Home Main Category General Firearms

SE Shoot enabling.

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I think I'll get that spring kit for my Marlin model 60 and flat not grooved trigger and install it to bring next year. Buy a couple those tube reloaders to dump ammo in it.

And/or a Ruger 10/22, I dunno..............maybe another 9mm of some kind, a full sized one, not a Glock.

Time will tell what strikes my fancy, I just haven't seen it yet, but I know it's out there on a shelf someplace waiting fer me and I'll know when I see and hold it then I'll fall in :love::love: :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,683 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    ....maybe another 9mm of some kind, a full sized one, not a Glock.

I don't think you shot my CZ-75BD - nuts!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Of course he is...

Davidson's has them in different colors - although I'm thinking about the one with the Hi-Viz sights.

My only hesitation is that I'd really rather have a SS slide and especially a SS bbl for a carry piece in Florida.

That is easy: LC9 Talo has a SS slide. Not sure about the barrel
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I don't think you shot my CZ-75BD - nuts!

I've fired a few CZ 75s over the years, especially in Germany, nice ergonomic pistols. I guess I'm a bit aggravated with myself I didn't buy a couple back in the 80s when the Rod n Gun clubs had them for sale fer about $169 packed in lots of grease and 2X 15 rd mags in a cheap cardboard box with a styofoam insert. We were allowed to bring back 2 ea at the time. I think they had a "Jungle Paint" black finish.

Couple of reasons, one they were great for what they were designed to do, the Krauts weren't into the concept of Combat Shootin back then and 25 meters shootin at smallish bullseyes wasn't easy with one. Later when match bbls and different models/Adj sights/grip choices and so forth were more available that helped a lot.

And my interest just wasn't into a "Wondernine" back then. Plus I wasn't enamored with the 9mm cartridge. Guns and projectiles have gotten much better since.....................................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    cpj wrote: »
    But it has a crappy trigger.

Sounds like its the LC9, not the LC9s that Diver's talking about?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    If you can do it, go for it! 'Cause you and I both know that most lock downs make things like this move - a LOT.

Yeah, and it doesn't take much movement to open up your group. Cheap rests give Crappy groups. That thing cpj concocted is awesome. I had a good rest that didn't move but lost it in my first divorce. I was thinking to go for the gold and get another one, but if cpj starts manufacturing those he makes I'll get one of his. It's well worth the money. That thing don't move, AND from what I saw is easy to adjust. It has a large degree of precision in the adjustments. That's a big part of what you need to shoot good groups.

But if we want to shoot accurately at the shoot we need a solid table and stool to sit on. And it would help if it was level. My gun club has concrete shooting tables and pipe stools. If I had a rest like that I could shoot way mo betta groups. My vision ain't what it used to be, but it's still mo betta than most.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Who left the SE Shoot with new ideas about buying something? In past years, I shot a few different long range rifles at the shoot and it was really fun to shoot small targets at longer ranges. I only have 100yds at home and most of my hunting is at 100yds or less so I don't really have a good justification for a long range plinker but I've been wanting one anyway. I didn't want to spend too much and I was intrigued by the Mossberg MVP. I wanted to use box magazines also and the MVP uses AR magazines which are cheap and I already have a few so after reading around on the internet, I decided to get one. I got the 24" threaded barrel and put a Clark brake on it, a Vortex anti cant, Weaver 6x24, and EGW bolt knob, and Timney trigger. I only had time to shoot it once to see which ammo that I had on hand worked the best and to sight it in before the shoot. 62gr American Eagle was the most accurate but there were lots of FTF's with it. I had a blast with it at Jerry's and have no regrets.
    Now the next bit of enabling was about a decent rifle rest. I shot from a rest that CPJ made and was ruined. It had a huge amount of elevation adjustment and was butter smooth. The design of the elevation adjustment is genius in that the adjustment wheel is large with lots of mass and on fine threads so that you could just brush it with a fingertip to make adjustments. For somebody who just recently started machining and fabricating more elaborate stuff, it's an amazing piece of equipment that looks and functions as well as anything made by a master machinist. After using it, my current rest feels like a trotline weight. I don't get why most manufacturers use fat ACME threads when even an NC thread would be so much more precise and smoother. Now my next quest​ is for a decent rest.
    Who else left Jerry's with plans to acquire something new?

Me-me-me-me-me! Although I had it somewhat in my mind before I went to the shoot. But all the hoopla about the .270 has got me wanting to see for myself if there's any inherent phenomenon that makes it unsuitable for long range work.

Now that they are making heavy VLD bullets for it and fast twist barrels for the .270 I feel it's time to go forth and see what happens. Science? Like I said, I've been tossing the idea of a long range version of the old cartridge for a few months now. But I was only thinking about building a plain jane .270. However, when I saw Big Al's Mauser in 284 it got me thinking. How about a .270-284? Neck .284 brass down to .277, screw on a . 277 barrel with 1:8 twist rate into my commercial Mauser action, and get me some Matrix 175 grain bullets and see how it shoots. I was thinking a 26" Barrel until Jerm got me thinking. I already have field guns. This will be a long range special so why not use a 28 or 30 inch stainless barrel? I'd have to put some decent glass on it, somehow a VX-1 just wouldn't be appropriate.

cpj and Jerm have agreed to shoot it using Jerm's Butt for a rest and cpj as trigger man at the SE shoot. How's that for a barrel break in procedure!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Oh... and Snake's 9.3 is sweet! I do lust that rifle. I got a thing for oddball chambered Rugers and got a thing for rifles with some power, so his makes me tingly in a special place. It has a very good hunting trigger on it as well. Really nice gun. And I have to admit that "The 270" is a good classic honest rifle. It shoots very nice, has a great trigger and modest recoil. It has honest wear and tear but does not distract from the functionality.

Will it stop me from cracking .270 jokes? Never.

And I wouldn't want it any other way as long as the deer keep dropping before it.:jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,497 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Oh... and Snake's 9.3 is sweet! I do lust that rifle. I got a thing for oddball chambered Rugers and got a thing for rifles with some power, so his makes me tingly in a special place. It has a very good hunting trigger on it as well. Really nice gun. And I have to admit that "The 270" is a good classic honest rifle. It shoots very nice, has a great trigger and modest recoil. It has honest wear and tear but does not distract from the functionality.

Will it stop me from cracking .270 jokes? Never.
    I'd say you're gay for the .270, but that's just a redundancy of terms.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    CPJ- - - -have you ever considered using a small barbell weight like a 5-pounder or so as an adjusting wheel? Just press fit a fine-threaded bushing into the middle of it to run on the elevation jackscrew. You should be able to pick them up at most yard sales for about a dollar a pound or less after the bodybuilder wannabes get tired of them collecting dust in the back yard storage shed.
    Jerry
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Now that they are making heavy VLD bullets for it and fast twist barrels for the .270 I feel it's time to go forth and see what happens. Science? Like I said, I've been tossing the idea of a long range version of the old cartridge for a few months now. But I was only thinking about building a plain jane .270. However, when I saw Big Al's Mauser in 284 it got me thinking. How about a .270-284? Neck .284 brass down to .277, screw on a . 277 barrel with 1:8 twist rate into my commercial Mauser action, and get me some Matrix 175 grain bullets and see how it shoots. I was thinking a 26" Barrel until Jerm got me thinking. I already have field guns. This will be a long range special so why not use a 28 or 30 inch stainless barrel? I'd have to put some decent glass on it, somehow a VX-1 just wouldn't be appropriate.

cpj and Jerm have agreed to shoot it using Jerm's Butt for a rest and cpj as trigger man at the SE shoot. How's that for a barrel break in procedure!

Snake, go for it. I doubt you get the followers you have pictured though. You are trying very hard to reinvent the wheel. Maybe you should look into a .270WSM barrel before you pay for a custom reamer.
    Go for it. Aim high.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Snake, go for it. I doubt you get the followers you have pictured though. You are trying very hard to reinvent the wheel. Maybe you should look into a .270WSM barrel before you pay for a custom reamer.
    Go for it. Aim high.

What rate of twist do they put on .270 WSM? That's what I'm looking at and as Jerm suggested a longer barrel. I do like the thought of a short mag case, but one of my fears is problems with feed rails. The .284 case is not that much fatter and would take less work filing the rails to fit. But I will definitely look into it.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    What rate of twist do they put on .270 WSM? That's what I'm looking at and as Jerm suggested a longer barrel. I do like the thought of a short mag case, but one of my fears is problems with feed rails. The .284 case is not that much fatter and would take less work filing the rails to fit. But I will definitely look into it.

Who cares what twist a factory .270WSM barrel is? No one makes a 28" Palma taper factory .270WSM barrel. As for feed rails, well... don't use a Mauser action. Use a WSM action, like a Remington or Howa. Better yet get balls deep and use a Surgeon.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    This is part of the fun and challenge of making something that's not a one off. Finding parts that go together like Legos (mostly) and that will be available.

Yep. BTDTGTTSGOO! Going into production on something that you've made one or two of can be a PITA. Just when you have your suppliers lined up, one of them goes out of business, discontinues the part, or changes the FFF (Form, Fit, Function). I've had this same challenge with my Sistra production, something like your rest would be far more critical!

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 437 Member
    Yes. I've considered LOTS of things. Bought a handwheel at Grizzly made for some machine. Then found out ther were discontinuing that one. No good, I need something that will be available. The one I used (handle from a fire sprinkler system valve)for the second go round was gonna be "it". They are cheap (first ten would be free...) and available cheap
    After the free ones ran out.
    But....the weight makes ALL the difference I found after using Jerms with the brass wheel. My aluminum one isn't gonna cut it. Looks good, but loses the feel of the hefty brass. That exact brass wheel ain't an option, it was a salvage piece.
    So after a bit of digging, I can order 4" 1018 cold finish steel by the inch for around $8. Add shipping and I'm guessing a cutting fee and we can probably call it $15-20. I can deal with that because they won't ever stop making that steel. Ream the center hole, chuck it on a mandrel, taper top and bottom so it ain't so kludgy, and Bobs your uncle. This is part of the fun and challenge of making something that's not a one off. Finding parts that go together like Legos (mostly) and that will be available.

And....I have to make something that looks like, well, you know your dads saying.

CPJ have you looked in a Mcmaster Carr site / They sell a lot of crazy things
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    CPJ, I don't know how far you are from any big industrial cities but you might try a valve or fitting company like the guys that make parts for sprinkler systems. A club that I shot at in Texas used to make their plate racks with slugs from a valve company in Fort Worth. When they cut out the openings in the flanges for large valves and fittings, the smaller slugs were sold to a scrap yard by the pound.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me