Home Main Category Clubhouse

Wine Connoisseurs Step Inside

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 16,244 Senior Member
As some of you may know, I make my annual Bum Wine. While that venture is very successful, the brand appeals to a higher class market and I want to develop something a little more less elite. Being spring, I did a little bit of spring cleaning out of the refrigerators, freezers, and pantry. What I came up with is...

32oz Frostie Cherry Limeaide
2 liters Faygo Grape Soda
1 liter Canada Dry Gingerale
1 liter Faygo Orange Soda
1.75 liters Faygo Red Pop
2 quarts of blueberry applesauce
1 pint of berry jam
3.5 pints rhubarb jam
1 pint blackberry jam
8.5 oz Amoretti Blood Orange Puree
11 oz guanabana nector
8 oz cherry concentrate
53 oz canned peaches
6 oz blueberry pancake syrup
24 oz V8 Fusion-- blueberry pomegranate
4 oz dried apricots
5 oz dried currants
16 oz raisins
3 oz dried blueberries
3 cans of pineapple
2 lbs of frozen blackberries
1 lb frozen raspberries
4 lbs frozen cherries
16 oz Jelly Belly Berry Blue Syrup
16 oz Jelly Belly Very Cherry Syrup
6 oz dry grape Koolaid mix
1 pineapple
1 small watermelon
2 lbs honey
7 apples
6.5 oranges
1 can grape juice concentrate
1 can apple juice concentrate
1 can blueberries in syrup
1 can blueberry pie filling
1 liter margarita mix
3 limes
32 oz simple syrup
6 oz lemon juice
12 lbs sugar

My question is, do you feel this will go better with veal, chicken, lamb, beef, or pork?
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
-Thomas Paine

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    Vienna sausages.............
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I am using a food grade hdpe trash can for a fermenter. After adding water, I got about 15 gallons of wine going. That should yield about 12 gallons (or 60 bottles) of wine. The specific gravity at start is 1.10 and should ferment out somewhere to about 12-13% alcohol. Going against prison hooch tradition, I decided to use Lavlin K1-V1116 wine yeast as opposed to inoculating it will my ball sack. It should give a cleaner ferment that way.

A taste of the juice has a strong citrus/watermelon flavor coming through. It should make a relatively light, (to Bum Wine) refreshing wine that can be enjoyed this summer.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am using a food grade hdpe trash can for a fermenter. After adding water, I got about 15 gallons of wine going. That should yield about 12 gallons (or 60 bottles) of wine. The specific gravity at start is 1.10 and should ferment out somewhere to about 12-13% alcohol. Going against prison hooch tradition, I decided to use Lavlin K1-V1116 wine yeast as opposed to inoculating it will my ball sack. It should give a cleaner ferment that way.

A taste of the juice has a strong citrus/watermelon flavor coming through. It should make a relatively light, (to Bum Wine) refreshing wine that can be enjoyed this summer.

Good. Wine should be sweet, not salty......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    32oz Frostie Cherry Limeaide
    2 liters Faygo Grape Soda
    1 liter Canada Dry Gingerale
    1 liter Faygo Orange Soda
    1.75 liters Faygo Red Pop
    2 quarts of blueberry applesauce
    1 pint of berry jam
    3.5 pints rhubarb jam
    1 pint blackberry jam
    8.5 oz Amoretti Blood Orange Puree
    11 oz guanabana nector
    8 oz cherry concentrate
    53 oz canned peaches
    6 oz blueberry pancake syrup
    24 oz V8 Fusion-- blueberry pomegranate
    4 oz dried apricots
    5 oz dried currants
    16 oz raisins
    3 oz dried blueberries
    3 cans of pineapple
    2 lbs of frozen blackberries
    1 lb frozen raspberries
    4 lbs frozen cherries
    16 oz Jelly Belly Berry Blue Syrup
    16 oz Jelly Belly Very Cherry Syrup
    6 oz dry grape Koolaid mix
    1 pineapple
    1 small watermelon
    2 lbs honey
    7 apples
    6.5 oranges
    1 can grape juice concentrate
    1 can apple juice concentrate
    1 can blueberries in syrup
    1 can blueberry pie filling
    1 liter margarita mix
    3 limes
    32 oz simple syrup
    6 oz lemon juice
    12 lbs sugar
    Oh, and I just added about a liter of sangria I had sitting around-- the sugars will get fermented by the yeast and the alcohol will give me more wine. I stopped drinking sweet wines when I went low carb so I don't drink sangria anymore.

Photos.... The yeast starter culture is finally rocking and rolling and ready to get pitched into their new home. The other one is my "fermenter". Now it is just a matter of waiting.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Sounds like an eclectic mix! I wouldn't mind a taste of the finished product! One thing I know for sure, it HAS to be better than that bacon flavored vodka! :vomit::roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,501 Senior Member
    Sounds brown paper bag worthy!! I'm sure I've had worse!!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    ANYTHING with alcohol in it is better than that stuff! Vile, evil, mean and nasty!
    :vomit:
    Jerry
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    What? You don't use the toilet bowl?
    Heavens no. Then the dogs would drink it!
    -Thomas Paine
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Vienna sausages.............
    A man of taste I see. That would make a nice pairing.
    -Thomas Paine
    A man of taste I see. That would make a nice pairing.

Add a bag of Funyuns and your set for the night............
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    [IMG][/img]wino_zpsk0xkk64p.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    Roast unicorn?
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    What? You don't use the toilet bowl?

You can only make a gallon at a time that way. Gotta be in a 1 gallon ziplock bag to fit inside the tank. You can ask me how I know that, and I won't tell you. My standards may be low, but I DO have standards. :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    I went ahead and grabbed another watermelon today and plan to add it to the must. It gave the juice a good flavor so I may as well run with it. Watermelon with citrus undertones should make a tasty hooch!
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

If you use Sherry or Champaign yeast you can go up to 18% before the alcohol kills the yeast. Sherry and Champaign yeast are two of the most alcohol tolerant yeast there are, except whatever it is Sam Adams Brewery uses for that Utopia beer they make which is way out of the normal fermentation ball park at about 26%. It's the most I've ever heard any yeast fermenting something to alcohol. But it took them many years to get the yeast to that point.

I used to make a high alcohol wine similar to MD 20-20 except MD 20-20 is not fermented to 18% strength, When it first came out it was a solid 20% but not due being fermented to that level.

I don't start out with a high Spec Grav. I start off at about 1.1, , starting with no more than 6 pounds of sugar to the grape juice (Must) the first time. Sometimes you can shock fermentation if you start with too high a spec grav. Then I let that cook down (Ferment) till the activity drops to nothing evident no bubbling and going through the air lock at all, and Spec Grav stops dropping. Then I add 2 pounds or maybe one pound more sugar, and let er eat. I keep adding like that up until I've added about 9 pounds to 5 gallons. Then I start trickling the sugar in about a half or 1/4 cup at a time, until I hit around 10 pounds total added sugar or activity slows way down (Spec Grav stops dropping) when sugar is added. At 10 pounds sugar in five gallons liguid. you're close to 18% Alcohol by volume, depending on the original spec grav of the juice before any added sugar goes in. But if you go slow like that you won't have a stuck fermentation due to too high % by Vol. Alcohol and too much free sugar which will no longer ferment because the alcohol killed the yeast, which will cause the wine to be too sweet. But if you ever do this, leave out anything with alcohol already in it or you won't have a good feel for how much more you can add. Spec Grav is hard to read in between pre sugar addition and final product. But if you do what I explained you will end up with a nice smooth High alchohol wine between 16.5% and 18% Alcohol by Volume.

I know you know all this Jerm but to the unknowing, if you add something that you believe to be fermentable, if it has ever been heated to above 140 degrees F it probably isn't very fermentable anymore. If you caramelize sugar you will lesson it's fermentability. So all you'll be adding to the mix is sweetness.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    All I know about drinking wine is that it's how classy people get wasted.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Machell, a self proclaimed "nearly wine snob, unless Sangria is all you have", suggests pairing with Sloppy Joes, or Kraft dinner.

Lacking either, "Ice would suffice".

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    All I know about drinking wine is that it's how classy people get wasted.

I don't know Jerry I wasn't too classy the first time I got into AA. And I was drinking wine. Yeah real fine stuff, like Bare Foot, SWEET! Nite Train and MD 20-20! That was class! I had classic shakes and Classic blurred vision!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    It's been a long time since I partook, but a nice rose' noir was always high on my list. I'm sure you can pull it off.

Mike

PS....this post was meant for Jerm. :)
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    All that sugar and only 1.1 starting?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    I'm thinking SPAM, or Oscar Meyer franks or bologna would be the ideal "mystery meat" to pair with your mystery hooch.

Good that you documented the ingredient list. . .just in case you accidentally create the next Dalmore 62.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    All that sugar and only 1.1 starting?
    Looking at the hydrometer photos a bit better it looks like 1.12.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Looking at the hydrometer photos a bit better it looks like 1.12.

I'd pair it with a bologna and whip cream sandwich with a side of sardines dipped in condensed milk.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I think it would go with ketchup sandwiches too.
    -Thomas Paine
    I think it would go with ketchup sandwiches too.

Sardines packed in mustard with saltines to go with might be good, too!
    ― Douglas Adams
    I loved those when I was a kid. My mom hated when I did that...

I wasn't much on Ketchup sandwiches but Mayo were wonderful! And not that sweet ass Miracle Whip. I prefer good old Kraft Mayo. It has just a twist of lemon in it and lots of eggs, of which the combo makes my mouth water just thinking about. I don't give a flip about Helmans, it tastes like Butter. If I want butter then I'll eat a Bread and Butter Sandwich (Much Better than Helmans), which BTW, I'm not too opposed to when the mood strikes me.

On seafood I prefer Tarter Sauce. I love my own brew of that. However, fresh out of the bay oysters I prefer with Ketchup. Nothing better than to go out on the bay after a cold ass norther has blown the tide out and pick up individual oysters and take em home and open up a quartor two, soak em in beer and bread em in yellow corn meal and fry em up. That, with a big ol' glass of iced tea is a real treat. A little work, but the pleasure is well worth the effort.

The same can be said for Flounder too. Some of the best breakfasts I can ever remember was mornings when we'd get in from a floundering trip with 50 or 100 flounder iced down is when we'd take a few of the smaller flounder out, fillet them and fry em up just like I described the oysters. My GOD that's manna from heaven!!!

Damn it's easy to get off subject here! Ok Back on subject, whatever it was!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Hey, I guess Jerm's Bum Ho... I mean wine would go good with this too!!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Sounds like an eclectic mix! I wouldn't mind a taste of the finished product! One thing I know for sure, it HAS to be better than that bacon flavored vodka! :vomit::roll2:

Good grief, I'll never forget that crap!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!