Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

This could quickly get "interesting"

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,861 Senior Member
After a US F-18 shot down a Syrian fighter, Russia says it will treat US, coalition jets as targets

http://www.businessinsider.com/after-a-us-f-18-shot-down-a-syrian-fighter-russia-says-it-will-treat-us-coalition-jets-as-targets-2017-6

Let's hope cooler heads prevail and we don't end up in a war with the Russians
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    I think it's just a matter of time until the entire world explodes in war. Far too many hatreds and hostilities these days. The down side is that nukes will be a factor, not that war is a good thing anyway.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Assuming a Syrian pilot was flying the jet that got splashed, not much other than a bunch of threats will get exchanged. If there was a Russian pilot in the plane, things could get a bit sticky. From initial reports, the pilot ignored a couple of warnings to back off, and did some bombing before he was shot down. Looks like a case of terminal stupidity to me!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    This is a repeat of a bad situation. We blew up some Russian backed rebels that were attacking our coalition forces and American troops were present 'advising'. Russia was supposed to have stopped coordinating back then. Now a Syrian jet that was bombing American backed coalition forces gets an air to air missile enema, and the Russians have their nose out of joint, again.

You need a scorecard and a PERT diagram to keep up with the assortment of rebels and who is backing them, and where they are and who they are fighting at any moment in time in Syria. Integral calculus would be a piece of cake compared to that.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    There four groups of pilots I would not want to go up against, - USAF, US NAVY, RAF, or IDF. If I'm a Russian, Syrian, Iranian, or anything else, I'm taking a vacation day or calling in sick.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Russia ain't gonna do sheet. Turkey shot down a Russian and all they did was talk crap. Putin may be stupid but he ain't dumb.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,761 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    There four groups of pilots I would not want to go up against, - USAF, US NAVY, RAF, or IDF. If I'm a Russian, Syrian, Iranian, or anything else, I'm taking a vacation day or calling in sick.

The IDF would not have wasted a missile, they like to get up close and personal and put a few 20MM's in the tail pipe!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I watched a TV special last night about the British Spitfire ace who took the tracers out of his ammo so he could deep-six an enemy plane without them knowing he was even in the neighborhood. I believe American ace Joe Foss did the same thing. Back in the days of flying low and slow, without radar, with nothing but machine guns or maybe a small bore cannon or two, fighter pilots had to have a wheelbarrow to haul their 'personal equipment" around. These days air combat is almost a 3-dimensional video game. It still takes a special breed of warrior to strap a supersonic blowtorch on his butt and let the whole world shoot at him!
    :usa:
    Jerry
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I keep saying we took the wrong side in the Syrian battle.

I will say it again, we chose to arm extremists advocating to overthrow a legitimate government, while fighting a separate branch of those extremist in another country. This would be like funding FARC in Venezuela, while fighting them in Columbia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member

I will say it again, we chose to arm extremists advocating to overthrow a legitimate government, while fighting a separate branch of those extremist in another country. This would be like funding FARC in Venezuela, while fighting them in Columbia.
    Unfortunately, you are probably correct
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    I think it's just a matter of time until the entire world explodes in war. Far too many hatreds and hostilities these days.

:silly::silly:Oh no, we are on the "Eve of Destruction".:silly::silly:

Cue for an old song.............errr no.

Were you around in the late '50's early '60's?

The '70's?
    The '80's?
    The '90's?
    What of the peaceful 2000's?

You are older than 17 years, yes?
    The down side is that nukes will be a factor...........

From August 1953 onwards.

Such melancholia.

Roll the darn film;

A protest song written by P. F. Sloan in mid-1964.
    But Iran and Russia were backing Asad. He was the friend of our enemies, so we had to oppose him...

Yeah, because they knew what Asad knew. At the time, Syria was the next target for the Islamic Brotherhood's "Arab Spring". That is why Asad came down with the hammer on the first protesters. He did not want to see his country turn into Libya or even Egypt. But like many of the foreign policies decisions made in the last 8 years, they couldn't read the lay of the land and completely blew the call.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »

Roll the darn film;

A protest song written by P. F. Sloan in mid-1964.
    I would come back from a mission and get drunk listening to that
    thanks for the refresher.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN wrote: »
    I would come back from a mission and get drunk listening to that
    thanks for the refresher.

It is absolutely amazing the difference between then and now. I couldn't even begin to think of how Iraq could have been if we could have gone into the "Ville" or had a drink after missions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Obama's admin chose that side. Of course when Assad used chemical weapons Trump got pissed at him. So we would have ended up here anyway. Sometimes I don't know if there's a right or wrong side.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    But Obama's admin chose that side. Of course when Assad used chemical weapons Trump got pissed at him. So we would have ended up here anyway. Sometimes I don't know if there's a right or wrong side.

It is hard to fathom "what ifs" and other hypotheticals, however I maintain Assad would not have had to use chemicals if we were on his side. We could have helped manage responses and leverage appropriate choices, and he would have only been fighting rebels...not Rebels, ISIS, and the US.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    Turning around decades of foreign policy is easier said than done. I generally agree that shifting at least neutral foreign stance towards Iran and Russia, but the default is to oppose pretty much anything and everything they do and it's rare we turn down a chance to weaken one of their proxies.

Get out from behind the desk and keyboard, stop reading what others write and go live, eat, sleep and fight with the people there. Then come back and give your opinion of what the right thing do do is.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    It is hard to fathom "what ifs" and other hypotheticals, however I maintain Assad would not have had to use chemicals if we were on his side. We could have helped manage responses and leverage appropriate choices, and he would have only been fighting rebels...not Rebels, ISIS, and the US.

You're right about us backing the wrong side. If, IF, we'd backed Assad when the trouble started it would have avoided the present mess. The Obama admin backed the 'rebels' fighting Assad that we have been fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams

Yeah, very true.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Obama backed all the wrong ones. We knew for ages that a strong arm was necessary to control the minions there in that part of the world. Mabarak was our ally and Obama threw him to the dogs. Qaddafi had been a bad guy in the past but when Reagan got through kicking his ass around the desert he was partly tamed. And he helped keep peace in the region and Obama and the gang threw him to the wolves too. Everything Obummer did was counter to peace in the region, then he gave Iran the keys to the car and let them have the money and means to develop a nuclear device. Now Trump is charged with straightening the mess out, if he can.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    If Obama had had ANY kind of policy that made sense in the region the Russians would have kept out of there in the first place.

Obama's policy to keep them out of the region in the first place?

Neither here nor there.

They have been there for quite some time.

It all started in the late 1400's mid 1500's, gaining control of the steppe from the Muslims.( Yes the very same.)

Come the mid 1700's and they moved in on the Ottomans.

Gaining and losing control of the Black and Caspian Seas , centralizing on the Crimea, and the Azov Sea coastal region, modern-day Ukraine. ( Yes, who would have thought?)

The Treaty of Paris, 1856, slowed them down somewhat.
    The French and British coming to the aid of the Ottomans, a Muslim Empire. :yikes:

I could go on but I think you see my drift.

And best of all they now have a new Czar to rule them again.

How does it go now?

"An Emperor needs attractive imperial prizes to be seized."

PS.
    We did manage to keep them out of Afghanistan for some time, it secured British India. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement