Home Main Category General Firearms

How is the Quality of New "Remlin" Marlin Guns?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,703 Senior Member
The title says it all. I am thinking about snagging a Marlin 1895 SBL in .45-70 and taking advantage of the $100 mail in rebate that Remington is offering right now.

My main hold up is the poor QC coming from Remington lately, especially in the Marlin brand. I've heard that it's been cleaned up a bit, but since I will probably have to order the gun and thus not be able to inspect it in person prior to purchase. Have the issues mostly been ironed out to where if I order a new one I can, for the most part, rest assured that it will be of acceptable quality?

My ultimate end game for this gun would be to loosely recreate the gun Chris Pratt's character uses in "Jurassic World." I'm not kidding, I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan but the only other even remotely iconic gun from the series is the SPAS-12 from the first one. This is the next best option. I would be using a regular eye relief optic in Leopold QD rings instead of an improperly mounted LER optic in cheesy "see through" rings.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    Your local Wal-Mart or lgs might have a 30-30 You could look at. Not the same I know, but should be similar
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well several folks fired mine up at the SE Shoot last month maybe they will opine on my 1895 4 shot model. It looks good to me, but not as good as the older ones from 20 years ago or more, neither do any other makes. I am no lever gun expert by any stretch...................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,010 Senior Member
    When I bought my henry, the Marlin next to it on the shelf at cabelas had some proud screws and poor wood to steel figment. The action was pretty rough as well.

No idea if it was older or newer, but it pushed me to the Henry.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Hondo fired mine at the range a while back, I dunno if he gave it a close gander or not. Nomadic got one about the same time I did on clearance at Walmart..............

Be sure to do a Gallery of Guns search within 50 miles or whatever online prices can vary over 100 bucks or more on the same model guns from stores in the same towns. Sunshine State Armory in Zephyrhills looks to be consistently cheaper than most on Rugers and Marlins, all I've looked at.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    My ultimate end game for this gun would be to loosely recreate the gun Chris Pratt's character uses in "Jurassic World." I'm not kidding, I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan but the only other even remotely iconic gun from the series is the SPAS-12 from the first one. This is the next best option. I would be using a regular eye relief optic in Leopold QD rings instead of an improperly mounted LER optic in cheesy "see through" rings.

This?

Jurassic-World-Close-up-rifle-2.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    He has it cocked strapped on his back............???? They do have a cross-bolt safety but still............oh well huntin giant lizards........................
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    No worries, safety's on:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    My SIL Steve is a tool room machinist at Remington. I believe they're in the process of moving the Marlin production line to Huntsville, or maybe they already have. I'll ask him how QC is doing.
    Jerry
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,571 Senior Member
    Way better than they were, not as good as they used to be. Mine is pretty decent.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    My last trip to the shop in Benton,TN about a month ago, I handled a few Marlin lever guns. They had a couple of different model Marlin .45-70s on the rack. I worked the action on both and looked at fit and finish, and was not impressed. Gritty action, proud wood, and overall not what I would expect. My older Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 pre crossbolt safety is smooth as glass, and all wood and metal fitting is sweet. They need to take care of some problems, still, IMHO.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Way better than they were, not as good as they used to be.

This. The last couple new ones I handled were *almost* as good as older models for fitment of the wood. Good looking wood too. Actions were NOT as smooth though.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,549 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That's what I've seen. Better, but still not impressed.

Maybe by the time I can afford one.......
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Well several folks fired mine up at the SE Shoot last month maybe they will opine on my 1895 4 shot model. It looks good to me, but not as good as the older ones from 20 years ago or more, neither do any other makes. I am no lever gun expert by any stretch...................

Yours looked just fine, and fired even better.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    From personal experience, I would say "Roll the dice, and if you have problems, use one of the warranty centers, rather than the factory itself"

My dad got one of the early Remlin 1895's. Was REALLY accurate out of the box, but we went from having sporadic click-and-no-bang to constant click-and-no-bang and the stock started cracking. The factory repair center in NorCal went above and beyond with fitting the locking surfaces and better wood than it came with. So the good news is that the Big Green Machine will stand by their customers in the event of a screw-up.

Been fondling a .45C 1894 Cowboy with thoughts of it being a companion to my Redhawk. Seems to be a nice gun, but you never truly know for sure until you start popping rounds. Probably would be worth reconning the CAS forums for reviews. Yeah, they're only running them with pop-loads, but they're running them A LOT.

Whatever the current QC situation, one advantage to the newer guns is that they don't have Micro-Groove barrels and are more likely to be cast-bullet friendly. I couldn't fathom having a .45-70 and only shooting copper through it. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Chief that don't look half bad at all. I wonder does anybody make a 95 in .405 Win.? Bully Bully!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Who in the HELL ARE YOU?
    You? Of ALL PEOPLE talking about buying a lever gun?

Even drinking FBD knows this ain't right. What the hell has happened to you?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I saw a few lever rifles in Walmart yesterday. A Henry, I think a Rossi (LLC something or the other?) and a Marlin. .45 Colt and .357. The Marlin .45 Colt was the 6 shot carbine version, but I'd want a 20" that holds 10 and the full length feed tube. I wanna say 5, 6 and in the $700s for the Rossi, Marlin and Henry.

I kinda like the all steel Henrys and the Marlin with the octagonal bbl 1894CB and the regular round bbl one which has Ballard rifling. I dunno if the CB one has micro grooving or Ballard???
    Better hurry if you want the $100 rebate on Marlins and buy by July 30. Postmarked in by Aug 30th. :tooth:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/sites/default/files/Marlin_Rifle%20Rebates_Long%20Form.pdf
    Those Henry's are purty fer sure. I would just have to get over the feeding tube loading instead of a side loading gate. I guess I'm used to them in a .22 or .22 Mag, but not so sure about a centerfire. Not that I would be CASS shootin or fightin injins and needed to reload faster though.