Home Main Category General Firearms

Difference bewteen Hornady V-Max and Z-Max bullets

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Besides on Zombies....................:jester:

I often see folks saying there is none except the color of the tips. Then I found a forum where a fellow cut one down the middle from tip to base and the jackets are noticeably thicker on the Z-Max and they use a different kind of plating process to form the jacket over the core.

Have any of you reloaded and fired any Z-Maxes and compared them to V-Max bullets (of the same weight) and noticed any difference on the range?
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    The difference is-- just the tip.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Externally they sure look the same except for the color of the tip.

Well the Z-Maxes usually sold for a bit cheaper and they use a process called AMP jacket technology.

I saw where someone explained AMP is more of a plating process and the jackets are formed using it and not punched out from a solid piece or something like that.

Scroll down and look at the cut-away the jackets are thicker on the Z-Max bullet.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2470119
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Someone measured all the external dimensions and weighed them......same as A-Max far as he could tell.

Just curious about results on the range.

I think they have dropped the Z-Max line, but some are still out there in #500 paks for a decent price.
    Maybe they use AMP on all bullets these days, I dunno. Advanced Manufacturing Technology.
    Maybe the real noticeable difference would be from you guys that hunt and may have noticed if they expand slower/faster and penetrate more or less on game. Then again unless they really violently expand with very shallow penetration or over penetrate and the two animals shot were identical and hit in the same exact spot, well even then variables and all.

I don't think the holes in a paper target will look any different. :tooth:

Maybe the group size or POI compared to an A-Max loaded exactly the same and fired from the same rifle.

Long range shooters may be able to discern a difference?
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,857 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Besides on Zombies....................:jester:

I often see folks saying there is none except the color of the tips. Then I found a forum where a fellow cut one down the middle from tip to base and the jackets are noticeably thicker on the Z-Max and they use a different kind of plating process to form the jacket over the core.

Have any of you reloaded and fired any Z-Maxes and compared them to V-Max bullets (of the same weight) and noticed any difference on the range?

I don't know about today but when the Z-Max where first being advertised I sent an email to Hornady asking them about their promotional Ad featuring Zombie Max bullets. I asked if this was a real bullet or just some promotional gag since it was around October of 2011-12 somewhere. I can't be sure of the date, it was a ways back. To my surprise, they sent me a reply saying these were the V-Max bullet colored green sitting on loaded ammo. They told me it was the same offering as their Critical Defense line and would be available soon.

If they've changed their manufacturing techniques since then it wouldn't surprise me but I suspect they would do it to both the V-Max and Z-Max line. The problem I see would be knowing the manufacturing dates between the two samples you choose to examine.

Just my 2 cents. :beer:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain