Home Main Category Clubhouse

Looking for a new or new(er) vehicle.

2»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I don't know anything about Kias, so I can't offer any input there. However, we like our Honda CR-V very well. It's a 2012 year model, and we bought it new. It has about 86k miles on it, and still runs well. It's a big under powered, usually felt when accelerating at hiway speeds. Other than that, no complaints.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the new cars require synthetic oil or a synthetic blend. If you take it to Jiffy Lube or some place similar, they charge about $80 for an oil and filter change. We learned that the local Honda dealership uses a synthetic blend, and that alone cuts the cost in half. Also, our car has an indicator that tells you when to change oil (15% oil life left). It usually happens every 5k-6k miles.

Good luck.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My Outback rear seats fold down and I have put 20 big bags of cedar mulch in it before. Plenty of room for guns and ammo too and about anything else I will ever need to tote around...............for my purposes it is good enough. Gets good gas mileage too. Easy to get in and outta, don't have to "Fall" into it climb out like that 2000 Saturn SL we had.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I wish I would have gotten a rear view camera, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    The one feature that really sold Debbie on the Subaru is the all wheel drive. Our driveway is a 600 foot long sand road and it gets pretty loose when it hasn't rained in a while. Even sitting at the gate waiting for it to open, we get a little wheelspin taking off. The best test of street vehicle traction is to stop in really loose sand and take off again and even I was impressed with the Subaru hooking up with taking off with minimal wheelspin.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    The one feature that really sold Debbie on the Subaru is the all wheel drive. Our driveway is a 600 foot long sand road and it gets pretty loose when it hasn't rained in a while. Even sitting at the gate waiting for it to open, we get a little wheelspin taking off. The best test of street vehicle traction is to stop in really loose sand and take off again and even I was impressed with the Subaru hooking up with taking off with minimal wheelspin.

Our CR-V has all wheel drive and traction control. I agree that it's a very nice feature to have, especially when driving on wet or snowy surfaces. It also has a rear view camera, which can be nice. The only problem is when driving on wet, muddy or otherwise slushy roads. The lenses on the camera get covered with whatever it picks up from the road, and the camera is basically useless until you clean it off.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.