Home Main Category General Firearms

Magpul 10/22 Takedown. Slickety or Not?

PFDPFD Senior MemberPosts: 1,278 Senior Member
[FONT=&amp]Did this already get reviewed?

I can see the utility of the piece.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5474400384001/?intcmp=obnetwork#sp=show-clips

[/FONT]
That's all I got.

Paul

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I haven't seen it but I would think a Charger would have the same size and function for less cost.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I examined a factory takedown last Sunday. The photo don't look no better than the factory one to me. It already comes in its own carry case thats pretty slick.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Didn't the USAF issue a survival rifle to aircrews about 40 years ago that broke down and stored inside the plastic stock? It would even float. This thing looks like a poor copy of that concept.

Survival-open.png

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,476 Senior Member
    Henry still makes the AR 7 which is like the one pictured. I had one, it had a lot of plastic where plastic shouldn't be and was only middling accurate.

The USAF survival rifles were bolt guns I believe and chambered in .22 Hornet.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,476 Senior Member
    I've never had much reason to take apart a .22 rifle, or any other rifle, for that matter. I've got a old Savage .22 that's a take down, and had a 39M, but never actually took them down except to replace the extractor on the Savage.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,007 Senior Member
    I haven't found the right balance of characteristics with a takedown rifle yet. . .

Most of the dedicated survival rifles (i.e., AR-7) seem built to get you out of one jam. You pack them away until you need them, and if you need them for the intended purpose, they've paid for themselves. Unfortunately, they're too chintzy to want to play with much.

I think the 10/22 takedowns have the opposite problem - they're more plinkers that can double as survival rifles, and as such are too bulky for me to have much interest in sticking one in a backpack. . .especially considering that when I have a backpack on, I'm usually carrying a centerfire hunting rifle.

I'd like to see something that when broken down, would slide into a 3"-4" diameter watertight, floating plastic cylinder with mags, ammo, sling, and possibly other survival stuff in the voids (fishing line, firestarter, space blanket, etc...). THAT would work in a pack and leave room for other stuff. A bolt or other manual action would also be fine with me, as it would eliminate the extra weight needed in a blowback mechanism, as well as the need for a certain amount of recoil to function.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Anybody with half a brain could build something better than that from PVC pipe in one rainy afternoon in a well-equipped workshop.
    Jerry
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This is more like it. Bare bones..........

1973-THE-DAY-OF-THE-JACKA-004.jpg

And a cravat, one must have a cravat.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,595 Senior Member
    AR-7s were imported here and along with their ugliness and terrible ergonomics, they proved to be inaccurate serial jam-o-matics with everything their owners were able to feed them with.

In the other hand, the Marlin Papoose proved to be a MUCH better rifle for it's intended purpose, although it doesn't have the stock storage space of the Henry.

Friend of mine got one of those 10/22 Take downs and so far it has one of the best locking system I've tested.....a lot tougher than my FN SA-22 and much more easy and quick than my Winchester 1906, with the added benefit of better environment-resistant materials.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »

Especially a Polka-dotted one..............must be an English dude.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Anybody with half a brain could build something better than that from PVC pipe in one rainy afternoon in a well-equipped workshop.
    Jerry
    Really smart ones would sell the article to a publisher....

http://www.firearmsnews.com/gunsmithing/building-a-crickett-rifle-for-survival/
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,200 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »

Ha, just watched that the other night in its entirety, finally.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,604 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Didn't the USAF issue a survival rifle to aircrews about 40 years ago that broke down and stored inside the plastic stock?

Jerry

Yup. As Gene posted... AR 5. Bolt action, mag fed .22 Hornet. Was supposed to replace the M 4 (bolt action single shot .22 Hornet) and M 6 (break open .22 Hornet/.410 over under with a 'squeeze paddle' for a trigger). Originally intended for the XB 70 and adopted as the MA 1, but never issued. Armalite used the concept to develop the AR 7 for the civilian market.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,554 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »
    Magpul 10/22 Takedown. Slickety or Not?
    NOT :nono:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.