Home Main Category General Firearms

TVM .50 cal Early Lancaster flintlock is here!

13»

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Thank you very much for looking. These things are just absurdly tough to match to a genuine hard-side rifle case.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    You won't go wrong with 3f. Play around with .016 and .018 DENIM PATCHES DRY LUBED like we talked about. You can get denim at the fabric shop, half a yard of each 'till you find what you need. Take your hand-mich to measure thickness----all the Ladies there will wonder what the hell you're up to!
  • Red HorseRed Horse Member Posts: 96 Member
    First -- you suck!!!
    Second -- the silver oak leaf has been the traditional rank symbol for a Lieutenant Colonel since the dawn of (American) time.
    I agree that the acorn looks fine. For those of us not gifted with the Air Force's ability to infer things, the "leaf" would have been a nice "in your face" touch.
    Will your current a/c have sufficient hard points for this or will it have to go in your bug out/bail out bag?

Regardless -- damn nice smoke pole!!!!!!!!!!!
    zu Gleich

"Better is the enemy of Good"
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Nice and it's reasonably priced! I figured that if one existed, it would cost way more than that. As it goes, that's about how much my SKB airline case cost.
    Red Horse wrote: »
    First -- you suck!!!
    Second -- the silver oak leaf has been the traditional rank symbol for a Lieutenant Colonel since the dawn of (American) time.
    I agree that the acorn looks fine. For those of us not gifted with the Air Force's ability to infer things, the "leaf" would have been a nice "in your face" touch.
    Will your current a/c have sufficient hard points for this or will it have to go in your bug out/bail out bag?

Regardless -- damn nice smoke pole!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Red Horse! I would love to see the ammo man's face if this showed up in the small arms case after mission.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,208 Senior Member
    Is there at carpentry shop on your base? Can they build you a plywood box with a piano hinge lid that you can line with egg crate foam?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    You won't go wrong with 3f. Play around with .016 and .018 DENIM PATCHES DRY LUBED like we talked about. You can get denim at the fabric shop, half a yard of each 'till you find what you need. Take your hand-mich to measure thickness----all the Ladies there will wonder what the hell you're up to!

Yes, I have a good bit on denim in various thickness up to and over .20 (thought that would probably be a bit too thick). Next time out, I'll be trying some of that heavier stuff, for sure.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,576 Senior Member
    That's unspeakably beautiful.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Thanks, Jason! The crazy thing is, I found out after the fact that there are even higher wood grades available through TVM that aren't directly advertised because they don't always have it available. For a significant premium, you can get a piece of presentation grade wood. It'll cost you additional $500 before a chisel has even been laid to it, but damn is it pretty...
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Is there at carpentry shop on your base? Can they build you a plywood box with a piano hinge lid that you can line with egg crate foam?

This base doesn't have a wood hobby shop, but my next base will. I should be fine moving it on my own in my truck in a soft case. It will be a different story if I fly with it somewhere.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Very high grade stocks for classic flintlocks are carefully chosen from the standing tree which can be Sugar Maple, Red Maple, one of the Ash species, Cherry and/or Walnut and maybe a couple of other species on occasions. (If you want the binomial nomenclature for these I'll give it to you, otherwise I'll shut up not wanting to sound like a "sexual intellectual" :wink:). As a broad rule during the Colonial-early National Period- the Maples were initially the chosen species, but as time went by and top quality Maples became less available, Walnut and Ash were chosen. Cherry was primarily a New England used species, though you will find originals down through New York and Pennsylvania with Cherry stocks.

Selecting top quality stocks from standing trees is an art, and we in the hobby of flintlocks recently lost probably the best qualified person to do this....Freddy Harrison, from the western part of Tennessee. Freddy would carefully study a standing tree, and when he selected what he wanted, he would take a shovel and dig down about 2 feet below the dirt line and saw the tree down below the first root collar. When the butt-cut log was then sawn on his little Wood-Miser Mill, the grain of the wood would curve down through the wrist of the stock. A "flat-sawn curved down through the wrist" stock was significantly stronger through the wrist--the weakest part of a gunstock--and the force of loading a muzzleloader was compensated for.

The "Tiger Striping" that you see in high quality stocks, such as what Luis has, is actually food material stored in what's called "Storied Rey Cells". No need to go into all the technical stuff on this, however! But if you want a really top-of-the-line stock for a flintlock, be ready to get up off your wallet to the tune of 12-15 hundred bucks!

I'll bring my little .32cal squirrel rifle and 2-3 more of my pieces up to Jerry's at the end of the month and we can talk about stocks then if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Luis, you can buy a case especially designed for long flintlocks that have a locking system that the air line folks will accept for shipment. I don't have one--wish I did--but I can tell you who to contact if you want one...about $300.00 I think! Remember, with flintlocks and other pre-1898 firearms, no special permits etc needed to ship via public transportation.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Just wow... a family heirloom for centuries.

Well done!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Thanks, Dan! I hope this one stays in the family forever.
    Very high grade stocks for classic flintlocks are carefully chosen from the standing tree which can be Sugar Maple, Red Maple, one of the Ash species, Cherry and/or Walnut and maybe a couple of other species on occasions. (If you want the binomial nomenclature for these I'll give it to you, otherwise I'll shut up not wanting to sound like a "sexual intellectual" :wink:). As a broad rule during the Colonial-early National Period- the Maples were initially the chosen species, but as time went by and top quality Maples became less available, Walnut and Ash were chosen. Cherry was primarily a New England used species, though you will find originals down through New York and Pennsylvania with Cherry stocks.

Selecting top quality stocks from standing trees is an art, and we in the hobby of flintlocks recently lost probably the best qualified person to do this....Freddy Harrison, from the western part of Tennessee. Freddy would carefully study a standing tree, and when he selected what he wanted, he would take a shovel and dig down about 2 feet below the dirt line and saw the tree down below the first root collar. When the butt-cut log was then sawn on his little Wood-Miser Mill, the grain of the wood would curve down through the wrist of the stock. A "flat-sawn curved down through the wrist" stock was significantly stronger through the wrist--the weakest part of a gunstock--and the force of loading a muzzleloader was compensated for.

The "Tiger Striping" that you see in high quality stocks, such as what Luis has, is actually food material stored in what's called "Storied Rey Cells". No need to go into all the technical stuff on this, however! But if you want a really top-of-the-line stock for a flintlock, be ready to get up off your wallet to the tune of 12-15 hundred bucks!

I'll bring my little .32cal squirrel rifle and 2-3 more of my pieces up to Jerry's at the end of the month and we can talk about stocks then if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Luis, you can buy a case especially designed for long flintlocks that have a locking system that the air line folks will accept for shipment. I don't have one--wish I did--but I can tell you who to contact if you want one...about $300.00 I think! Remember, with flintlocks and other pre-1898 firearms, no special permits etc needed to ship via public transportation.

Fantastic info as always, Rich ! Wow! Thank you!

By the way, I called TVM and they gave me some info on a couple of thing:

1) The maple wood used in their builds is actually picked by a gentleman in Ohio from trees up here.

2) The said they use on the wood is actually a leather stain as opposed to a traditional wood stain.