Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

"Politics makes strange bed fellows" .... the old saying goes..

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
Folks who run for election or re-election want as much good publicity as they can get, we all know that. I don't think that Ashley Madison.com is what any politician or hopefull wants....Last week the website posted a billboard of Newt Gingrich, and it was in reference to his two marriages that ended in divorce due to his admitted infidelities. Gingrich spokesman R. C.Hammond had no comment on the ad.
I have two discussion points I would like to make here in reference to this Ashley Madison ordeal.

1. When a person decides to run for public office, be it local,state, or Federal, it doesn't matter if your personal past history is 100% clean, or 100% dirt bag,between the media, friends, relatives, past high school friends, college friends someone somewhere is going to give you up. One should expect their lifes to be scruntinized as much as possible.

2. Too much personal scrunity from the media, can cause what might be a good presidential hopefull or any candidate to drop out,case in point Herman Cain. And I am sure there were others in the past, and will be in the future.

The last paragraph in this article said that Ashley Madison offered Republican presidential ex-candidate Herman Cain a job offer at the company and a 400,000 dollar a year paycheck to be a brand ambassador of sorts. This reminds me of the "Peter Principle":

A person who excels at his position is often rewarded with a higher position, eventually one that exceeds the employee's field of expertise. This is called the Peter Principle, an observation put forth in the late 1960s by Dr. Laurence J. Peter, a psychologist and professor of education.

I have said this before and I will say it again and again, I don't care where a political "shoves their show", as long as they do what they say they will do, when they get elected, and do what is right and good for the USA and the American people.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/22/9636470-strange-bedfellows-gingrich-and-ashleymadisoncom

In conclusion I think I know how most of us feel about the modern day media, and how they cover the so called news, and current events. Personally I am tired of the media destroying the character of individuals they are covering stories about,and I feel the American voter has had it up to their eyebrows with it too. What we want to see as far as media coverage about political candidates, is what are you going to do for us, how are you going to fix the economy,jobs,spending entitlement programs and etc. The media needs to stop browbeating the past on these folks and let it go! The past is the past. Just because some political hopefuls have a few bad blimishes on their record or made some bad or inept decissions in the past,(in regard to their personal decissions) doesn't make them unquailifed for public office(with the exception of Barrak Odummy),he didn't have any past record to report on of any way shape or form. Not only that there is always an exception to the rule.I guess the media has determined that if a Presidential hopefull has a shady past or has engaged in immoral activity, then that automatically questions the integrity and intellect. What I would like to see is the media ask for the past voting records for these candidates, make that public and let the candidates, answer to that,and explain why and how they did or didnot vote the way the people thought was best. Of course that would be hard to do if a candidate never held public office before, like Herman Cain.
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    That's fantasy land, this here crap is the real world.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    But Robert, in my mind Herman Cain's best point was he had never held office. He had fresh ideas and above all he had experience running big business. He had all the qualities I want in a president. And I don't believe any of the crap they had slung about him. It was too much of a coincedence of it all coming to a head at once after all those years.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    But Robert, in my mind Herman Cain's best point was he had never held office. He had fresh ideas and above all he had experience running big business. He had all the qualities I want in a president. And I don't believe any of the crap they had slung about him. It was too much of a coincedence of it all coming to a head at once after all those years.

Right Snake and I will agree with ya!!!!! My point being is this: It doesn't matter who you are or what you are, what one has or has not done in the past, when one decides to run for the POTUS or any other office, the media will find something,somewhere somehow on ya. If a person is very very clean, or very very shady in the past, the media will seek it out pursue it hound ya,constantly report on it etc. etc. etc. In Herman's Cain's case, if one doesn't have political experience, the media and others can't report on his voting record, but they could have reported on how he became successful, what methods he used, what are your plans for our country, etc. Like I said in the above post and I have said on other post I don't care where a politician shoves their show, as long as they do what they say their going to do after they are elected. Many Many moons ago when I was young and dumb, I had a propensity to believe the media. Over the years now that I have become older and wiser, and uglier hahhaahhahh, I know better. I have come to the point many years ago that one can only believe about 2% of whats being reported be it TV new, paper or internet, etc.
    BTW Snake I too had every intension of voting for Cain too, had he won the nominee.
    "It is what it is":usa: