Packing and moving sucks and has gotten stressful...just shoot me!

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,254 Senior Member
I have been off line for the last week since we sold the house. A business trip to Cleveland has allowed me to get on line and catch up on things. By the way packing "SUCKS"! The home inspection was stressful. I had a new roof put on last summer after a big hail storm. We got pounded by the worst hail storm I've ever seen three weeks ago with baseball size hail. I was hoping the new roof would have held up...I was wrong! Looks like I'm going to need a new roof. Insurance adjuster is coming out on Friday to asses the damage. This leaves me two weeks to get it repaired or replaced before settlement. The problem is there was so much roof damage in the north Texas region that the roofers are backed up for weeks. I'm sure we'll get it figured out!

The wife and I worked our rear ends off Friday and Sat. Got my closet, dresser cleaned out and spent yesterday cleaning out the attic and garage. Note to the younger generation out here, purge your house of stuff you'll never use every three to five years! Don't wait over twenty years to get it done in less than a few weeks! The wife got the kitchen and pantry cleaned out and kids came by and got the stuff they wanted. We made a big dent this weekend! Still have a lot to do before closing and movers come but there's light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm done whining now...until next weekend!

Thank goodness for business trips!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Label the boxes on the side, not the top.
    Keep all the tools readily accessible.
    You're never gonna use those VHS cassettes.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,170 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Label the boxes on the side, not the top.
    Keep all the tools readily accessible.

This.

Did it 15 months ago. I now have unpacked boxes that used to be in the basement that are still unpacked, but they're now in the attic.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,876 Senior Member
    The beauty of military life is that we are forced to review our stuff every 3-5 years no matter what because of ordered moves. You learn to part with non-essentials and clutter really quick when you have to dig through all of it on the other end.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,026 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I have been off line for the last week since we sold the house. A business trip to Cleveland has allowed me to get on line and catch up on things. By the way packing "SUCKS"! The home inspection was stressful. I had a new roof put on last summer after a big hail storm. We got pounded by the worst hail storm I've ever seen three weeks ago with baseball size hail. I was hoping the new roof would have held up...I was wrong! Looks like I'm going to need a new roof. Insurance adjuster is coming out on Friday to asses the damage. This leaves me two weeks to get it repaired or replaced before settlement. The problem is there was so much roof damage in the north Texas region that the roofers are backed up for weeks. I'm sure we'll get it figured out!

The wife and I worked our rear ends off Friday and Sat. Got my closet, dresser cleaned out and spent yesterday cleaning out the attic and garage. Note to the younger generation out here, purge your house of stuff you'll never use every three to five years! Don't wait over twenty years to get it done in less than a few weeks! The wife got the kitchen and pantry cleaned out and kids came by and got the stuff they wanted. We made a big dent this weekend! Still have a lot to do before closing and movers come but there's light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm done whining now...until next weekend!

Thank goodness for business trips!

Have not done it in 20 years, Would like the opportunity to in another 10...tops. Sans roof damage issues of course.

Hang in there sir. It's just a means to an end.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    early wrote: »

Well, I guess that all depends on the content of said VHS tapes, especially if they came from behind the little curtained room of the local Video store.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    We moved to the farm in 1983, with a big barn and 100 acres to hide the clutter- - - - -if we had to move now, I think I'd use a couple of gallons of gas and a match, and start over from scratch!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,119 Senior Member
    I don't for the life of me know why people want to move. My parents were the poster folks of moving. I think we moved 12 times that I know of. I hated it with a passion. Nowadays I've been in this old house going strong on 12 years and have no plans to move. We painted it when we moved in. If I get tired of it I paint it or buy a couple pieces of different furniture (Notice I didn't say NEW Furniture, just different).
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.