Home Main Category General Firearms

Tune-up for my old Hardballer

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
You old-timers here have seen and read about my old '77 Hardballer, my first pistol when I was a kid, and tweaked back in the day by a couple of local 'smiths. It's been semi-retired for a long time, but it was state of the art in 1985.

I think I'm going to take it to my current guy, Sam Hatfield, and have him freshen it up a bit so I can take it back to the range. Haven't shot it in years, and it's long overdue for a dance.

AMT1_zps4625e4b1.jpg
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    What was the thought process for turning it into a safe queen?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That is nice!
    I like the rear sight sitting low and sleek as opposed to the tall ones today.
    Well worth some attention.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    What are you going to get done to it?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    What was the thought process for turning it into a safe queen?

Not sure, maybe a mix of nostalgia and distraction with newer toys to play with.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    early wrote: »
    That is nice!
    I like the rear sight sitting low and sleek as opposed to the tall ones today.
    Well worth some attention.

That's an old Millett from back when they were breaking ground on hi-visibility combat sights for handguns. This one is fully adjustable with a sort of Y-shaped white outline, mated with a neon orange front sight. They did require machining of the slide for the low mount, and the front used a patented "dual crimp" install that gunsmiths nowadays cringe at the memory of doing. It's not reversible or easily replaceable, but back then it was the bee's meow.

NRA Endowment Member
    Zee wrote: »
    What are you going to get done to it?

Just new springs, new small parts if need be, nothing major. I've already had to replace a grip bushing with an oversized new one; Harry Sanford addressed the stainless galling issue by using slightly different alloys for the frame and slide, so the frame is a bit softer. Might talk to Sam about staking the bushings.

NRA Endowment Member
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    They are cool guns still IMHO
    I think I saw one in 22mag once.Maybe even a long slide.
    I just remember being very tempted.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's STILL state of the art in 2017 buddy :cool2:

somebody needs some enabling......LOL

Will have a picture Tuesday for you
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's STILL state of the art in 2017 buddy :cool2:

:up:

Last time I had it to the range, a guy offered me $200 just for the old Wilson ducktail grip safety!

NRA Endowment Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    They are cool guns still IMHO
    I think I saw one in 22mag once.Maybe even a long slide.
    I just remember being very tempted.

AMT came out with a few unique designs under the "AutoMag" brand in .22 magnum and even .30 carbine. They were also the ones behind the Backup pistols in .380, 9mm and .45ACP; popular little DAO beasties in stainless that wore out many a pocket in the 80s...

NRA Endowment Member
    Thanks Larry that helped bring back some of my recollection on them.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    I say mount a big arse laser on top and get a pair of gargoyle sunglasses. :tooth: :cool2:
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    :roll2::worthy:

NRA Endowment Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    What with the top rib and the insert-punch-and-turn overtravel screw, the silhouette is almost a dead ringer for the Gold Cup that haunted my dreams in the early '80's. Floats my nostalgia boat, for sure.

Did AMT use a wider-than-GI cutout in the frame for a fatter-faced trigger like Colt did on Gold Cups of the period?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    They did. The original Hardballer was the first stainless Gold Cup clone, with the wider trigger and Elliason-style target sights.

The sights weren't very robust, and being young and dumb(er), I got caught up in the custom 1911 photos in G&A and other magazines. The Millett sights were different, so I went with them.

NRA Endowment Member
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I have a Longslide Hardballer and I love it.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    Nice looking old AMT :up:

I have the full stocked "Lightning" (10/22 clone)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    That's a great-looking piece, Larry. I don't know how you kept it locked up for so long.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That's a great-looking piece, Larry. I don't know how you kept it locked up for so long.

Thanks! I guess as I acquired other items along my timeline, my older ones got overlooked when selecting for range trips. I should collect up all my guns bought over 20 years ago or more and just take them out to dance!

NRA Endowment Member