Home Main Category General Firearms

New record sniper kill!

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
Supposedly there has been a new record sniper kill by a Canadian marksman at 3450 meters which is over two miles!
http://www.newser.com/story/244659/sniper-may-have-made-longest-kill-shot-in-history.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=earthlink&utm_campaign=rss_topnews
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,717 Senior Member
    I could do that with Mikes big 50, if I didn't flinch!:tooth:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,364 Senior Member
    I could do it with my .270 anyday, piece of cake! Yeah Right! That's what you call REALLY shooting into the next Zip Code!!! What surprises me is that the bullet had enough energy to penetrate anything.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,909 Senior Member
    i could do it with my .270 anyday, piece of cake! Yeah right! That's what you call really shooting into the next county!!! What surprises me is that the bullet had enough energy to penetrate anything.

fify

jay
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    225 MOA. The bullet, a 750 gr. Hornaday A-Max fired from a McMillian rifle, went subsonic around 2700 yds. That means the sound started to catch back up to it for the last 3+ seconds of it's 8 second flight. Who stands that still for 8 seconds? Amazing shot.

Now they are saying 3550 yds

Cool ballistics info on it

https://ryancleckner.com/canadian-sn...-shot-2-miles/
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,366 Senior Member
    As our resident bad ass has told me...... if you can see it, you can hit it. Aim higher or get a bigger gun. That said them Canuks can shoot!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    What surprises me is that the bullet had enough energy to penetrate anything.

According to the tables they showed, the bullet still had around 1350ft lbs of energy when it got there. That can easily punch a hole in a person.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,746 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    225 MOA. The bullet, a 750 gr. Hornaday A-Max fired from a McMillian rifle, went subsonic around 2700 yds. That means the sound started to catch back up to it for the last 3+ seconds of it's 8 second flight. Who stands that still for 8 seconds? Amazing shot.

I've spent quite a bit of time pulling targets at 1000 yard competition. I can assure you that if the bullet was subsonic for the last 1000 yards of its trajectory, there was no sound when it hit. In the pits we can usually detect if a bullet goes transonic before it gets to the target, provided it's within a 100 to 200 yards away at most. The sequence is "faint pop, plop." If the bullet goes subsonic further than the 100-200 yards, the sequence is "plop."
    On the other hand, a supersonic bullet is VERY loud at the target and that's why we wear hearing protection in the pits. That sequence is "CRACKplop."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    According to the tables they showed, the bullet still had around 1350ft lbs of energy when it got there. That can easily punch a hole in a person.
    :jester:
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    :jester:

Come on man, it ain't the same.:tooth:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,688 Senior Member
    Some of the Marine snipers interviewed for this article are skeptical and these folks say it was 2.2 miles :yikes: :worthy:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/06/22/canadian-special-operations-sniper-hit-target-from-more-than-2-miles-away-military-says/?utm_term=.fcf0249c3f9c

I kind of wonder how they even saw the target at that range :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Some of the Marine snipers interviewed for this article are skeptical and these folks say it was 2.2 miles :yikes: :worthy:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/06/22/canadian-special-operations-sniper-hit-target-from-more-than-2-miles-away-military-says/?utm_term=.fcf0249c3f9c

I kind of wonder how they even saw the target at that range :uhm:

The article that I linked said that he was on the he roof of a high rise building but it really wouldn't have been necessary since you can get a line of sight of around 12 miles with a slight elevation.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,564 Senior Member
    Article I just read stated that the Canadians claimed a hit not a kill.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,612 Senior Member
    Discrete, technical way to describe it, and it's fine to say it that way (Like "Not shooting to kill, but to stop the menace"); anyone with some terminal ballistics knowledge (Usually the people that will hardly make an hysterical media fuss about this) will understand that being hit almost for sure in the torso with a projectile of that weight still carrying such energy would be sort of devastating, specially considering the level of wound treatment facilities available to the average Daesh combatants. Even a limb wound would pretty much put "out of the game" the target sooner or later due to overall conditions.

What would the experienced shooters will consider being hit in such conditions equivalent with? Like getting shot with say an old big caliber black powder heavy bullet fired from a rifled musket at what range?
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,612 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    I've spent quite a bit of time pulling targets at 1000 yard competition. I can assure you that if the bullet was subsonic for the last 1000 yards of its trajectory, there was no sound when it hit. In the pits we can usually detect if a bullet goes transonic before it gets to the target, provided it's within a 100 to 200 yards away at most. The sequence is "faint pop, plop." If the bullet goes subsonic further than the 100-200 yards, the sequence is "plop."
    On the other hand, a supersonic bullet is VERY loud at the target and that's why we wear hearing protection in the pits. That sequence is "CRACKplop."

That's exactly what we experience at our local Army range when doing pit duty in 200 meters (220 yards?) shooting matches with usually .308 rifles, thus needing ear protection to avoid the unpleasant "CRACKplop!" effect you describe (And eye & head protection too, at least in the shape of a hat and sunglasses when some fool shoots low and hits the dirt over the pit, showering you with dust and gravel :angry:).
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,746 Senior Member
    Yeah, we mandate eye protection in the pits and strongly recommend brimmed hats as well. The reason is that if the bullet hits the spotter, pieces of cardboard and stuff get thrown around. I've been hit by some of that flying debris and it drew blood on my arm.