Home Main Category General Firearms

Mini Score on .22 ammo at Walmart

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
No CCI Mini Mags on the shelf today, but they had 3 ea 50 rd boxes of Stingers which I bought. Also a box of Quiet-22. Just because I haven't got any of them, but other CB Caps and primer only .22s. I really have no need for the Stingers, but wanted some to keep O/H. I'll shoot some in my model 63 revolver. My understanding they are rough on semi-autos and Ruger doesn't recommend them in theirs.

Another feller was in there looking for some .22 for a match and I offered him a chance to buy one of the Stinger boxes, but not what he needed. Kid/Clerk then was saying he found out why there has been a shortage of .22 ammo and I said really why is that. He goes on to say because the Military is using/ training with them and buying them all up...........I say that is news to me.

Other guy says he heard of the Israelis using .22s for stuff, but not that. I say me neither, except cadets used to use a Govt Target Model Ruger for training them how to shoot years ago and don't know about these days and I never saw a .22 used whole time I was in the Army by soldiers for anything.

I told the other customer about some good online places to buy .22 ammo, but it will take a few days to arrive.

Kid says they are getting another shipment tomorrow.

Anyhow, good to see any .22 lr on the shelf for a change in these parts at Walmart.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    And if I see one more YouTube video where the shooter is firing .22s from a handgun and quoting the velocity on the box as what he should be getting..............without any explanation that claimed velocity is from a RIFLE, I dunno what Ill do. :bang: :bang: A few are knowledgeable enough to point that out and do. I appreciate that.

Usually erroneous statements like .45 Long Colt, Mag vs Clip don't bother my sensibilities much, but that does for some reason.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Palmetto state had minimags for 7.99 the other day. Academy seems to have them all the time now but in 36gr. My 22/45 prefers 40gr.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Palmetto state had minimags for 7.99 the other day. Academy seems to have them all the time now but in 36gr. My 22/45 prefers 40gr.

Yep I saw that, just bought 10 from them a while back. Couple weeks ago the Walmart here had 6 or 8 boxes of Mini Mags on the shelf for a change.

The Stingers were $6.47 a box and the Quiets $3.27 (which they had a bunch of).
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Maybe for use in a pistol, but I don't have a .22 that will shoot Stingers accurately, past 25 yards.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Stingers can be rough on older .22s
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    I read the Stinger brass or case is longer and the bullet is smaller/shorter/lighter (32 grains) and the overall length is the same. Some say longer case to allow more powder, some say in tight or match bbls it jams the case mouth into the rifling and pressure can go up or if ejected and not fired can pull a bullet.

Now I can measure the OAL of a few types and the case and do a comparison. Because they shoot what 300-400 FPS faster I can see where a lot of them might cause an already used/worn semi gun bolt to slam harder back and be harder on internals. Not 100% sure of that. Ruger says don't use them in 10/22s. I dunno about MK I/II/III/IV pistols.

I imagine a box or two won't hurt anything in any gun in good working order, but if already worn may accelerate or even cause a part near its shootin life end to fail..........I really don't know.

I plan to try and chamber six in my model 63 SS S&W Kit revolver in a few and take some measurements to compare them with other .22s

I'll shoot some Stingers next range visit.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The staff at my local walmart is still pilfering it out to family and friends upon delivery. I got some mini mags at the local sporting goods a couple weeks ago. 500 rnd bricks are gone. A sad development for the shooting sports.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Thanks Chief!:up:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Wow, talk about variations in .22 LR ammo from the same box in measurements and weights............anyhow the Stingers cases are noticeably longer than 4 or 5 kinds I put them next too. OAL is about the same as others, but that could vary a tad because of bullet weight/style/maker.

They do chamber just fine in my model 63.

Also do not mix up a bunch of .22 ammo that looks alike. Fiocchi and Norma easy to identify from head stamp logo, but CCI is a "C" and so I pulled some of them Quiets and got them mixed up with CCI STD. Weighing on a digital scale too close for comfort with the variations...............I did find the Quiets have a more pointed bullet nose profile than the CCI Stds and there is a slight difference in the driving bands, hard to tell at first look. Screw it, set those aside and will fire all in a revolver at the range with hearing protection. My luck when I'm expecting a low noise I'd get a loud noise shootin a snake or something in the backyard!