from short barreled handguns.

I would buy some if I found some just to shoot some OJ jugs like the one that shot back at me, to see if I could get the same results.
Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,153 Senior Member
    When the EFMJ first came out, I bought a box to test it. It was the only ammo I have ever seen make a CZ-75 jam. I have run that gun with some of the crappiest ammo for thousands of rounds without cleaning, and this stuff made it choke.

I went back to thr tried and true Silvertips.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I tried some stuff like that years ago, (45 acp) and it was very dirty shooting smokey ammo, don't remember the name, but it was no good except to cause FTE.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Well, since I would shoot it in revolvers, I still want to try it.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia