Home Main Category Personal Defense

Average cost of personal defense ammo at the LGS

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
I have traditionally used Federal ammo for defensive use,
Hydrashock .45 acp, picked up some today, 25 rounds for $25, $1 a round,
seems like the price has gone up.
Is this the case at most gun stores as of late ?
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Yes. This is why I don't follow the "practice 50% of the time with the ammo you intend to defend yourself with" rule, because it (124gr 9mm Gold Dots) is very pricey and I can't afford to.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I pay about $24.00 a box for either Hornady Critical Defense or Hornady TAPS...I replace my carry ammo annually, so each year I shoot up the previous years ammo...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    I have not seen my preferred carry load at any local shop. I carry the Federal HST and get them from Ammunition to go. $28 per 50 rounds. I prefer the 147 grain loading but bought the 124s.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-federal-le-tactical-hst-124gr-hp-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Yes I find the cost of premium SD ammo about a buck a pop at the LGS, less at the gunshow. But I'm shooting .45 which is a bit more expensive than physically smaller calibers. I can get it cheaper via mail order.

Gun show ammo prices are very good, almost as low as mail order, so whenever I hit the gun show I'll be dragging a little cart of both SD and practice ammo, which then lasts me all year, considering that I shoot regularly but not in large volume these days.

Gunshow prices vary mostly state to state it seems. In Texas where there are gunshows nearly every weekend and the larger dealers (ammo and firearms) set up big tables, you cannot beat the prices on new stuff. Other folks in other states have different reports, and of course in some locales you can't even sell ammo at the gunshow.

It's a sort of rule of thumb that premium SD ammo costs about 2x what good factory load practice ammo does. For practice ammo (FMJ) I try to find S&B (Sellier and Belliot, Belgian, been making ammo for a couple hundred years now) which seems to be about the best price for reliable, clean FMJ practice ammo. The Wolf brand is too smoky for my tastes. And I won't touch that aluminum junk.

Sure, I find bargains here and there, but I've pretty much converted all my SD ammo to CorBon +P PowrBall, which is usually about 2x the cost of any decent "whitebox" practice FMJ ammo. I rarely shoot anything but .45acp so other caliber prices may vary and I woulnd't know.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    $24-$30; however, I don't find it much at the LGS, usually big sporting goods stores or online.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    Around $21 here for Golden Sabers either in 9mm +p or 101 grn .380. Haven't bought .45 in a while but I think it is a couple bucks more. $16/ 50 box for 9mm fmj and $22/ 50 box .380 FMJ.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    The 180gr Hornady XTP's that I carry in my bulldog are 23.00 for 20 of them. Whenever I find a carry round that I like, I work on reloading something that emulates the round at a lower cost. I cast and load a 200gr FP that has the same point of aim and recoil as my carry ammo so that I can practice a lot at a much lower cost.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    It's right at a $1 a round give or take a bit.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    NN wrote: »
    $24-$30; however, I don't find it much at the LGS, usually big sporting goods stores or online.

Well, there's LGS and there's LGS. By LGS I don't mean Academy -- sporting goods stores that also have guns and ammo. What I refer to by "LGS" is a "real" gun store, place that is only a gun store (and of course hunting gear). There are a couple nearby where I buy most all my gun stuff.
    Sam, I sorta live in a area that doesn't cater to SD needs; they'll sell you a gun, but, may not have SD ammo for it. Maybe range ammo, but, Walmart under prices the LGS and does not have much SD ammo. At least here.

I could go to a population center and get ammo, but ding ****, I'm not driving 3-4 hours to buy a box of ammo and then have to drive home.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I pay about $24.00 a box for either Hornady Critical Defense or Hornady TAPS...I replace my carry ammo annually, so each year I shoot up the previous years ammo...

I buy the same (in .45acp, I presume) and pay between $19 and $22; the TAPS are less than the Critical Defense. It should be noted that Hornady packages them with 20 rounds per box, not 25 like most others that I've seen from Winchester, Federal, and Remington.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    NN wrote: »
    Sam, I sorta live in a area that doesn't cater to SD needs; they'll sell you a gun, but, may not have SD ammo for it. Maybe range ammo, but, Walmart under prices the LGS and does not have much SD ammo. At least here.

I could go to a population center and get ammo, but ding ****, I'm not driving 3-4 hours to buy a box of ammo and then have to drive home.

Understood. I've never even looked at ammo in Walmart -- too far to drive and the Target's closer, and Academy just down the street. But I try to patronize my "real" gun store if I can, even if their ammo's a bit more expensive than the big box stores.

And yeah, speaking of population center, I'm right smack in the middle of one. Some advantages, some disadvantages, like most things.
  • wagnerwagner Member Posts: 40 Member
    I wish it were only that expensive here (NYC). I bought 40 rounds of 180gr Federal Hydra-Shok (.40 cal) this afternoon @ $70, not including tax. And this is not even my load of choice...

Beyond the obnoxious pricing here, you should see the reactions you get from shop owners (if you can find a shop) when you ask, as a civilian, for hollow points. I get the same bizarre, "Look at that guy who just walked out of a space ship" reaction every time. Even more so when I actually express some kind of a preference for a specific ammo. The shop folks cannot seem to fathom why on earth anyone would not want whatever box of crap (they seem always to have only one or two boxes of 20 rounds, and never the same ammo twice in two visits) they happen to have sitting on the shelf, which is invariably 180gr somethingorother.

This has got to be the strangest, most frustrating place on earth for a gun enthusiast. I've concluded that I'm going to need to travel upstate some distance in order to get hold of a decent stock of ammo that I actually like. At the moment, getting enough of any particular ammo to actually test it/practice with it and keep some stock on hand is just about impossible. Sorry for the unrelated rant...
    wagner:
    I hate it when shop owners tell you what you want instead of having a choice available for you.

Welcome aboard.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    wagner wrote: »
    I wish it were only that expensive here (NYC). I bought 40 rounds of 180gr Federal Hydra-Shok (.40 cal) this afternoon @ $70, not including tax. And this is not even my load of choice...

Beyond the obnoxious pricing here, you should see the reactions you get from shop owners (if you can find a shop) when you ask, as a civilian, for hollow points. I get the same bizarre, "Look at that guy who just walked out of a space ship" reaction every time. Even more so when I actually express some kind of a preference for a specific ammo. The shop folks cannot seem to fathom why on earth anyone would not want whatever box of crap (they seem always to have only one or two boxes of 20 rounds, and never the same ammo twice in two visits) they happen to have sitting on the shelf, which is invariably 180gr somethingorother.

This has got to be the strangest, most frustrating place on earth for a gun enthusiast. I've concluded that I'm going to need to travel upstate some distance in order to get hold of a decent stock of ammo that I actually like. At the moment, getting enough of any particular ammo to actually test it/practice with it and keep some stock on hand is just about impossible. Sorry for the unrelated rant...

I lived in NYC, I used to buy all My ammo on Long Island cheaper and no requirement other than a drivers licence.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    The online ammunition stores have been my source of SD ammo. I would rather pay $25 for a box of 50, than pay $20-25 for a box of 25 at some local shop.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I would too, but I suddenly needed a box of premium ammo right now.......
  • wagnerwagner Member Posts: 40 Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I lived in NYC, I used to buy all My ammo on Long Island cheaper and no requirement other than a drivers licence.

Thanks for the tip! I don't know why LI didn't occur to me. I was thinking I'd eventually have to take a trip upstate and find a Walmart or something. LI would be much easier.
  • R.D.WYLIER.D.WYLIE New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    You might want to price a box of CORBON'S for 45 AUTO THEY ARE 34.50 A BOX FOR 20 luckilly I only use those for defense
    also you might want to look int the WIN PDX'S they are more reasonable about $ 28.00 for 20 we can thank OBAMA FOR THAT!!
    I sencierly apologize I used my prices local not at AT LGS
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    R.D.WYLIE wrote: »
    we can thank OBAMA FOR THAT!!

Huh? Please expound upon this revelation...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    Top shelf PD ammo ain't cheap, that's for sure. I religiously load Buffalo Bore 158 grain +P LSWCHP in my .38's, because I think it's the best performing load out there in that caliber. But, on the flip side, I'm not really convinced any one .45ACP or .40SW load is that much better than another, and I don't have a problem loading the Winchester White Box "Personal Defense" offerings. They aren't bonded, but that's not really an issue for me.