home grown lead

sakodudesakodude Senior MemberPosts: 3,166 Senior Member
Brought home the casting equipment from my dads and finally started messing around with it.
First batch done.

RCBS mold casting a 405 gr .458 round nose. Thinking these ought to be a hoot pushed by some TrailBoss powder.
I need to get the lube/sizer set up and then they will be ready to roll.

Sako

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,568 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    Brought home the casting equipment from my dads and finally started messing around with it.
    First batch done.

RCBS mold casting a 500 gr .458 round nose. Thinking these ought to be a hoot pushed by some TrailBoss powder.
    I need to get the lube/sizer set up and then they will be ready to roll.

Sako
    very cool! My highwall shoots that bullet very well.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,502 Senior Member
    As someone who has just started dipping my toes into the whole 45-70 hand loads thing... that is really interesting to me.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Those are BIG!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,161 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    As someone who has just started dipping my toes into the whole 45-70 hand loads thing... that is really interesting to me.

Hmmm. Interesting....
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,073 Senior Member
    Man, you didn't mess around. Big ol' bullets!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,501 Senior Member
    Pretty
    This message has been deleted

That is what they look live after going through a basketball sized sandstone rock and digging 8" into wet earth behind it. The "short" deformed bullet without the petal weighs 259 grains. That is a 500gr bullet. They work!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,166 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    very cool! My highwall shoots that bullet very well.
    These will be fired from ether my Marlin Cowboy, assuming they are not to long or my brothers Browning B-78.
    What powder are you using?

Sako
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Let me know if you want to try them, I'll send you a few.

Sako
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Man, you didn't mess around. Big ol' bullets!

Figured it was easier to re-learn casting with something big:jester: I cast a few .58 cal Minnie bullets as well. Unfortunately, I have nothing to shoot those out of..... Yet!

Sako
    These will be fired from ether my Marlin Cowboy, assuming they are not to long or my brothers Browning B-78.
    What powder are you using?

Sako
    Those will not fit in any repeating levergun. Those are a single shot only bullet. You might be able to single load them but they will be too long for your action. I use Reloader 7.

Ps after looking closer load up a dummy and measure it. It may have a short enough nose. Might.
    Those will not fit in any repeating levergun. Those are a single shot only bullet. You might be able to single load them but they will be too long for your action. I use Reloader 7.

Ps after looking closer load up a dummy and measure it. It may have a short enough nose. Might.

That was my concern. I had some 500 gr laser cast bullets that cycled fine so I'm hoping! I will do a dummy first. Guess if they don't fit then my brothers rifle gets a work out.

Sako
    That was my concern. I had some 500 gr laser cast bullets that cycled fine so I'm hoping! I will do a dummy first. Guess if they don't fit then my brothers rifle gets a work out.

Sako
    Either way:tooth:
    Don't load the dummy before you measure at least twice! Getting that over length round out is a pain!!!
    Don't load the dummy before you measure at least twice! Getting that over length round out is a pain!!!

Believe me, I know! made that mistake once with a 300 gr Barnes X, had to disassemble to get that sucker out:bang:

Sako
    Me too once, once.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 544 Senior Member
    I have debated getting some 405gr cast to use with some trail boss in my .458. Im guessing those will be a riot once loaded up. I hope they fit for you. Thats one massive looking bullet.
    mitdr774 wrote: »
    I have debated getting some 405gr cast to use with some trail boss in my .458. Im guessing those will be a riot once loaded up. I hope they fit for you. Thats one massive looking bullet.

There is NO guessing. They WILL be a hoot.
    Zee
    Pretty sure I'm good to go. I was quite certain my dad had said this was a 500gr mold, I just weighed one and it's a 405 and substantially shorter than the laser cast 500's I have.
    Still ought to be a pleasure to shoot with some trailboss.

Sako
    Anyone know if a mold can be reconditioned? I tried a 30cal I'm guessing about a 150gr sp mold in the collection and it is leaving a thin bit of flash at the base. Thought maybe the sprue plate was loose but no. Then I noticed a bit of a divot at the edge of the mold which I think is allowing a bit of lead to flow out of the mold.
    It's an RCBS mold. Anyone know if it can be sent back for repair?

Sako
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,087 Senior Member
    Cool stuff. I want to get a 45 Colt revolver to justify lead casting.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Anyone know if a mold can be reconditioned? I tried a 30cal I'm guessing about a 150gr sp mold in the collection and it is leaving a thin bit of flash at the base. Thought maybe the sprue plate was loose but no. Then I noticed a bit of a divot at the edge of the mold which I think is allowing a bit of lead to flow out of the mold.
    It's an RCBS mold. Anyone know if it can be sent back for repair?

Sako
    If it's a ding on the base, the mold can be milled off to make it flat again.

And if you're brave enough, all it will cost you is shipping to MOzambique to have it milled.

Edit: it WILL make the bullet shorter/lighter by removing metal from the mold. Not much, but it will make it different.
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    If it's a ding on the base, the mold can be milled off to make it flat again.

And if you're brave enough, all it will cost you is shipping to MOzambique to have it milled.

Edit: it WILL make the bullet shorter/lighter by removing metal from the mold. Not much, but it will make it different.

I'll take you up on that if your serious. A CPJ customized mold:jester: It looks like a gas check design so worst case it becomes a plain base, reduced power mold.
    PM me an address please and I get a project out to you.
    Thank you for the offer.

Sako
    I'll take you up on that if your serious. A CPJ customized mold:jester: It looks like a gas check design so worst case it becomes a plain base, reduced power mold.
    PM me an address please and I get a project out to you.
    Thank you for the offer.

Sako
    The only amount you'll "lose" on the mold will be equal to the amount I have to take off. (Duh)
    What I really mean is I'll take ONLY enough to take the ding out.
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,399 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Those are BIG!

Yep...but not quite as big as the 535 grain Postells I shoot in my Sharps...

I keep to 405 grain rnfp for my 1895 CB.... Along with some 300 grain cast lead hollow points...

Have you perchance considered the chamber pressure you are generating running those through your lever gun?.....Just some thinking on my part...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yep...but not quite as big as the 535 grain Postells I shoot in my Sharps...

I keep to 405 grain rnfp for my 1895 CB.... Along with some 300 grain cast lead hollow points...

Have you perchance considered the chamber pressure you are generating running those through your lever gun?.....Just some thinking on my part...

If you missed it above, I discovered these are infact 405's. I thought I recalled my dad saying this mold was a 500 so that is what I originally called them.
    The 500gr laser cast I have shot before were loaded rather tame so I doubt chamber pressures were ever a concern. But I do however appreciate your concern.
    My rifle is an 1895 CB as well but punishing loads are not my thing anymore.
    My go to load if I ever get the chance to hunt with this rifle uses the Hornady 350gr rnsp.
    All other shooting with this rifle will be fun trailboss loads.

Sako
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,877 Senior Member
    405's or 500's, they'll still be a hoot to shoot!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,501 Senior Member

Bet you like these, Klinger, they come with lipstick applied already.
    This message has been deleted
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,199 Senior Member
    Looks good Tom. :up:

While CPJ may act like a "jack-wagon", I've seen enough of his work to have faith in him pulling it off :beer:

And it once again shows why this place ROCKS :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    What alloy are you using? I've been able to cast some super-hard bullets using a 5% tin mix dropped into icewater from the mold. Some of them could have been reloaded and shot again after some very deep penetration into wet newsprint.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite