Home Main Category Clubhouse

What a day.. .sheesh!

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
So...

I have been trying to sell my boat and a prospect scheduled a look over today.

I spent the morning gathering things, and making sure it ran well.

I needed to add some 2 stroke oil to the gasoline, so I ran to West Marine and got some for $32.00 a gallon!!!

On my way home about 100 yard from my driveway I have a sidewall blowout of my van driver rear wheel. blam! blub blub blub... into the driveway and the tire is absolutely ruined. Lucky I bought the road hazards from Sears...

Premixed gas and oil and added it to the tank, went to start it and no joy. Water had settled in the bottom of the tank!!!!! So, I start the process of draining it, and the prospect shows up. He's understanding and looks the boat over but after not getting it to start he takes off and tells me to "call him when I get it started... " Lost him! nuts!!! I proceed to drain 3 gallons of H2O from the 56 gallon tank, but I get to fuel and it still will not start. And now the battery has been drained so I have to remove it to charge it safely away from the fuel.

So I change the Van spare in the 88 degree sun and heat in the driveway. Fortunately I have a great jack and air hammer, off comes the tire. On goes the spare, nut one, two , three four, and then 5 is somehow either cross threaded of locked up tight. I hand started the threads and then tried to tighten it and now I cannot take it off or put it on. Odd one. So with four bolts on the wheel I drive it over to Sears...

Sears rep, " Sir your road hazard was for four years, and it expired two days ago.... WHA!?!?!?!? Sure enough I bought them April 27, 2013, and they are a 70,000 mile tire with less than 4000 miles on them. I had to get the manager involved, so I received a $60 credit toward the new tire.... but they don't have one of these in stock, it has to come from another store, Monday..

And so I have to go back, again and spend $86 to replace a stinkin defective tire I bought road hazard for!!!

So home again, done in by the heat and sun, I rested an hour.

I decided to try the boat again. I removed the cowl, and removed the carb bowl screws and drained them and sure enough water had been pushed through the fuel line into the carbs, all six of them. After pumping fresh fuel out and then putting the drain plugs bag in... joy... It starts and runs like a champ.

Frustrated.... with a little whip cream on top.

48DDCBE0-8373-45F4-9D90-89D989563BA9_zpscd1yzxzg.jpg

D1647F38-CB3C-418E-BD27-D4EBA651CBFF_zpspl5gkld1.jpg

[video]http://vid1284.photobucket.com/albums/a561/Daniel_Scipione/F53AC66E-5115-42C6-87E6-069496CB4FF0_zpsa746wase.mp4[/video]

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Yeah yeah
    boats
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    The two happiest days of a boat owner's life...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member
    Hate it all happened. But, I'm secretly relieved to know I'm not the only that has stuff like that happen to them. That seems to be my life's story
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that, we all have had days like that when nothing goes right, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Who was the former (?) member who had:

'Some days you are the bug and some days you are the windshield'

in his sig line?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,372 Senior Member
    Bust Out Another Thousand:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    The joys of boat ownership, financed plenty a new guns on repairs.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    I never bought road hazard insurance in my life and never recommended it to customers even when I was supposed to... but I don't recall there being an expiration date on the coverage. Is that standard now? How much did it cost?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    I never bought road hazard insurance in my life and never recommended it to customers even when I was supposed to... but I don't recall there being an expiration date on the coverage. Is that standard now? How much did it cost?

Four tires $45.00 and it is declining coverage as well... I won't do that again!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That tire deal is BS on Sears part. The shop I get my tires from take care of their customers no matter what. I've seen it eveytime I go there. Go to a better shop.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Four tires $45.00 and it is declining coverage as well... I won't do that again!

D

Yeah, as far as I know the coverage was always pro rated for wear. Basically, it keeps folks from running the tires down to nothing, then 'accidentally' running over something to get a free set of new tires, but I don't recall ever hearing about a time limit. It may have been there, but I missed it somehow... I dunno.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If you had 3 gallons of water in a 56 gallon gas tank on the boat, you need to look for the water inleakage path, like maybe a dried out cracked, dessicated, mummified gas fill cap gasket. And if that isn't it, then look at the tank innie and outie connections. If you don't fix it, then it's gonna happen again.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    BigDanS wrote: »

D
    early wrote: »
    That tire deal is BS on Sears part. The shop I get my tires from take care of their customers no matter what. I've seen it every-time I go there. Go to a better shop.

WORD. Sears went to Hell in the late 70s, both my wife and I were raised in "Sears Households". We stopped shopping there many years ago.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Last week i had to replace a tire due to tread separation, bought the tires at the local mom and pop tire store, they pro rated it at 50% wear, cost me $45.00 for a new tire that originally cost $155.00. I have never had a road hazard insurance.

One thing i learned working at a auto repair shop is when you buy tires check the manufacture date and dont accept any that were made more than 6 months before you get them, I have ordered 4 new tires from the distributor that had 4 different dates on them, some have been sitting at the wearhouse for 3 or 4 years.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Well it just is that kind of weekend...

This morning the lawn tractor deck belt came off the pulleys. After 10 minutes of futzin' I put it back togather, and it promptly broke apart 5 minutes later. At least I got the front yard done for today's open house.

I don't know if I should be unhappy it broke, or happy I can fix it and I have a spare...

D
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    That sucks! I bought a new Dodge Dakota truck in 2005 with 4 year financing. At the time I purchased an additional 4 year extended warranty from Daimler-Chrysler. I had very few warranty issues the entire 8 years I owned the truck. 1 month after the extended warranty expired the condenser unit for the air conditioning crapped out and I was stuck with the $1300 repair bill.

:vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    And to add to it....

The realtor held an open house today, so I vacated the premesis and he locked up everything and left before I had returned home. I came into the house at 3 pm, checked all the door were locked and took a 1 hour nap. :zzzz:

At 4:30 pm the dog needed to go out, so, I unlocked the door and took him out. The door went click and I felt the handle would not turn... nuts! The realtor had also locked the handle lock, which I never do, and upon closing the door, I had locked myself out!!! I know the house it pretty much burglar proof, because I did the reinforcements. And, oh joy, no cell phone in my pocket either!!! :angry:

So I tried two neighbors before I found one home and called my realtor to come with the spare keys. After about 20 minutes, yep, it starts to rain. Another 25 minutes, and the Realtor is here, and I make my apologies and graitudes and get in the house.

I am glad this weekend is over. :bang:

D