Home Main Category General Firearms

Groping Report - Kimber K6s revolver

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 8,152 Senior Member
The shop that I picked up my Winchester .22 at today had one of these on the shelf. Given all the hubbub about it, and being something of a snubby fan, I felt obligated to give it a once-over for the sake of our collective hive mind.

Impressions:

Cylinder: It is in fact very thin for a six shot gun. Not enough difference between it and a five shot to matter one bit for concealment purposes. If the extra shot matters to you, that makes it worth a look.

Trigger: I've practiced a lot at pressing smoothly through the point on Smiths and Rugers where the trigger stacks up a little as the cylinder stop kicks up to do it's thing, but this point can be challenging for folks. It's REALLY SMOOTH and less pronounced on this Kimber.

Sights: Dovetailed on both front and rear, so doubtless tritiums and fiber optics will be an easy option for us soon. The factory three-dots are large enough to be useful.

Grips: about on par with the S&W boot grips - maybe slightly taller with a little more pinky room.

Weight: at 23 ounces empty, it's only about an ounce heavier than my five shot Smith 640-1. If you're addicted to Airweights and Airlights, it may not be your thing, but for .357 or +P loadings, the extra baggage reduces the beating you take.

My only negative to the entire gun during my brief exposure is the fact that the back of the cylinder is recessed for the cartridge rims. While this does make for a thin gap and an attractive look, it's a PITA to ensure that crud that might keep a rim from seating flush is cleaned away.

At first glance, I think they've got a winner. At north of $800 on the sticker, it's an expensive winner, but they have done a very nice job.
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,532 Senior Member
    I wasn't a fan of the grip design. The back edges on both sides were too pronounced for my liking.

4264509E-DEB2-4544-9274-080F3DCD5DEB_zpsbz6pazjf.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Did it object to being groped?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Did it object to being groped?
    :uhm:
    Jerry

He bought it a drink first :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    I believe that a J-frame (or the same size) in a .357 is a one-shot weapon. My J-frame .38 special is a last-ditch weapon with +P .38s or any other -Ps for that matter. Second shots are possible but not a pleasant possibility. I carried one for years but had no illusions on its ability. A buddy of mine had a Smith J frame in .357 and fired it a couple of times and quickly sold it. It was one of those super-light (Ti) guns.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,426 Senior Member
    Needs to be shot to be properly evaluated, you will grip it how it needs to be to be shot accurately. Zee and Bigslug, did you drop it into a pocket of your pants to try it on for size and weight?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Needs to be shot to be properly evaluated, you will grip it how it needs to be to be shot accurately. Zee and Bigslug, did you drop it into a pocket of your pants to try it on for size and weight?

It's close enough in size & weight to the stainless, boot-gripped J-frame .357 I handle almost every day that I didn't see much need - barring really minor variations in how it fits in the pocket of a particular size & style of pocket, holster, etc. . . it's going to work in the same roles for the most part - you're just going to have to check it in your personal crevices to see if it'll work for you. It is definitely worth comparing in that regard. It's certainly more of a J-frame that they managed to get 6 shots into than a K-frame they tried to make small.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    It's close enough in size & weight to the stainless, boot-gripped J-frame .357 I handle almost every day that I didn't see much need - barring really minor variations in how it fits in the pocket of a particular size & style of pocket, holster, etc. . . it's going to work in the same roles for the most part - you're just going to have to check it in your personal crevices to see if it'll work for you. It is definitely worth comparing in that regard. It's certainly more of a J-frame that they managed to get 6 shots into than a K-frame they tried to make small.

Good to know, thanks, I have not groped one yet.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    It is an attractive revolver. We need a range report. :popcorn:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I too fondled one a couple months ago, and was very impressed with the fit and finish. However, at 8 bills+, it is an expensive bit of hardware... at least compared to my old S&W 36 (which is the role it would play for me - .38 pocket gun).
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,532 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    I too fondled one a couple months ago, and was very impressed with the fit and finish. However, at 8 bills+, it is an expensive bit of hardware... at least compared to my old S&W 36 (which is the role it would play for me - .38 pocket gun).

This.

And because of the price, it will be another Kimber model doomed to die.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I'm sure it's a nice revolver, but I'm perfectly happy with my SP101. I'll risk the 6th round.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    I have one. Pretty nice pistol for me.
    WORLD T wrote: »
    I have one. Pretty nice pistol for me.

Hey there, range report please!