Home Main Category General Firearms

Range report for Torden and the 1885.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 7,208 Senior Member
First "Torden" the GP100 44 special.

15 yards single action. The hole was point of aim. I shot 120 rounds today throu it and a fist sized group was pretty common at 25 yards. I kept a 4" steel plate ringing. One thing though. I ran the same reloads I have for the 5.5" flat top Blackhawk, but they didn't work as well in the GP. They were accurate enough but they were extreamly dirty and left a lot of unburnt powder on the table. They are clean and burn clean in the flat top. So I might have to come up with a new 44 special load for the GP to account for the 3" barrel. Recoil was not even a real concern, it was a powderpuff. I really love shooting this gun.

Now for the 1885 45-70 traditional hunter.

There are 5 rounds fired at 100 yards pictured here. My point of aim was the black line at the top of the photo. There is a target just out of frame. The load is a 405 grain cast bullet going 1400 fps, more than enough for whatever need shot. I put about 40 rounds through it today and after a while the crescent but plate will start working on you. That said it is not bad to shoot. If you pay attention and focus on fundamentals all is good, get sloppy you will pay! Trust me. I'm going to hunt with this rifle.
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, thar ya go!

Both are winners :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Don't shoot that crescent butt plate from prone. Trust me.

Good shooting.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,208 Senior Member
    I was using loads with 800x that seemed to be position sensative. If I tilted the gun up it seemed to have less unburnt powder. So I think I may use some Titegroup for the next batch.
    Don't shoot that crescent butt plate from prone. Trust me.

Good shooting.
    Collar bone get a wake up call did it?
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, thar ya go!

Both are winners :guns: :guns:
    Thanks!
    I like Unique and then Titegroup in .44 Spl.

6.0 to 7.0 Unique pushing a 240 grainer makes a pleasant and accurate load for me and my 624s.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I like Unique and then Titegroup in .44 Spl.

6.0 to 7.0 Unique pushing a 240 grainer makes a pleasant and accurate load for me and my 624s.
    Hmmmmm, Unique you say. I just may have some laying around.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That Winchester is a laser!

Maybe use a faster powder for the belly gun if the dirt bugs ya.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,658 Senior Member
    Dang, thats some good grouping.

Now I want a 4-6" .44 special. Would feel like cheating to shoot .44 special from my 8.375" 629.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    That's what you want right there!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,388 Senior Member
    BIG HOLES!!:cool2::up:
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Collar bone get a wake up call did it?

Pretty much the entire shoulder region but the collar bone took the brunt. Being more stubborn than smart I took a second shot. That was enough, I figured out a rest where I could kneel.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,501 Senior Member
    That's good shooting, right there.

As for the crescent buttplate, live with it. But there is a solution for free. There's a TV offer that may help; it says American males' testosterone levels have been dropping for decades. They offer a free sample.

Time to man up and feel the pain of our ancestors. :)
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    That's good shooting, right there.

As for the crescent buttplate, live with it. But there is a solution for free. There's a TV offer that may help; it says American males' testosterone levels have been dropping for decades. They offer a free sample.

Time to man up and feel the pain of our ancestors. :)
    :spittingcoffee::roll2:I laughed out loud!!!! Oh course most guys shooting big bore rifles with crescent butt plates weren't shooting 40 rounds at a whack. Ammo was stupid expensive back then. The only exception being Buffalo hunters, and they were made of leather and iron......oh and by the way, I am going to live with it.....:tooth:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,574 Senior Member
    That GP100 performs just as I was hoping it would. Great shooting!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    That GP100 performs just as I was hoping it would. Great shooting!
    Thanks it is so fun to shoot!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Nice handgun target Riggs. Was that on purpose :tooth:
    Sadly no, I wish I could say yes!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,501 Senior Member
    The GP100 is the best designed revolver I know of. It feels good in the hand and the grip is perfect. In that caliber it should be a dreamboat to shoot.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Sadly no, I wish I could say yes!

This is the internet, you can say any damn thing you please.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,054 Senior Member
    The issues with "burning clean" is science I haven't delved too deeply into yet, but a faster-burning fuel would seem indicated.

One of the potentially related topics I'm trying to learn more about is the relationship of cylinder throat diameter to bore diameter in .44's. All the jacketed bullets are .429", and the groove diameter on the bores is usually right on that. That would tend to dictate a .429-.430" throat The one S&W I've had opportunity to measure may have been right at .429", but all I could get through it was a .428" pin gauge. So basically, really tight, and it had a tendency to lead - probably more due to a roughly 0.000?" bit of frame crush at the back of the barrel that will be lapped out once the cylinder gets back from being reamed to .432" to match the rest of the collection. The Rugers (both SA and DA) I have checked are all somewhere above .432" and below .433", and there's no shortage of molds out there set to drop bullets at that.

How much that throat fit plays into completeness of burn I can only guess at. One trick Veral Smith (LBT Molds, author of Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets - well worth reading) mentions is to work up a load with a heavy bullet seated deep on top of a lightish charge of a fast burning powder. Good for reduction of noise and should be really effective at getting the powder burned consistently.

One of my most fun episodes I can recall with a handgun was to shoot the 255 grain Lyman 429244 (basically Keith's SWC bullet with a gas check) out of a Smith Mountain Gun at a creepy 750 FPS. Recoil was pretty much nonexistent, but there was still ample momentum to turn softball and soccer ball sized chunks of rotten granite into crumbs. Recently picked up a 280 grain WFN mold with a 260 grain hollowpoint option that I plan to play the same concept with. It's a HIGHLY addictive, schoolgirl-giggle-inducing combo for a gun like yours - having the magnum impact without the kick.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Here ya go.

This months handloader pet loads 44spl.
    I got loads with Unique, 700X, IMR Trail Boss etc.
    Factory ammo from Speer with 200gr GDHP's, Remington 200gr lswc's, Black Hills, and HSM.
    Great cartridge!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.