Home Main Category Clubhouse

Firesticks learn me about them

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 5,008 Senior Member
I have a friend that uses firesticks, she told me that she doesn't pay anything for internet, or TV, does anyone here use them and how do they work.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    The Firestick is an Amazon product, and relies on a wireless Internet connection for access to media. I would not run it with less than a 6 mb connection. It comes pre-loaded with with some apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime video. If you have Amazon Prime there is a large library of movies and entertainment that is free to you. If not, far less.

The Firestick is a little computer, running the same operating system as some smart phones, Android. There are third party applications you can load onto it, like Kodi, that allows you to stream video from anywhere it is hosted, whether legal or pirated. It takes a lot of learning to figure out Kodi, but you can get significant amounts of media for free.

The Firestick has little memory 1 GB RAM and 8 GB storage which isn't a lot. It is worth the $39.00 price to play with it. It requires an HDMI connection to your TV and a USB based power source. I have two Firesticks, one here and one in Oregon, and I like them a lot.

Kodi is a lot of application for that little computer and its memory. If the idea is to run Kodi, I recommend running it on a different Android product.

Otherwise you need...

Wireless Internet
    Power
    HDMI capable video connection
    Netflix ( optional )
    Amazon Prime ( optional )

I have both Amazon Prime for my business and Netflix at home. I do not know what it would be like to have a Firestick without them, and they supply me a majority of my video / movies.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I have a friend that uses firesticks, she told me that she doesn't pay anything for internet, or TV, does anyone here use them and how do they work.

JAY

Only way she isn't paying for internet is if she is 'stealing' a neighbors open WiFi signal..........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I use them to start my smoker.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    I just found out 2 friends of mine have it. It is new to them, so they don't know all the capabilities. What else can you get on it besides movies? Regular TV shows like Network TV, cable news like FOX and Velocity Channel?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    Well, just take two sticks and a piece of twine with a little flat piece of wood and some kindling and . . . .
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    I just found out 2 friends of mine have it. It is new to them, so they don't know all the capabilities. What else can you get on it besides movies? Regular TV shows like Network TV, cable news like FOX and Velocity Channel?

What you can do with it is dependent on two things, mainly: 1) How fast your internet connection is, and 2) What streaming services you subscribe to. You can get cable news and other cable channels, and a limited amount of network tv (based on where you live). I have Netflix, Hulu, and PlayStation Vue.

I use Netflix for movies & TV shows - it's great for that, but you can't watch live TV or any current season of any show unless it's a Netflix original show

I use Hulu for movies & TV shows - also great for both, but you can also watch current seasons of certain network shows (like 24, Chicago PD, Law & Order SVU, and others). The best thing about watching shows on Hulu is that they skip the commercials for you.

I use PlayStation Vue for TV shows & live TV - in my area, I get a lot of cable channels that I can watch live (CBS, USA network, TNT, Velocity, AMC), and they provide a DVR service where I can have them automatically record shows for me so I can watch them later. I can watch the same stuff using On Demand, but if I use their DVR, I can fast forward through the commercials.

There's a bunch of services out there; you'll have to pick which one works best for you, but IMO, all of them are better than cable (Comcast, Cox, etc) because they're less expensive and I can watch when it's convenient for me without using a DVR

BTW, if at all possible, try to use an HD antenna for local channels, if they're not available to you through a streaming service. Totally free.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,008 Senior Member
    Thanks to all of you for the right info.

JAY
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,008 Senior Member
    I use them to start my smoker.

Yeah, we use them also, here in the south we call them " litter logs " pronounced " Lighter "

JAY
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I could probably dispose of my cable and do it all with Apple TV.

Been there, tried that. Didn't work for me. Most of the "channels" on the Apple TV require a activation code. Which you can only get by having a subscription to cable. You do get the abilities such as streaming from other Apple devices and such, but all you get with the TV portion of it is the ability to watch shows on demand, if you have a cable subscription. Very few of the channels let you watch much of anything without a subscription of some sort. So, when I did away with my cable, I got an HD antenna for local stations, and got an Apple TV. I have hardly used the Apple TV at all. Occasionally for streaming from my phone and I've used Netflix on it a few times, but my Bluray player and TV have Netflix on them already.

Last week I got a 60" 4K TV and a new subscription to Direct TV. I have not messed with the Apple TV much yet to try the subscription channels on it and see what I can get on it.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    What you can do with it is dependent on two things, mainly: 1) How fast your internet connection is, and 2) What streaming services you subscribe to. You can get cable news and other cable channels, and a limited amount of network tv (based on where you live). I have Netflix, Hulu, and PlayStation Vue.

I use Netflix for movies & TV shows - it's great for that, but you can't watch live TV or any current season of any show unless it's a Netflix original show

I use Hulu for movies & TV shows - also great for both, but you can also watch current seasons of certain network shows (like 24, Chicago PD, Law & Order SVU, and others). The best thing about watching shows on Hulu is that they skip the commercials for you.

I use PlayStation Vue for TV shows & live TV - in my area, I get a lot of cable channels that I can watch live (CBS, USA network, TNT, Velocity, AMC), and they provide a DVR service where I can have them automatically record shows for me so I can watch them later. I can watch the same stuff using On Demand, but if I use their DVR, I can fast forward through the commercials.

There's a bunch of services out there; you'll have to pick which one works best for you, but IMO, all of them are better than cable (Comcast, Cox, etc) because they're less expensive and I can watch when it's convenient for me without using a DVR

BTW, if at all possible, try to use an HD antenna for local channels, if they're not available to you through a streaming service. Totally free.
    wambli ska wrote:
    I prefer Apple TV because it fits my ecosystem at home. I get all the smart TV apps PLUS I can stream videos from my iPhone, iPads, use it for FaceTime sessions with the kids and do like shows of pictures. If you have Apple devices it's a great addition. I could probably dispose of my cable and do it all with Apple TV.

Right now I have DSL through the phone lines and DISH for satellite reception. I subscribe to Netflix and get it through the TV. I don't know what my download speed is but it's not the highest I can get, but I could pay for higher data speeds if I wanted to. I used to use Apple TV for Netflix, but the movies more often than not would stop playing and be interrupted by a spinning wheel with a notice that the thing was "Buffering." I assume that was because my data rate wasn't fast enough to have uninterrupted viewing. I'm guessing that having Firesticks would save me some money in the long run on movies, but would be a minor PITA to get the other stuff I want to watch. Thanks for the replies.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I can probably get by with Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu and wouldn't ever have the time to watch all the stuff I have on my list that I want to get to. The only issue is Amazon Prime app is not on Apple TV (last I checked) but I can get to it on my iPad and stream it on to the TV from it, works just fine...

AppleTV does not have Amazon Prime, otherwise it would be my favorite. Rock solid performance.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    Right now I have DSL through the phone lines and DISH for satellite reception. I subscribe to Netflix and get it through the TV. I don't know what my download speed is but it's not the highest I can get, but I could pay for higher data speeds if I wanted to. I used to use Apple TV for Netflix, but the movies more often than not would stop playing and be interrupted by a spinning wheel with a notice that the thing was "Buffering." I assume that was because my data rate wasn't fast enough to have uninterrupted viewing. I'm guessing that having Firesticks would save me some money in the long run on movies, but would be a minor PITA to get the other stuff I want to watch. Thanks for the replies.

I also have DSL internet, but I use Direct TV. No other internet or TV options available where I live. Dish and I don't get along. I've had the same issue with buffering trying to use Netflix on my Apple TV. But I don't have the problem when I use Netflix on my Bluray player and didn't have that problem with Netflix on my old TV. Haven't tried it yet on the new TV. Not sure why, but that only happened with the Apple TV.

I've had the Apple cool aid. I have an iPad, iPhone and still use my old iPhone and iPod Touch for some things. I just have never been able to get anything out of that Apple TV since I got it. The only thing that's kinda cool is streaming from my devices to the TV.