Home Main Category General Firearms

CMP should be glad Trump is President..........

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,106 Senior Member
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/86000-vintage-m1-garand-rifles-may-come-sale-us.html
86,000 Vintage M1 Garand Rifles May Come up for Sale in the US

The Philippines may be shipping 86,000 M1 Garand rifles to the US which will be made available to the US public through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). The rifles were mostly manufactured prior to 1957 and are considered highly collectible. The program will use the proceeds from the potential sale to fund their operations.

The CMP is a federally chartered non-profit corporation which promotes firearms safety and training. It hosts a number of marksmanship competitions across the country.

The CMP receives most of its funding from the sale of surplus military firearms, donated to the organization by the Army. Due to limitations on the return of firearms from overseas allies which were put in place by the Obama administration, the number of guns available to sell has been limited.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,323 Senior Member
    They are supposedly getting a bunch of GI 1911's as well.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Isn't there also a big stockpile of Garands and M-1 carbines in South Korea? Of course, they might just want to hang onto them if the nutjob up north keeps doing stupid stuff!
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,110 Senior Member
    We're still waiting...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,212 Senior Member
    They are supposedly getting a bunch of GI 1911's as well.

A gun shop owner mentioned that a couple of weeks ago. Except he didn't mention CMP. He just said some 45's were gonna be for sale soon.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    CMP has no clue when or if they are getting 1911s. It will be years before those M1s hit the shelves. They have a few guys go through each one. It would be great if they had matching numbers.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Isn't finding a "matching number" Garand about as likely as getting a chicken with lips from Col. Sanders? Virtually all of them got arsenal refurbished at least once, and about the only thing "matching" would be the date on the barrel corresponding to a particular serial number range. To the best of my knowledge, no US rifles were serial numbered like Mausers where every piece had a portion of the receiver number on it. Some Garand and 03 Springfield inspectors' cartouches were extremely rare, which upped the value of some rifles.
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,364 Senior Member
    In my opinion finding one would be like finding a needle in a hay stack 30 foot tall. Yes, they got refurbished at an arsenal. Most will at least at some point get a new barrel, and at the very least a new gas tube or some other external part. When the military re-issued them they had been gone over and any worn or defective part replaced. Anything in excellent shape was probably picked up by some VIP so the ones that are in the CPM's possession now have been refurbished.

My personal one has a Winchester Receiver but being made in 1942, no telling what else. It's a mix of parts. My dad's which he left to my youngest son and resides in my safe is closer to original being made in 1944 or 45. I don't think it ever saw hard use. I wish I had a history of both of those old war horses.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.