Home Main Category General Firearms

45 Colt rifle loads

gunner81gunner81 MemberPosts: 414 Member
Anyone loading for a 45 Colt rifle I just got a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt and want to do some loading for it. I can't find anything other than pistol loads and my 45 Colt pistol is a Ruger Blackhawk so from what I read on here it can handle some of the hotter loads too

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Check with Henry customer service to see if their rifle is able to handle "Ruger-only" loads. (It probably is). If it's a new rifle, your owner's manual will probably indicate what kind of ammo they prefer to feed it.
    Jerry
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    I doubt they are going to say yes to hand loaded ammunition.

Found this from Henry.

" Thank you for your interest in Henry. The rate of twist is 1:38. This does not matter for the larger rounds as our Big boy rifles are not made to be able to safely or properly feed rounds with bullet weights over 270 gr. Our Big Boy's can handle all the +P pressure out there even Big Buffalo Bore ammunition as long as the rounds are not to big (over 270 gr.) to feed through the action."
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    How you like that Henry? I was looking at their site yesterday and admiring the selection they have to offer.

I have a couple booklets (One Caliber) that list "Loads for Rifles Only" for .44 and .357 I don't own any booklets for .45 Colt and older reloading manuals showing loads for Ruger revolvers and TC only.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 414 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    How you like that Henry? I was looking at their site yesterday and admiring the selection they have to offer.

I have a couple booklets (One Caliber) that list "Loads for Rifles Only" for .44 and .357 I don't own any booklets for .45 Colt and older reloading manuals showing loads for Ruger revolvers and TC only.

I just got it the other day and it hasn't made it to the farm yet if it compares to the golden boy 22 I have I will be happy. I will say this though that it was the dirtiest new gun that I ever cleaned
    Teach wrote: »
    Check with Henry customer service to see if their rifle is able to handle "Ruger-only" loads. (It probably is). If it's a new rifle, your owner's manual will probably indicate what kind of ammo they prefer to feed it.
    Jerry
    Maybe I mis spoke a little I don't think I'll be running real hot loads but I read that the Ruger will take a better pounding than most other 45 Colts out there I think this gun is just for fun shooting I'm not sure about useing it for deer hunting but nothing is for ever
    My Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible handles 300 grain hard casts at 1300 FPS with no apparent problems, and has done so for several years. With the ACP cylinder in it, +P 230 grain loads are what I consider to be powder puff plinkers.
    Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,688 Senior Member
    By and large, not a fan of vastly differing loads in the same caliber, unless you have a fool-proof means of making sure a "fire-breather" loaded for "x" doesn't end up in "y", which can't handle it.

Otherwise, I'd pick the load you like in the one you use the most, and see how it works in the other. One load to remember/keep in-stock, and no concerns about, "is this the rifle, or the pistol load?"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,564 Senior Member
    Have fun with it.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    The load will be for both just thinking out loud but the pistol is strong so I could do some hotter loads that should be safe in the rifle also. I already did some loading for the pistol but no where near hot after reading the article on 45 loads on here I think I may step it up a bit but not max per the article just a fun shooter for now but you never know what the future might hold
    knitepoet wrote: »
    By and large, not a fan of vastly differing loads in the same caliber, unless you have a fool-proof means of making sure a "fire-breather" loaded for "x" doesn't end up in "y", which can't handle it.

Otherwise, I'd pick the load you like in the one you use the most, and see how it works in the other. One load to remember/keep in-stock, and no concerns about, "is this the rifle, or the pistol load?"
    no intention of hitting that mark if I do make some hot loads for 1 or the other it will be well IDed
    Here's an article that is an attention-getter about just how warm a .45 Colt can be loaded. Just be sure the gun is up to the task of handling these loads. No Peacemaker clones or late model Ruger Vaqueros need to apply! Most S&W's are also a little on the light side for some of these hotrod loads, as well.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=5

Jerry
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,366 Senior Member
    Hmmm, looks pretty close.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.