Home Main Category General Firearms

Ear Muff advise

JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII MemberPosts: 156 Member
I am looking to buy a set of ear muffs that both protect your hearing and allow you to still hear. They muffle the sound of the shot if it is too loud. I understand Walker makes a good set. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,515 Senior Member
    Here is a review that's pretty good. Buy the best you can afford. I've got three pairs of less-expensive muffs and can't really tell the difference...but then I'm a hearing aid wearer. One advantage to electronic muffs is I can hear better with them on than I can with them off.

http://www.guns.com/review/best-electronic-muffs/
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I replaced my old Peltor 6s last year that I had since the late 90's. I tried the Leights and some others but settled on these because the fit ...

https://smile.amazon.com/Peltor-Electronic-Hearing-Protector-Tactical/dp/B00NAG4WX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497828305&sr=8-1&keywords=peltor%2Bhearing%2Bprotection&th=1&psc=1

The Leights felt "longer" and not quite as comfortable and the Peltors fit me better especially when wearing glasses. As stated above I double up with plugs often ... when a tank brake is beside me, when I am unfortunately shooting indoors, etc because tinnitus is no fun and hearing is precious.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,515 Senior Member
    Hearing is like virginity...once lost and can't be restored in any natural sense. I've become pretty good at reading lips and with traces of voices I can make do. I've suffered tinnitus for so long it can be pretty well ignored. For you guys with good ears, I highly recommend you double up with plugs on ear protection, which ain't good for electronic muffs, I guess, kinda defeats the purpose.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    I just ordered a set of Howard Leights, for $36.40, on sale at Amazon. I have used a set of Caldwells for several years, and they are still fine. I gave about $38 for them, and at the time that was about the cheapest set out there. The Howard Leights I ordered used to be around $60, and have very good reviews. They have a thinner profile, which is better for rifle shooting from a bench, and individual speakers which let you hear amplified conversation and determine which direction it's coming from.

Electronic is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,475 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I just ordered a set of Howard Leights, for $36.40, on sale at Amazon. I have used a set of Caldwells for several years, and they are still fine. I gave about $38 for them, and at the time that was about the cheapest set out there. The Howard Leights I ordered used to be around $60, and have very good reviews. They have a thinner profile, which is better for rifle shooting from a bench, and individual speakers which let you hear amplified conversation and determine which direction it's coming from.

Electronic is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.

I have been using them for about 4 years now. Wambli posted about them and ever since it is all that I use. You wont be disappointed
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,680 Senior Member
    I have used Howard Leight Sports for years and have been pleased. Unless hunting, I also double up with foam ear plugs (a jug of 50 pair goes for $10 at my local drug store).

If I were buying electronic ear protection today, however, I would buy the Howard Leight Pros. Though they are clunky, 30db reduction is well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007BGSI5U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497843779&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=howard%2Bleight%2Bpro&dpPl=1&dpID=412xe%2B2UTkL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

As a side note I am considering splurging on a pair of Pro Ears Gold. You can only lose your hearing once. Buy once, cry once.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Surprisingly, the low level sound amplification still works when doubled up with ear plugs.

Yep, just turn the volume all the way up.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that. My old Howard Leighs are starting to get a little ratty (they have a LOT of miles on them) and I've been thinking of going to their Pros for my next pair. That's a good price on Amazon!

I'm on my second pair of sports, but I only got a new pair because they started offering colors. Now that there are 28-30db reduction models I will probably upgrade again and keep the Sports as loaners or for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I use the Sport too.............I must like them and even walked off unintentionally with Wamblis sons pair at a SE Shoot a couple years ago thinking they were mine. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    I have since marked mine with BC with a Sharpie.........

I'm liking what I see with these full sized ones and the 30db reduction. The Sport ones work well for me IF I get them adjusted just right to fit my noggin. Sometimes if I collapse them for storage and then put them back on at the range I have to readjust them and only know after firing started if I have them right and tight.

The cheaper Caldwells work good, but the electronics seem to Hiss/Crackle after a few months and the fit causes the wind to be amplified like in TX where it is strong.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,746 Senior Member
    The number used by ear muff companies to sell their wares is not a dB value. In fact, it's called an NRR (Noise Reduction Rating.) To get an idea of the amount of reduction you can expect to get from an NRR number, you first subtract 7 from the NRR then divide by 2. So a NRR of 22 will actually be a 7.5dB reduction.

If you "double up" by wearing plugs and muffs, you should know that you are not adding up the NRR values for both devices. The way it works is that you should add about 5 to the NRR of the highest reduction of the two and then go through the calculation about. So, if your muffs provide an NRR of 22 and you plugs provide an NRR of 24, combining the two provides and NRR of 29, not 46 as some people think.

The decibel scale is a logarithmic one, and an increase of 3 represents a doubling of the sound level. An increase of 10 represents a tenfold increase in sound level.

I've tried any number of earplugs, muffs, etc. My current one is a set of Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag gold.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OC5XJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

They have an NRR of 30, among the highest for electronic earmuffs. They are a little spendy but they are amazing. When I get to the range for a competition, I will put them on before the first round is fired downrange and will take them off several hours later when the last round as gone down and shooting is complete for the day. They are very comfortable and they provide me with bionic hearing on the range. If I help call the line or something, I can hear requests all the way up and down the line from anywhere on the line. When I shoot, I will almost turn off the pickup on the left and reduce the one on the right so I can communicate with my scorer and ignore everyone else.

I should have found those years and decades ago. There have been too many times where I had removed the muffs because they were uncomfortable or I could not follow a conversation away from the line, only to be surprised by a shot without hearing protection on. Tinnitus is part of my life now, but these muffs are protecting what I have left of my hearing.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,771 Senior Member
    I am looking to buy a set of ear muffs that both protect your hearing and allow you to still hear. They muffle the sound of the shot if it is too loud. I understand Walker makes a good set. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Get what you can afford or feel comfortable paying but remember it's your hearing that we're talking about.
    The Howard Leight work pretty well and won't set you back too much.

Here's something you might help you in your decision.

http://www.coopersafety.com/earplugs-noise-reduction
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,539 Senior Member
    I use Howard Leight's Leightning 3s; they work great, and were inexpensive.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII Member Posts: 156 Member
    Thanks for the advise. I am planning using these earmuffs for rifle and shotgun hunting am leaning towards Howard leight impact pro NPR 30 or possibly one of the peltor brand
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Mine arrived today - Howard Leight Sports - exactly what I was looking for. Good quality and comfortable, with a thinner profile and better directional sound pickup, higher volume than the Caldwells.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Do the Howard Leight Sports have individual volume controls? I have Walkers and Peltors they both have them. My hearing is better in my right ear than it is in my left.