Home Main Category General Firearms

New Version of Hearing Protection Act???

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
The changes concerning suppressors have been incorporated into the ‘Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act" which has support from both sides of the aisle.

Sec. 1701. Short title.
Sec. 1702. Equal treatment of silencers and firearms.
Sec. 1703. Treatment of certain silencers.
Sec. 1704. Preemption of certain State laws in relation to firearm silencers.
Sec. 1705. Destruction of records.
Sec. 1706. Amendments to title 18, United States Code.
Sec. 1707. Imposition of tax on firearm silencers or firearm mufflers.

https://naturalresources.house.gov/uploadedfiles/discussion_draft_--_share_act.pdf

They seem to have added a 10% tax for suppressors in one section. The complete revenue generated by them being on the NFA list might not go away but it sure won't add up to a $200 stamp so it is kinda a win and maybe concession to the Dems to get some on board. Also sitting Rep or Senator wants to be "the one" that voted against a Sportsmen's Act if their home state is either Red, Leaning Red or Neutral ... I hope.
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    How about shove ANY TAX up their ass? Screw concessions.

Chris, that is the same tax as levied on firearms now ... they are treating the suppressors as a firearm ... currently it reads
    There is hereby imposed upon the sale by the manufacturer, producer, or importer of the following articles a tax equivalent to the specified percent of the price for which so sold:

Articles taxable at 10 percent—
    Pistols.
    Revolvers.

Articles taxable at 11 percent—
    Firearms (other than pistols and revolvers).
    Shells, and cartridges.
    (Aug. 16, 1954, ch. 736, 68A Stat. 490.)

They are just adding suppressors to that list to be treated as such under the IRC ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    The changes concerning suppressors have been incorporated into the ‘Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act" which has support from both sides of the aisle.

Sec. 1701. Short title.
    Sec. 1702. Equal treatment of silencers and firearms.
    Sec. 1703. Treatment of certain silencers.
    Sec. 1704. Preemption of certain State laws in relation to firearm silencers.
    Sec. 1705. Destruction of records.
    Sec. 1706. Amendments to title 18, United States Code.
    Sec. 1707. Imposition of tax on firearm silencers or firearm mufflers.

https://naturalresources.house.gov/uploadedfiles/discussion_draft_--_share_act.pdf

They seem to have added a 10% tax for suppressors in one section. The complete revenue generated by them being on the NFA list might not go away but it sure won't add up to a $200 stamp so it is kinda a win and maybe concession to the Dems to get some on board. Also sitting Rep or Senator wants to be "the one" that voted against a Sportsmen's Act if their home state is either Red, Leaning Red or Neutral ... I hope.

Bullpatties. They can shove this iteration straight up their collective asses.

You realize 10% on most suppressors is north of $100 right? At minimum it's still $50-$75. No way. The original version or nothing. Draw a line in the sand and don't be ninnies. The word filter here will not allow me to convey my true sentiment.

Sales taxes in some jurisdictions is already like 8-9%. Add another 10%? JMFC.

How about they be rid of the tax ALTOGETHER and pink slip every lazy ass in the NFA branch in WV?! Yes please. I ain't paying their salaries willingly.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    I quickly scanned the bill. The tax appears to be the Pittman-robertson act which sets a tax on firearms and ammo. A significant portion of that tax is given to the states to fund various wildlife programs.

I don't have a problem with that tax. My state dept of wildlife, fisheries, and parks receives 0 state funds. All funding for the dept comes from licenses and this federal tax. It will 0robably be less than the $200 tax stamp. 0lus, no need to set up a trust for the silencer so those fees are saved also.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,347 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    I quickly scanned the bill. The tax appears to be the Pittman-robertson act which sets a tax on firearms and ammo. A significant portion of that tax is given to the states to fund various wildlife programs.

I don't have a problem with that tax. My state dept of wildlife, fisheries, and parks receives 0 state funds. All funding for the dept comes from licenses and this federal tax. It will 0robably be less than the $200 tax stamp. 0lus, no need to set up a trust for the silencer so those fees are saved also.

And you can sell it if you decide to upgrade/downgrade/etc.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Suppressors are artificially high priced in the USA because of the NFA and the whole system.

A decent suppressor can be made for just a few dollars if you have the right tools. CPJ has it right. When they become legal I will be assembling several for my personal use. I like the flashlight body kits that use maglight bodies for the base.

http://www.preppersdiscount.com/store/c17/SOLVENT_TRAP_KITS.html

I don't need a titanium suppressor for what I do. Steel and aluminum will be fine. What is really needed? An adapter for your threads that screws into a cylander like a flashlight body, the body, baffles that line up ridgedly, and a cap with a hole in it that lines up with the baffles. It isn't that hard to put together in my opinion.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    You are not paying their salaries with this. This tax is actually one that goes to the good under the Pittman Robertson Wildlife Act ... The Dept of Interior under that act gives a boat load of funds back to support federal and state hunting and fishing. This Act had actually done more than most know to help us ... the Sportsmen and hence was added under this Sportsman Act.
    - George Orwell
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,347 Senior Member
    You are not paying their salaries with this. This tax is actually one that goes to the good under the Pittman Robertson Wildlife Act ... The Dept of Interior under that act gives a boat load of funds back to support federal and state hunting and fishing. This Act had actually done more than most know to help us ... the Sportsmen and hence was added under this Sportsman Act.

When I took my hunter's safety course, the volunteer who taught the course mentioned that our state to funds all of its hunting, fishing , & conservation activities from licensing fees and taxes received (from the Feds) from that tax.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    It isn't that hard to put together in my opinion.

Aluminum conduit, stainless steel fender washers, and rubber O rings- - - - - -total material cost is less than 20 bucks. (So I've heard)
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Aluminum conduit, stainless steel fender washers, and rubber O rings- - - - - -total material cost is less than 20 bucks. (So I've heard)
    Jerry

Yep, they can range from household item like Teach says to some automotive parts to even some people even having the G-code for K-baffles ... scrap of metal to mill ... a few sections of scrap tubing ... right now all that is needed is $200 and whatever time the Form 1 takes. If anything were to come of this or the HPA it would take no time to turn out a couple dozen baffles. Cutting and threading the tubes would be easy. The place someone would take his time would be the centering of the bores if the baffles and end caps. The only problem I'd see would be machine time ...
    - George Orwell
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The only problem I'd see would be machine time ...

Some of us don't have that problem, and the number is growing!
    :devil:
    Jerry
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I suspect that once suppressors are no longer an NFA item the price of commercially available units will fall considerably. There will probably be high production shops pumping them out at 50 bucks a pop.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I suspect that once suppressors are no longer an NFA item the price of commercially available units will fall considerably. There will probably be high production shops pumping them out at 50 bucks a pop.

I can see Magpul making a disposable plastic on for $20................
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Ok.

Still don't want the tax.

Let's just broaden it to a 10% gun purchase tax too. Screw it.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    cpj wrote: »
    That tax already exists

You're correct. And in FL manufacturers pay a special tax, too, for manufacturing firearms and ammunition.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I can see Magpul making a disposable plastic on for $20................

Two liter soda bottle suppressor....
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: