Home Main Category General Firearms

Pistol Caliber Carbine Summary - Marlin Camp 9, FX-9, and ATI Milsport

conquest87tsiconquest87tsi New MemberPosts: 5 New Member
I couldn't find much on forums about PCCs back when I was researching so I thought I would share a little that I have experienced with them.

Over the past few years I have grow quite fond of 9mm carbines. I started with a Marlin Camp 9mm. I ended up adding a rail and peep sight. Also had to replace recoil spring and buffer. Very nice shooting rifle out to 100m. Only problem is that they are a little difficult to disassemble for a thorough cleaning.

I then purchased a ATI Milsport 9mm carbine from Sportsmans Guide for roughly $750 in Oct of 2016 while I was oversees, with the carbine sitting at the FFL until I returned home in June. Well, come March I notice that classicfireams.com has the Freedom Arms FX-9 listed for $599. At that price I figured it was worth a try. So I ended up having both the FX-9 and ATI sitting at the FFL.

I got out last week to shoot both the ATI and FX-9 for the first time and shoot the Marlin for comparison. I shot Glock, SGM, ETS, PMAG, and Korean magazines with and without Wolff springs with the ATI and FX-9. I shot 100 ea of 115 gr Winchester white box and 115 gr Remington UMC through each carbine. I started off with the FX-9. I initially appreciated the added features of the Freedoms m arms carbine like the bolt hold open and heavy barrel. The FX-9 and ATI both ate all 200 rds without one FTF. Shoots soft. Both carbine sighted in easily at 50 yards with fixed picitinni rail iron sights. All magazines tested shot fine as well. I had no failures to feed or fire and all ammunition had been purchased within a week of firing. The ATI seemed to eject brass in more consistently locations as far as brass collecting. Both are straight blow back design and both showed a considerate amount of I burnt powder in the chamber and bore. I would bet that a load could be made for the carbines that burns for effectively in a carbine. I got a 115 gr up 1525 f/s on Long Shot in the Marlin.

Both the Freedom Arms FX-9 and ATI shot equally well with 3" groups at 50yds. Both carbines were fairly straight forward to disassemble for cleaning. I had an easier time removing the extractor and cleaning bolt components on the ATI compared to the FX-9 mostly due to the proximity and quantity of pins holding the components in the bolt. Both carbines have certain features that distinguish it from the other, but not necessarily better. I still haven't figured out which one I prefer. The FX-9 does have a smoother, handier hand gaurd and a heavier barrel, but the ATI is well balanced and is a well thought out and robust design. I do prefer both new carbines to the Marlin mostly due to the ease of cleaning and changing optics. I have put another 100 rounds through the FX-9 with no hickups with a glock and PMAGS magazines.

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Howdy, so you like guns? I like beer.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • conquest87tsiconquest87tsi New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    Oh wait... Is this a beer forum? I'm kind of new to forums.
    Oh wait... Is this a beer forum? I'm kind of new to forums.
    Beer, guns, BS it all depends on the person, place or time...... welcome. Join in there are some guys around here that like the sun guns.
    let me starts over:

Over the past few years I have become quite fond of India Pale Ales. It all started with Deuchates Fresh Squeezed. I didn't know beer could have so much flavor. Soon a perfectly good Grain Belt wouldn't even suffice. Now if it doesn't have 19 different blends of hops, I can't touch it.
    Beer snob!:tooth: I like good beer, IPA or whatever. Had a Fat Tire from New Belgium and a Tartrastic from same with dinner.
    Sub gun......stupid phone keyboard.......
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Were I in the market for a rifle chambered in a pistol caliber, I would buy a KelTec Sub 2000. They're listed on Gunbroker.com for under $400 and that's including shipping. If I wanted a rifle chambered in a revolver caliber, I'd find a Marlin 1894 or Henry Steel in .357Magnum/.38Special.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    let me starts over:

Over the past few years I have become quite fond of India Pale Ales. It all started with Deuchates Fresh Squeezed. I didn't know beer could have so much flavor. Soon a perfectly good Grain Belt wouldn't even suffice. Now if it doesn't have 19 different blends of hops, I can't touch it.

Welcome hey, Grain Belt Premium is an excellent "light" beer. I got pistol carbine on the brain and Palmetto has my attention, gotta finish some stuff first though.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I'm with you on the Marlin and Henry. Fast calibers like the .357 respond well to carbine barrels. Lighter 9mm seems to like it too. I see less increase out of say a .45 LC carbine like the Rossi revolver.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Welcome and good report. I've heard good things about the ATI from a serious steel challenge shooter. I was considering a CZ but my understanding is the mags don't drop out freely. PSA sells one for under 600 when they have a sale going on. How is the trigger on the ATI?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    I get the pistol caliber thing, but if the rifle cant use the same bullets as your pistol, whats the point?

That's exactly the point. The rifle duzzint use the same bullets. The rifle, chambered in a rifle caliber, provides a levels of accuracy, range, penetration, and terminal energy far beyond that available from your pistol, and sometimes, that's just what the doctor ordered - stronger medicine. As for carrying a rifle chambered in a pistol caliber other than your sidearm - you're right - that needs a re-think.

I suggested a KelTec Sub2000 for its fold-up compact portability, light weight, and magazine compatibility with many popular handguns. Yes, the longer rifle barrel will enhance the pistol caliber's performance somewhat. But AR platforms in pistol calibers are the wrong way to go - they weigh as much as AR15s in .223 or .300 Blackout and I'd rather have 30 rounds of that than 30 more rounds of any handgun caliber.

Magnum revolver calibers in rifles seem to enjoy a much more enhanced performance than pistol calibers in autoloaders. A Marlin or Henry lever gun will accurately propel a .357 Magnum 125 grain bullet at ~2000 FPS - very formidable.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Had a Camp 9 years ago, sold it like a moron. It was fun. Wouldn't mind another PC, probably end up building one off a Glock.

Beer? Gross, who drinks that nasty swill?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,892 Senior Member
    Had a Camp 9 years ago, sold it like a moron. It was fun. Wouldn't mind another PC, probably end up building one off a Glock.

Beer? Gross, who drinks that nasty swill?

Picked up a real nice marlin camp 9 a while back and have to say, it's a hoot to shoot.
    This is another one that came from my dad's collection:
    [IMG][/img]
    IMG_0570_zpstgjqo9jf.jpg

Ruger 99-44 carbine. Kind of the big dawg in pistol caliber carbines. I had it's predecessor years ago and foolishly traded it off. Can't wait to wring this one out.

Sako
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    That's exactly the point. The rifle duzzint use the same bullets. The rifle, chambered in a rifle caliber, provides a levels of accuracy, range, penetration, and terminal energy far beyond that available from your pistol, and sometimes, that's just what the doctor ordered - stronger medicine. As for carrying a rifle chambered in a pistol caliber other than your sidearm - you're right - that needs a re-think.

I suggested a KelTec Sub2000 for its fold-up compact portability, light weight, and magazine compatibility with many popular handguns. Yes, the longer rifle barrel will enhance the pistol caliber's performance somewhat. But AR platforms in pistol calibers are the wrong way to go - they weigh as much as AR15s in .223 or .300 Blackout and I'd rather have 30 rounds of that than 30 more rounds of any handgun caliber.

Magnum revolver calibers in rifles seem to enjoy a much more enhanced performance than pistol calibers in autoloaders. A Marlin or Henry lever gun will accurately propel a .357 Magnum 125 grain bullet at ~2000 FPS - very formidable.

All guns are not necessarily intended to be used against flesh. You can shoot a 9mm carbine for 1/3 the cost with less fatigue in many more places than you can a .223. As bad as many cops shoot, it may not be a bad thing they have a less powerful round. Less collateral damage. Plus they are just plain fun.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    Years ago I bought a cheap buy ugly HiPoint 9mm carbine. It's as ugly as home made sin, but reliable. It's also a hoot to shoot.

Anyway, welcome to the funny farm. Based on the posts I've seen from you so far, I think you'll fit in just fine.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    That hi point sure is ugly, but its fun!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    I am a HUGE fan of pistol caliber carbines. I have a whole pile of them including a Marlin Camp 45 (no, you can't buy it), a KelTec sub 2000, lever guns, an Uzi, single shots, etc.....

Personally, I am considering a CZ Scorpion or an AR pistol in .45 ACP as my next one
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Join the club! I've got a .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 Colt (all Marlins), and an old ('82) Ruger .44 mag semi-auto. The Marlins are MOA with the right ammo.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug