Home Main Category General Firearms

It was a .260 Remington kind of day.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,977 Senior Member
I have 3 rifles chambered for the .260 Remington and one specialty pistol.

My benchrest rifle and specialty pistol were originally loaded with 130gr Berger Hunting VLD bullets. Very accurate but dismal in terminal performance. They penciled through everything I shot with them.

When I got my Remington 700 SPS for hunting year before last, I loaded 140gr A-Max bullets to the lands and 1.5gr over book max with good accuracy and terminal performance. Trouble is, the bullets were seated too long to fit in the benchrest rifle or XP-100 pistol.

Well, about a month ago, I picked up the new Remington 700 "Magpul" rifle chambered in .260 Remington.

Remington 700
22" Coated Stainless Threaded Barrel w/8T and 5R Rifling
Magpul Hunter Stock

E21384D5-0B79-4915-954C-04A910A71BF5_zpsg05d2lig.jpg

065B999A-77DF-43DE-8AEE-0C2C356021D1_zpsxgxokgjn.png

Got it home and immediately yanked the Magpul Stock off the action.
Replacing it with an AICS Chassis I had and the trigger with a 40x trigger adjusted to 1.25 pounds. Then added a Badger Ord. Brake.

Now, I wanted 1 load to work in all my rifles. I liked my current A-Max load, but it was seated too long for the Benchrest.

I measured red all the rifle chamber lengths.

700 SPS - 2.281"
700 Magpul - 2.283"
Benchrest - 2.275"

The A-Max load measures 2.280" BTO and needed to be shortened.

I seated them deeper at 2.270" BTO and took all the rifles to the range.

Started with the new Remington 700 "Magpul" I'd placed in the AICS.

260%20Magpul%20in%20AICS%203_zps1aihrmel.jpg

260%20Magpul%20in%20AICS%204_zpsomfj2iag.jpg

BA3AD30C-EFEB-46D0-9D30-30A534DD9B07_zpsch72aa29.jpg

9E1B16C8-FAFE-40DE-8177-DD3874CC7B12_zpsj1ji75c5.jpg

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds out of the gun.

IMG_0279_zps4z8ltu2r.jpg

Adjusted 1/2" left. Rounds number 6,7,8 out of the gun.

Zero%205-29-17_zpse9n4cii7.jpg

A little slower than I expected. But, that will work for less than 10 rounds through the gun with a load made for another rifle.

Switched to the benchrest rifle.

260%20Benchrest%202_zpsqfhxeyec.jpg

260%20Benchrest%203_zpsiffdxk08.jpg

DF3EEA66-FDC6-4216-82D6-8B22E5BE452B_zpsgybrblgt.jpg

AB44F0AD-ADE7-4DFA-ACEE-323360AD456B_zpscfyfzlw2.jpg

First 3 rounds.

IMG_0276_zpsmvihe16v.jpg

Adjusted up.

Zero%205-29-17_zpsfklc4r7m.jpg

That load is MOVING out of that rifle!! A little over 2,900 fps!! I'll take it!

Then went to the 700 SPS the load was originally made for but, now seated deeper.

418C2269-79DD-4378-8F28-005A4F5E788B_zps4i7o5yu5.jpg

49099CD9-7455-4C00-BC8B-43D1562E3EA6_zpscbu1kwqm.jpg

First 3 rounds, adjusted left and last 3 rounds.

IMG_0281_zpsjwuwgzou.jpg

Zero%205-29-17_zpsc8wwtzpr.jpg

I couldn't keep it together or the barrel heated up too much on both groups. Either way, the 3rd round in both groups got away from me. Poop!!

All in all, I am very pleased with the load and the new Remington 700 "Magpul" rifle. The benchrest rifle really seems to like the load and the two hunting rifles use it sufficiently to kill stuff with. And, I only have to stock 1 load for all three!!!

It was a good day.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Thanks for the report...always look forward to them...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's pretty interesting about the velocity difference. So many variables, that could change later.

Even without knowing anything about it, that after market chassis looks more solid.

You're one heck of a good shot!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    What was your reason for ditching the MagPul stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,977 Senior Member
    What was your reason for ditching the MagPul stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not as ridged as I wanted for that rifle. I've installed it on my short .243 Winchester that my boy and I use for hunting.

I wanted a mag fed stock for that rifle (pig hunting) and the adjustable length is good for him. Also, it's lighter weight will make it easier for him to carry.

We we will see. The jury is still out.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That seems to work rather well.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    early wrote: »
    That's pretty interesting about the velocity difference. So many variables, that could change later.

Even without knowing anything about it, that after market chassis looks more solid.

You're one heck of a good shot!

Thanks. I have my moments. Other times......not so much.

The AICS is a very solid stock. Full length, stem to stern aluminum chassis.

Yes, I was rather surprised how slow the 22" Remington was compared to the other two with longer barrels.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    It's not as ridged as I wanted for that rifle. I've installed it on my short .243 Winchester that my boy and I use for hunting.

I wanted a mag fed stock for that rifle (pig hunting) and the adjustable length is good for him. Also, it's lighter weight will make it easier for him to carry.

We we will see. The jury is still out.

Post up with your sons range report on the MagPul stock please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Post up with your sons range report on the MagPul stock please.

I've got to work up a new load for the rifle. Will do so then.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    ". . .and then it's nothing but work, work, work all the time" - The Dread Pirate Roberts :jester:

It's REALLY nice when Murphy allows the same handload to work well across multiple platforms.

That velocity loss from the 22" tube might make for some fun 6.5mm ballistic arc and wind drift comparisons, as it kinda knocks you down into your very familiar .308 Winchester launch speed zone. There might be some wolf-in-sheep's-clothing potential there.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I've got to work up a new load for the rifle. Will do so then.

Hijack, I thought you had that dialed in? Wasn't he shooting the deer he shot last fall with it?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Bigslug wrote: »
    ". . .and then it's nothing but work, work, work all the time" - The Dread Pirate Roberts :jester:

It's REALLY nice when Murphy allows the same handload to work well across multiple platforms.

That velocity loss from the 22" tube might make for some fun 6.5mm ballistic arc and wind drift comparisons, as it kinda knocks you down into your very familiar .308 Winchester launch speed zone. There might be some wolf-in-sheep's-clothing potential there.

That's a good point!

The 168gr A-Max out of my AI clocks 2,720 fps and .475 BC compared to the 6.5's speed of 2,700 fps and .585 BC.

You might be be on to an interesting comparison.
    Hijack, I thought you had that dialed in? Wasn't he shooting the deer he shot last fall with it?

Yeah. He has been using the load I originally made for my .243 Heavy (31" barrel). It was one of the first handloads I ever worked up.

I've learned so much since then and I think I can do better in the .243 Medium that he uses. So, now that I'm almost out of those loads.........I'm gonna start from scratch and see what it can do.
    Yeah. He has been using the load I originally made for my .243 Heavy (31" barrel). It was one of the first handloads I ever worked up.

I've learned so much since then and I think I can do better in the .243 Medium that he uses. So, now that I'm almost out of those loads.........I'm gonna start from scratch and see what it can do.

Have at it, as long as you keep the original recipe, he was on those deer to good effect.
    Have at it, as long as you keep the original recipe, he was on those deer to good effect.

If I can't improve the accuracy, I'll go back to the original. No question it worked.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Too bad you don't have one of those laser beam 6.5 Creedmors!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    AB44F0AD-ADE7-4DFA-ACEE-323360AD456B_zpscfyfzlw2.jpg

First 3 rounds.

IMG_0276_zpsmvihe16v.jpg

Adjusted up.

Zero%205-29-17_zpsfklc4r7m.jpg

That load is MOVING out of that rifle!! A little over 2,900 fps!! I'll take it!

Zowie!

Nice shootin' Tex!!!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    JKP wrote: »
    Too bad you don't have one of those laser beam 6.5 Creedmors!

Yeah. I'm not a cool kid.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Then people might stop running away from you buddy...

Why would I want them to stop?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Why would I want them to stop?

I don't know why, but I'm not running away. However, Although sometimes I do get my rocks off pulling your chain, there's no chain to pull here. Just great shooting. You stick with your plan and adjust only as needed. Good work.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Just noticed the bench rest rifle doesn't "rest" in the front rest (at least in your photo). Did you shoot with that rest or is that just how you took the photo, presumably switching the front rest for the wider stock?
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Isn't the .260 just a .270 that's not so much?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Just noticed the bench rest rifle doesn't "rest" in the front rest (at least in your photo). Did you shoot with that rest or is that just how you took the photo, presumably switching the front rest for the wider stock?

I have a wider top for that rifle/rest combo. But, of course I forgot it that day. So, I just shot it that way as you see it.
    I have a wider top for that rifle/rest combo. But, of course I forgot it that day. So, I just shot it that way as you see it.

Looks like it really impacted your performance. Tighten up next time!